85 Octane Gasoline

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
Alright y'all, I have seen a recent post on gasoline which is still being debated... Everyone debates premium vs. regular(which in most states is 87)

Here in Denver, our regular is 85, plus is 87/89, and premium is 91....

Since there is less oxygen here in Denver because of the altitude, would it make sense to run 85 ocatane to lean out the gas a bit for the lack of oxygen...?

I have been running 87, but I am thinking that I may start trying 85. Does anyone know anything about gasoline and altitude and what to run. They only seem to run 85 octane or even sell it at high altitudes and I am wanting to run the correct stuff for my bike...

Cloud

hmm good question, my city is in the clouds as well, will be watching this topic. I've never seen 85 octane here, 87 is our lowest to my knowledge, 89 is mid-grade, (at Esso anyway), and Supreme is 91.

Alright y'all, I have seen a recent post on gasoline which is still being debated... Everyone debates premium vs. regular(which in most states is 87)

Since there is less oxygen here in Denver because of the altitude, would it make sense to run 85 ocatane to lean out the gas a bit for the lack of oxygen...?

I have been running 87, but I am thinking that I may start trying 85. Does anyone know anything about gasoline and altitude and what to run. They only seem to run 85 octane or even sell it at high altitudes and I am wanting to run the correct stuff for my bike...

Cloud
If you do, go 3 tank fulls of 85 and If it feels better and dyno's better, stick with it, if it is not feeling right go with 87 at least and remap. See how that then goes. Also maybe concider a BMC Race Filter. Get more air in. Or try the Filter First... I am in Fla Daytona Area... Here it is @8 feet below sea level... Suposidly... Anyhow something to think about... but if you do try 85, run 3 tank fulls min, you cannot on 1 tank, 3 should give you a good idea on how 85 is going to work... like my car says 87 I tried 92-93 for 3 tanks, did nothing so went back to 87... Why waist the extra money when you get nothing out of it. so if 85 works Good
smile.gif

Also hope you do find best octane for your area...

Cloud
If you do, go 3 tank fulls of 85 and If it feels better and dyno's better, stick with it, if it is not feeling right go with 87 at least and remap. See how that then goes. Also maybe concider a BMC Race Filter. Get more air in. Or try the Filter First... I am in Fla Daytona Area... Here it is @8 feet below sea level... Suposidly... Anyhow something to think about... but if you do try 85, run 3 tank fulls min, you cannot on 1 tank, 3 should give you a good idea on how 85 is going to work... like my car says 87 I tried 92-93 for 3 tanks, did nothing so went back to 87... Why waist the extra money when you get nothing out of it. so if 85 works Good
smile.gif

Have the filter already along with the exhaust, PC, etc... I have been working to tune my bike so that it runs perfectly. After a year or so, I am getting close, but I still am not positive on the gas for high altitude. You need to lean out the fuel/air mixture in high altitude, I am just trying to figure out if 85 helps in this area and if I should be using 87 instead.

Thanks for the post and reply...
Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091832752 -->

I haven't looked into the FI on the Busa but I do know the FI on my old CX bikes constantly takes into account for altitude changes and adjusts the air/fuel mixture accordingly.
An atmospheric pressure sensor detects atmospheric pressure and sends proper signals to the ECU. Along with intake air temperature, water temperature, charging pressure and engine speed sensors the air/fuel ratio and timing is always at perfection even at 10,000 ft. As long as they have 94 octane all is good no matter where you're at.

Considering those are 22 year old Honda's I have a hard time believing a new bike wouldn't have all those features...then again the Busa doesn't have a self diagnosing ECU with it's own LED display built into the side of the computer
wink.gif

Cloud
smile.gif

Have the filter already along with the exhaust, PC, etc... I have been working to tune my bike so that it runs perfectly. After a year or so, I am getting close, but I still am not positive on the gas for high altitude. You need to lean out the fuel/air mixture in high altitude, I am just trying to figure out if 85 helps in this area and if I should be using 87 instead.

Cloud
Actually it is a great thing to think about altitude and all see I am @8 feet below or above... sea level and also 87 is recommended, Try 3 tank fulls and see if it seems to run better, CAN ALWAYS GO BACK to 87...

Cloud
smile.gif

Cloud
Actually it is a great thing to think about altitude and all see  I am @8 feet below or above... sea level and also 87 is recommended, Try 3 tank fulls and see if it seems to run better, CAN ALWAYS GO BACK to 87...
I have ran 85 in it a couple of time, but not consistently; I usually use 87. I will go ahead and give it a shot! 3 tanks at 85 and I will let you know if it runs any differently here in about 2 weeks.

Back