Wearing Helmets

I have no sympathy for idiots that don't wear helmets and suffer horrible injuries because of it.

YOU make that choice every time you get on the bike. YOU choose to be irresponsible and do the WRONG thing.

Why *I* and other responsible riders have to pay for it, I have no idea.

For those of you that think riding with no helmet makes you look cool, it's quite the opposite. It makes you look like a giant idiot with no helmet on a motorcycle (for lack of a better way of putting it).

And really, you think you can hear or see better with no helmet? Really? The *ONLY* person you are convincing is yourself, the rest of us (those of us with a clue), know bett
Happy head injuries!
thumb_down.gif

The question was wheter or not you're wearing a helmet. It had nothing to do with the way you feel about people not wearing one. Please refrain from making idiotic statements.

I rode without a helmet for about 6 months when the helmet law was removed loved the freedom I felt the air hitting me in the face, the sound of the bike. Feels awesome. Then after getting pelted in the forehead by dragon flies an pebbles which hurt ALOT i started thinking what the ground is going to feel like at 60 mph. Haven't rode without it again. My co-worker's nephew was recently in accident, he is brain dead after the accident. was stopped at a light got hit from behind while he was stopped at a light on his cruiser.Car was only going about 20mph. Since he never rode over 35 an never got on the HWY he figured he would never need one. There taking him off life support this Sunday. I can post before the accident an after pics if it will help you decide.

The only time I rode without a helmet was when I was in Myrtle beach going 5 mph on the strip. My motorcycle mechanic has no front teeth, and a titanium left cheek. Take a wild guess....

I rode without a helmet for about 6 months when the helmet law was removed loved the freedom I felt the air hitting me in the face, the sound of the bike. Feels awesome. Then after getting pelted in the forehead by dragon flies an pebbles which hurt ALOT i started thinking what the ground is going to feel like at 60 mph. Haven't rode without it again. My co-worker's nephew was recently in accident, he is brain dead after the accident. was stopped at a light got hit from behind while he was stopped at a light on his cruiser.Car was only going about 20mph. Since he never rode over 35 an never got on the HWY he figured he would never need one. There taking him off life support this Sunday. I can post before the accident an after pics if it will help you decide.

I understand all that. I've been riding for over thirty years. Wearing or not wearing one should be a matter of personal choice regardless of the consequences. The point I was trying to make is that once the question in regards to wearing a helmet or not was asked, some people turned into male nannies, expressing their personal concerns in the process of condemning the ones that choose not to wear a helmet. The question was very clear. "Do you wear a helmet or not?" And the answer should have been either yes or no. That's all I'm saying...

There was a time when I didn't wear a helmet, but I have always worn one on the Busa. I've seen to many serious head injuries that would not have been so bad if they were wearing helmets. I don't believe in helmet laws, but I do believe in wearing helmets.... I don't want to crack my scull because of not wearing a helmet.

OKLA No helmet law here, In the past I have ridden a Harley, a Honda Shadow, A V-max, a VTX wih no helmet, But I have to tell you when I bought my Busa I turned right around to the accessories counter and bought a helmet, Just the look of this bike scared the hell out of me, and you know what it still does at times.

I understand all that. I've been riding for over thirty years. Wearing or not wearing one should be a matter of personal choice regardless of the consequences. The point I was trying to make is that once the question in regards to wearing a helmet or not was asked, some people turned into male nannies, expressing their personal concerns in the process of condemning the ones that choose not to wear a helmet. The question was very clear. "Do you wear a helmet or not?" And the answer should have been either yes or no. That's all I'm saying...

Sorry for the story then guess it 's yes for a little while then not anymore helmet always.But I enjoyed the riding with out helmet a lot more than riding with it on.

When i bought my first bike (2001 honda cbr 600 f4) i also bought a helmet and a jacket but i didnt wear it all the time. On my way to work one day i was running late and for some reason something told me to put my jacket and helmet on that day. I did and luckily i did. A car pulled out in front of me unexpectidly and i hit him at over 100mph. When i was in the emergency room, one of the cops came in to give me my ticket and helmet and stuff and came over to the bed and told me something i will never forget. He said that i made a very good choice to put the gear on today because instead of just my shattered leg an physical therapy that he would be shoveling me up and be putting me in a bag and taking me to the coroners office like he had to for his son. He was one of the cops that got called to a motorcycle crash and didnt know it was his own son till he got there. He was telling me all this with tears in his eyes. From that point on im never going out on my bike without my helmet. I admit i go without my jacket from time to time but never without my helmet. Its everyones choice to go with or without your helmet and im not going to preach to whoever doesnt because i dont preach to the crackheads to stop smoking crack and we end up paying for their medical bills too once they end up in jail or the hospital or wherever they go. The ones that piss me off are the ones that ride with the helmet attached to the bike.

Oh im in fl with no helmet law and i ride a 07 busa

When i can afford one, i will be getting one. ( its the next mod on my list of things for the bike)

A Hayabusa costs ~$11k new and obviously less than that if you buy used. A helmet costs roughly $100 for entry level on up to $700 for super-high-end. You can afford to buy a bike, but not a helmet?

When i was in the emergency room, one of the cops came in to give me my ticket and helmet and stuff and came over to the bed and told me something i will never forget. He said that i made a very good choice to put the gear on today because instead of just my shattered leg an physical therapy that he would be shoveling me up and be putting me in a bag and taking me to the coroners office like he had to for his son. He was one of the cops that got called to a motorcycle crash and didnt know it was his own son till he got there. He was telling me all this with tears in his eyes. From that point on im never going out on my bike without my helmet.

That was a powerful story. I'm sorry you had to go through that situation, but at least you were willing to accept a new perspective. Some of these guys who've posted ahead of you seem to think an infinite supply of scientific research and accident scene photos are still not enough to change their mind. I'm glad you've seen the light.

That was a powerful story. I'm sorry you had to go through that situation, but at least you were willing to accept a new perspective. Some of these guys who've posted ahead of you seem to think an infinite supply of scientific research and accident scene photos are still not enough to change their mind. I'm glad you've seen the light.

Ty. Yes ive seen the light. What gets me also is that here in florida and i dont know if there is anywhere else is that i dont mind seeing it i just dont want to see the after effects is girls on the bike in bikinis or skirts or short shorts or even sometimes thongs. If they go down the arent going to look that good afterwards. I wish some people would just stop and think "what if" and put that into perspective.

Thats all irrelevant to the subject of this thread. The subject of this thread is about if you do or dont wear helmets and why. So why does it matter if it was my fault or not and how fast i was going to what the speed limit was. I learned my mistake and thats all that matters. I posted this story in regards that my helmet and jacket saved my life in my accident so that way maybe someone who doesnt, it might influence them to do so. I didnt post this to get flamed or questioned about if i wasnt going that fast it probably wouldnt ahve happened. So as to your question Busa_Nick im not going to answer it. So lets stop questioning everyones storys or reasons why they dont wear their helmet and continue on with thread like it was meant too.

I would like to see a law where if we come up on a crash and there is a dead motorcyclist without a helmet. We call your family and friends to clean up the mess.

Was that out loud.... excuse my cold comment.
I don't like seeing dead people because they enjoy their freedom.
Can't erase the memories of senseless death.
Don't like paying for the ones that live and become a ward of the state because they can't afford to pay all the long term medical care. Now it gets in my pocket.

No helmet = squid --anyway you look at it.
No excuse for no helmet... just a bad choice.
No gear, no gloves?
Whats the going rate for new skin?
Priceless - there is no way to grow it back.
Try not using your hands for one day. Wear gloves!

Back