What octane rating is everyone running

That would make long cruises a challenge wouldn't it:rofl::rofl::rofl: Haven't seen that pump anywhere recently.

OH BOY...loud and wrong:rofl: Q-16 is 116 Octane, C-16 is 117 Octane.

From VP's site
C16
Used in turbocharged engines, blown engines and nitrous applications with CRs up to 17:1. Recommended by the top nitrous oxide companies. Spec Fuel for NHRA Comp Eliminator.
  • <LI class=fuel_list>Color: Blue <LI class=fuel_list>Motor Octane 117
  • Specific Gravity: .735 at 60° F
NEW! Q16
Q16 will work well in any drag racing or circle track application -- naturally aspirated, nitrous or blowers. Q16 is highly oxygenated, requiring a 4-6% increase in fuel flow, which will make 3-5% more power than competitive 116 octane fuels. Q16's oxygenation will significantly expand the range of air/fuel ratio acceptability, so performance will be more consistent and won't vary as dramatically with altitude or density changes. For bracket racers, variations in ET from run to run will be substantially reduced. This added fuel flow also effectively increases its octane by 6-8 numbers above its standard ASTM octane rating.

You cant get these at the pump, a local race-shop or try online. Be ready to pay about $75.00 for 5gallons. its not cheap.

Home > VP Racing Fuel > VP Racing Fuel C12 - 5 GallonVP Racing Fuel C12 - 5 Gallon
vp_fuels_color_rgb.jpg
Price: $65.00
Code: VPC12

Quantity:
Vee Dub Parts is now stocking VP Racing Fuel. VP is the standard for racing fuels of which all the others try to copy. If you want to go as fast and consistent as possible, this is the fuel for you.
5 gallon cans of the following in stock ready for immediate pick up.

The best all around racing fuel made. Recommended for CR's below 15:1, satisfying the needs of the 75% of todays race of the winningest fuels in racing history, including Modified Tour, GNN, D.I.R.T., Indy Lights, NHRA, AMA as well as other national championships across the US and around the world.
Color: Green
Motor Octane 108
Specific Gravity: .717 at 60 degree F

THIS FUEL CANNOT BE SHIPPED! YOU MUST COME PICK IT UP AT OUR STORE!

Japanese engineer says "You use 87 octane now!" for gen1. If you change timing (ignition or valve) or compression you may want to play it safe and octane up. If your stock save your money. I have heard that switching between different octanes (flashpoint and anti detonation devices) you can foul your 02 sensors. Your exhaust gases coat these sensors with residuals over time. Probably not entirely accurate.

Just filled up today with 93, These Ultra High Compression Gen. 2's Need this stuff so they won't have a preignition problem.:laugh: Besides,I think that's what suzuki said to put in it and they Smart.

With the K8, the compression ratio was raised to 12.5 to 1. The owners manual says the motorcycle requires premium unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 90.

Also, if you have a TRE (timing retard eliminator), it might be a good thing to increase the octane to avoid detonation.

I use 91

Last edited:
My Ninja runs 12.5:1, and 87 octane. No pinging.

Displacement has a lot to do with the compression vs. octane bit. Your Trans Am, I'm assuming is the 5.7L V8, right? The Busa has less than half the displacement per cylinder of that engine, and so can use a lower octane.

Edit: And naturally the OP is over 3 years old. AND I replied to it 3 years ago, too. Damn I'm good. :cool:

Last edited:
Wow...good topic...read my post on the fuel problems and u will see why im not gonna run 87 anymore. I been runnin it since my first bike 10 years ago...with no problems. But a little over a week ago i ran into some fuel issues so im gonna do with my busa what i do with my m109...im going with the middle (plus) gas at the pump. I figure if the debate is the lowest versus the highest....u cant go wrong with the middle...lol

Gen II says minimum 90, don't have 90 around here, so I run shell 93...

Japanese engineer says "You use 87 octane now!" for gen1. If you change timing (ignition or valve) or compression you may want to play it safe and octane up. If your stock save your money. I have heard that switching between different octanes (flashpoint and anti detonation devices) you can foul your 02 sensors. Your exhaust gases coat these sensors with residuals over time. Probably not entirely accurate.
gen 1 has no o2 sensor

I figure I get pretty decent gas mileage (not that mpg has anything to due with octane rating) so I can spend a few extra bucks.

depends on GEN I or GEN II... I know that the GEN II's call for at least 90 (per manual)... so that's what I put in it... I figure the engineers at Suzuki should know what they are talking about :laugh:

i thought it had something to do with how much water is in the gas and all that stuff.i"ve heard of the lower octane has more water. either way I cant tell the difference being im on my first tank of gas.... ha ha with only 70miles on the odmeter . ...i put in sonoco 94 octane...but I will try the others also

You know I hear this sooooo often or that lower octane is equal to lower quality gas. A Stock Busa will run just fine on 87 or regular gas. When I ride with other riders on 600 or 1k they all run premium and tease me about putting 87 in the bike. Even when I try to explain how diferent our engines are they still dont understand. However now that I have a rebuilt my engine to a 1397cc I now run premium, becuase of the higher compression.

Back