What did you do to your other motorcycle today ?

2F07F15A-9F00-4ABC-9956-25C8468DB178.jpeg
Hustled the big girl through some curves!

Working a bit more on the blackout project. Got some black fork sliders and started the painting of the forks. After a good cleaning I used some self etching primer and epoxy engine paint. I will probably put a good 10-15 coats then let them cure for a week before polishing them.

View attachment 1665889

View attachment 1665890
It's always good to have a hobby and a project..

Good job in making that bike your own, it will be awesome when you are finished...

I started putting the new belt on my 1987 Electra Glide. I can tell you guys that grief and 6 months of waiting will make you forget just about every thing. lol I have the manual for it but it sucks. It says things like go from section 2.43 to 7.8 page 4 image 12, then just put it back together. WTF? Stone sober I'm confused as hell. lol I'll get it now that the Hayabusa is done with the fuel issues.

My Dad and I put ceramic wheel bearings in the '18 gsxr1k
The front 2 bearings came out easliy with a slide hammer in an internal bearing puller set.
The rear 2 bearings would not come out with the slide hammer, as their I.D. is larger, and between sizes for the removal tools, so they couldn't get a strong enough bite.
So, old school, hammer and a punch, with the center spacer moved just enough to get the punch on the edge of the bearing.
A couple hits and both came right out, and suprisingly without even a scratch or dent from the punch.
The sprocket hub bearing pressed out easily, and all 5 bearings were pressed back in.
The bearings seat against shoulders, and I measured their depths before and after.
The new bearings measure the same, and the spacers have the same very small amount of free play.
They all swapped pretty easily, as I've had ones that were much harder to remove before.
The old dust seals could be reused, but new ones are supposed to be here this week.
Next, I'll mount and balance new tires(a Q3 and Q4), and put in some EBC XX Extreme Pro front brake pads(stock pads still look new), as well as a new Vortex aluminum rear sprocket.
I have a new chain and front sprocket as well, but after the wheels are back on, I'm going to pull the transmission and put ceramic bearings in it too, then a clutch, 2-oil changes, try out the MoTool Moto-Slacker on the suspension...and get back to regular riding.

20230430_170704.jpg

20230430_175216.jpg

20230430_180623.jpg

20230430_173547.jpg

20230430_175105.jpg

20230430_194358.jpg

My Dad and I put ceramic wheel bearings in the '18 gsxr1k
The front 2 bearings came out easliy with a slide hammer in an internal bearing puller set.
The rear 2 bearings would not come out with the slide hammer, as their I.D. is larger, and between sizes for the removal tools, so they couldn't get a strong enough bite.
So, old school, hammer and a punch, with the center spacer moved just enough to get the punch on the edge of the bearing.
A couple hits and both came right out, and suprisingly without even a scratch or dent from the punch.
The sprocket hub bearing pressed out easily, and all 5 bearings were pressed back in.
The bearings seat against shoulders, and I measured their depths before and after.
The new bearings measure the same, and the spacers have the same very small amount of free play.
They all swapped pretty easily, as I've had ones that were much harder to remove before.
The old dust seals could be reused, but new ones are supposed to be here this week.
Next, I'll mount and balance new tires(a Q3 and Q4), and put in some EBC XX Extreme Pro front brake pads(stock pads still look new), as well as a new Vortex aluminum rear sprocket.
I have a new chain and front sprocket as well, but after the wheels are back on, I'm going to pull the transmission and put ceramic bearings in it too, then a clutch, 2-oil changes, try out the MoTool Moto-Slacker on the suspension...and get back to regular riding.

View attachment 1665956

View attachment 1665957

View attachment 1665958

View attachment 1665959

View attachment 1665960

View attachment 1665961
It’s nice to have the right tool including the hydraulic press

Mounted and balanced a Q3+ and a Q4 for the 2018 Gsxr1000R
Mismatched simply for cost, saved over $100 vs a pair of either.
I have put both on this bike more than once, so no worries.
They are stock sizes
120/70/17 and a 190/55/17
Some tires go right on, others will fight you. I use window cleaner to lube the tire and wheel with, as after many tires, I've found it to work well with easy clean up.
The front went on easily, until the last third of the 2nd tire bead, and it wasn't going.
I needed a heat gun, but since I borrow one the rare time I need one, oh well.
So, I tried the ziptie trick, to tighten 5 to 8 of them around the tire to close the sides together, push the tire on, cut the zipties, and it's on.
It worked, and quite well too, lol.
I was really suprised.
In future I will get the heatgun ahead of time, as I've used it on a few tires over the years on ones that have been stubborn, and in warm weather I do lay the tires out in the sun.
Anyway, the rear tire basically jumped on the wheel to make up for the front, lol
I still plan to buy a Rabaconda streetbike tire changer in the future, as it's ratcheting handle takes the beads off or puts them on, and takes most of the physical effort out of the job, unlike their older model that I have, which still works really well.
I balanced both on my static balancer(I still need to get some material, probabaly derlin, to have cones made out of for my tire balancing machine), and now I'm waiting on the wheels' dust seals, then to put the wheels with new rear sprocket and front brake pads on.

20230502_211515.jpg

20230502_211837.jpg

20230502_213645.jpg

20230502_222106.jpg

Back