What octane rating is everyone running

LightCycle

Donating Member
Registered
Hey all... I was just reading a post over in the Preventitive Maintanance section about fuel systems and someone posted about using an 87 octane rated gas. I've been doing as much reading as I can, and don't remember this being discussed recently.

Although the manual advises us to use a minimum of 87 I had questioned this due to the high compression ratio 11.0:1. I always run a higher octane gas in higher compression engines (such as my Trans Am) especially in the summer due to premature combustion, which will wreck an engine.

This topic had been discussed to death on many of the Trans Am sites, with the general concensus being that it was better to run a higher octane gas due to high compression of the engine and the heat of the summer. Most owners run this year round - including myself. (My TA's computer is custom tuned).

I have also seen the effects of a lower octane gas during a fuel system cleaning. Tail pipe was smoking so much during the cleaning that it looked like the engine was blown.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on this.

BTW - anyone know what happend to the search button? I did go back as far as I could in the posts to make sure this wasn't just discussed... I didn't seen anything.

Cheers

I pump 89. The search button....I still see it in the same place next to the "members" and "help" buttons.

I still see it in the same place next to the "members" and "help" buttons.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Big T. I'm glad it wasn't a snake... I woulda got bit. Been looking for that button for a while.

Thanks again.

Sure am Gunny... did some quick reading and think I'm going to try 87 on the next fill up and see how she does.

I use 87 in both bikes here in SoCal and have never had a problem
wink.gif

I run 93 or 94, but there WAS a recent discussion of this here at the .Org, and if I recall correctly, most seemed to think that higher octane wasn't needed because, among other things, it caused the Busa to run hotter.

87 because

1) I dont have any problems with detonation (dont have a high compression motor, forced induction or advanced timing)
2) I prefer gas that has the fastest turnover rate, most ppl use 87 (which is why its always that button that has the most wear) especially now that gas prices are so high.

My mom's Cadillac has a 4.6L V8 with 10.3:1 compression.  It says right on the gauge, "Premium Unlead ONLY".  My Ninja, with 12.4:1 compression, gets poor gas mileage on the stuff.  When I use 87, my economy jumps up.  It also runs better. Detonation is not just a function of compression, it's also a function of displacement.

More displacement = more gas per charge = more volatile mixture = easier detonation.

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145920099 -->

Nothing but premium (92) for my busa. She's worth it! Probably senseless I know but piece of mind is all I have at he end of the day(or ride).

Nothing but premium (92) for my busa. She's worth it! Probably senseless I know but piece of mind is all I have at he end of the day(or ride).
I'm the opposite. I get peace of mind knowing that I'm getting full HP, maximum mileage and no premature carbon deposits by running the 87 octane fuel the bike was designed for. And at the end of my day I'm left with some extra $ money in my wallet.
smile.gif

No sheet....87

I just assumed...race motor, highest octane possible. Never even gave it a minimum microsecond of thought and been running 93.

Huh...so my busa will actually run better on 87
rock.gif

Back