Wearing corrective lenses under helmet

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
I wear progressive lenses and they are a :banghead::banghead: under the Shoei helmet.

If it's cold, they fog up. If I tuck in, they get in the way of my vision and the fit under the helmet is never perfect.

Anyone here have a solution?

Lasik, RKA, contacts, lol. I have to wear glasses to but just regular ones and it sucks. I wish I could afford corrective eye surgery just to get rid of the damn glasses.

I finally got sick of messing with glasses, so I opted for contacts...no regrets and so much easier than fooling around with glasses...

I finally got sick of messing with glasses, so I opted for contacts...no regrets and so much easier than fooling around with glasses...

Yup,yup....what Michelle said, I'll never go back to glasses. :thumbsup:

Lasik caveats:

Lasik does not always compleltely correct vision; i.e glasses may still be needed after Lasik.

Lasik can decrease your visual acuity (even if corrected afterwards by glasses). Dr's seldom tell patients this fact. Like the majority of people who need glasses, I am nearsighted. But my close-up vision is excellent and I need this to inspect things I design or troubleshoot. That's why I never got Lasik.

If you are nearing 40, and you fix myopia (nearsightedness) you will then need glasses for reading; i.e. you are just trading in which situations you will need glasses.

Check reports of night vision problems after Lasik also.

As for contacts, be aware that they make you more sensitive to wind borne dust or dirt, (it can be bad to get a piece of dirt in your eye when on the turnpike with a passenger and a full face helmet) and sometimes glare.

Check into multifocal contact lenses if you haven't already. They offer the best of both worlds: no glasses, along with good near and distance vision.

While I don't require multifocal lenses, I've found that the Acuvue Oasys to be the most comfortable contacts.

you can have them make u a new visor for the helmet that is corrected for your vision:whistle:

I wear contacts as others do. No more problems with glasses not fitting under helmet(well excetp for my clear glasses for at night( I use a dark sheild for daytime)

I wear trifocals, can see just fine far away, but am half blind up close. I just take 'em off while I'm riding, can see the road and everything on it great, and know which blob is what on the gauges.
When I take off the helmet, the glasses go back on.
Can you just do that?

i have worn glasses nearly all of my 45 years on the blessed earth and i can appreciate your situation. One thing I noticed for me anyways is this. as for glasses I use frames that the arms of the glasses bend down in back around the ear a bit. the traditional look. I did try a pair that had a straight or near strait back arms and i could not wear them in my arai or my shoei. kept pushing on the arms moving them forward and it was really frustrating. once i went to the bent arm style i have had no such issues. I also wear contacts and that works well for me especially at the strip when im tucked in low. dont have to worry about looking over my glasses which i invariably do when i wear glasses just due to the tuck.

Thanks for the help folks. Looks like multifocal contacts is the next thing to try. Never tried contacts before.

I'm in the same ship as you guys and thought bout contacts but when you ride with your visor up doesn't the wind dry them out ?

I have a shoei RF1000 and used to wear glasses. I had the exact same problems you did, then i went to contacts. Best thing I ever did. Acuvue Oasis

Back