7000+ft altitude, hot weather, 85 octane

mcoyote

Registered
I am now in Colorado Springs.

It's 7000+ft in altitude, the weather is pretty hot (it's summer, y'know?) and they're selling 85 octane ethanol blends at the pump. I am used to running 87 octane dino fuel, sometimes higher in summer to run cooler.

I know that the thinner air means less power, but can the lower octane offset that a bit? Does the lower octane gas present problems for the engine? Thanks!

Can the Busa burn ethanol? I'm not sure if you want to use that stuff. Not only that but it does come with a loss of power as well.

Just recently filled her up with the gas which had 10% ethanol. No problem.

I just found this. Make sure you know what kind of mix it is.

Ethanol Blends - E10 and E85
All motor vehicles manufactured since the 1970s can run on E10, a blend of 10 percent ethanol. E10, which does not require engine modifications, also significantly lowers carbon monoxide levels. E10 is available at your local gas pump.

E85 is a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent unleaded gasoline. E85 is not compatible with all motor vehicles. However, numerous vehicles are able to burn E85. These automobiles, called Flexible Fuel Vehicles (FFV) can run on a combination of ethanol and gasoline of up to 85 percent ethanol blend. The Big Three automakers are expected to increase FFV offerings in the future years.

Here in Calgary we are 3500 ft and countless times I've been told to run lower octane here due to the altitude, the higher octane fuels don't burn as efficiently. I run 89 octane all the time and it seems to be fine. You are at 7000 ft !! HOLY CRAP, I had no idea Colorado had highways that high up - watch out for 737's while you are up there
laugh.gif

I live here in CO at 7k... and I always run 87 in mine. I have ran 85 before and that seems to work too...

Cloud

Back