What octane rating is everyone running

87 here also. I love when im at the pump and people see the Busa and realize im using 87 octane they cant believe it. As far as compresion it has to do with cam timming and duration. Thats how they are able to use so much compresion and not ping. Even though its 1999 technology its still much better then the old days when anything over 9to1 compresion had to use premium fuel.

Stock engine ih a Hayabusa will make better HP on 87 if you are running pump gas. I run 87 for that reason.

Hummmmmmmm, filled up the Busa today for $11.50 and my car for $52.00
sad.gif
. Glad my Busa only needs 87 and runs like a charm
biggrin.gif

uh, yeah Marc-you NEED the blend to handle the boost on that Beast!
biggrin.gif

i switched up to 87 after seeing this thread bout three weeks ago...was running 93 before that, n could always smell unburnt fumes when I was at idle. I even had a few of my boys show me at stoplights-you could see the vapor in their headlights. Once i changed up, that all went away, n no more soot on the tips of my purty HMF pipes:)

Water injection has lots of neat benefits. As already mentioned, it can help prevent knock, allowing engines that normally need higher octane to run without detonation on lower octane fuel. It also increases horsepower, as the water is heated into steam during the combustion process, increasing internal pressure during the combustion stroke.

I have been running premium 91 and 93 since I got the bike in February. I notice at the tip of the Muzzy there is always black build up and also notice that when first started will blow junk out the pipe (figured this out when wife made me wash the side of the garage where I usually start up). Do I understand correctly that this is because I am running too high of octane and therefore I should change to 87? Also, I put a half a tank of 100, and could swear it had more low end punch.

I have run 1400 mile round trips to Utah using both 87 & 91 octane and found that the miles per gallon were higher with the higher octane, not by much though. I had heard about this and decided to try out on my next trips and found it was true. It seems that for longer periods of freeway driving it was beneficial to use the higher of the two but for commuting there hasn't been as big of a difference except for the co$t which, for commuting, didn't make sense to buy the higher octane if I'm getting pretty much the same mileage out of a tank with the lower octane. I have also heard it's not good to be switching fuels constantly (i.e....brands & octane) for the long term care of the internal combustion areas of the engine. I have always run 91 & 92 when it was available since I'm mostly on the freeway.

this topic was discussed at great length a few years ago on this board and the consensus then was to use 87 octane.

for fuel for this fire: at my last track day, I had to fill the tank halfway through the day. ended up putting 100 oct race fuel in - all they had at the track: 100, 110 and 120 ? I forget. I noticed no difference other than perhaps it ran slower due to the temp and hotter air in the afternoon i which would be normal change across the span of a day anyway. I feel the bus engine is very forgiving. I had no knock, or issues always running 87 here in Iowa and the engine still runs like a champ

2006 I run 87 When i let off the throttle after a hard acceleration on premium it would back fire. I didn't feel any better performance from the more expensive and higher octane fuel. so I think she likes regular:laugh:

I have been running premium 91 and 93 since I got the bike in February. I notice at the tip of the Muzzy there is always black build up and also notice that when first started will blow junk out the pipe (figured this out when wife made me wash the side of the garage where I usually start up). Do I understand correctly that this is because I am running too high of octane and therefore I should change to 87? Also, I put a half a tank of 100, and could swear it had more low end punch.

Try a gallon of C-12 mixed with your pump gas on heavy riding days. Especially if you are going to be runing pretty hard. The tip of the pipe will be clean and white looking. I used to run it about once a month in mine to keep everything nice and clean. Plus, when you run by your buddies at night they'll have a pretty blue night light to follow behind:laugh:

Back