Wearing Helmets

I live in CT. and there is no helmet law in this state
I always wear my helmet though.
Car turned left in front of me 17 years ago and took me out bad.
My son turns 17 in two months and he might not have ever known me if I wasn't wearing my helmet that day.
Always,Always,Always!!!

No lid law in Ohio, but I wear one 100% of the time.  Used to not wear one.  Started wearing it after I got lucky and was permitted to stay alive after wrecking my Busa.  5 days of bed rest in ICU gives you alot of time to think about things.

The only time that I don't wear it is when I am pushing it out of the garage to ride.
thumb_up.gif

I use full coverage too, boots, leather pants, leather, or a good textile jacket, gloves, and a good helmet.

My own rule; If the motor is running, the helmet should be on your noggin.
HJC CL-15.

Remember that MOST accidents happen less than 10 miles from home....
beerchug.gif

The ones that really make me wonder "What were they thinking" are the dummies who don't use eye protection.
Now that is just plane stupid.

I always wear my helmet even though Fla doesn't require you too as long as you have the required ins coverage. I enjoy riding & want to make sure I do everything in my power to keep me doing exactly that..

I feel if you choose not to wear your helmet, you should automatically be an organ donor...Some peoples risks could save someone elses life then...

Hayabusa, Ohio, I DONT wear a helmet
1. if I wore a helmet I would feel invincible and ride like a squid. NOT wearing a helmet keeps me form speeding and makes me pay a helluva lot more attention to the missle between my legs.
2. thats why i ride slow and careful but i get there in 1 piece.
3. I have neck problems(football injurey), and if i wear a helmet for a leghnthy time, i wont be able to move my head the next day.
4. If i hit the pavement it wont be that hard, i ride slow, but if i do hit pavement fast/hard i dont wanna see the scars for the rest of my life.
I think you've got a few misconceptions on helmets. If I remember the "Hurt" helmet report I read a couple years ago...

an impact to your head at 17mph is enough to kill you.

If you stand in a room and free fall over and your head hits the floor,
it will strike it at 17 mph. Obviously it matters if you crumple downward,
your arm comes out, you hit carpet etc...but you get the idea.

If you fall over in the driveway (and fall just right, like you arm doesn't break your fall etc) your head will hit the driveway at 17mph and you may die.

If you are travelling at 60 mph, and you fall...horizontal velocity will not affect downward acceleration (unless you got wings on head) traveling at 60 and falling your head will hit the pavement at 17mph (and then skid at 60)...but the cause of your death will probably not be the skidding.

So my point is...riding slow in no way negates the neccessity of wearing a helmet or insures your survival once an accident occures.

Have you tried really light helmets, my Shoei rf1000 and my Arai are both real light and I'm sure some are lighter.

BTW-Not wearing a helmet so "I would feel invincible and ride like a squid. NOT wearing a helmet keeps me form speeding and makes me pay a helluva lot more attention"  
rock.gif
that's a little different philosphy that's kinda like saying...I'm not buying any condoms cause I don't want any kids, that way I wont engage in any sex  
poke.gif
 And when Jessica Biel or the pud on the 600 say "Let's Go"...there you are with no protection.  
lol1.gif

Just a thought...

2007_i_pronounce_you_014.jpg
That is the way I think about it.. IF someone was to, lets say rear end you at a stoplight wearing a helmet could actually make the diffrence between you shaking it off and being pissed and you actually being killed.

I wear a GMAX GM68S full-face helmet, Fieldsheer full leathers, Fieldsheer race gloves, and SIDI boots. We get 100+ degree days in the Summer here,.......and even with all this gear on,..........it's a HELLUVA lot cooler to my skin than sliding down the asphalt on your bare head, tee shirt, shorts and tennis shoes. Whatcha think???

Hayabusa, Ohio, I DONT wear a helmet
1. if I wore a helmet I would feel invincible and ride like a squid. NOT wearing a helmet keeps me form speeding and makes me pay a helluva lot more attention to the missle between my legs.
2. thats why i ride slow and careful but i get there in 1 piece.
3. I have neck problems(football injurey), and if i wear a helmet for a leghnthy time, i wont be able to move my head the next day.
4. If i hit the pavement it wont be that hard, i ride slow, but if i do hit pavement fast/hard i dont wanna see the scars for the rest of my life.
What a bunch of Horsepoop. If your that hurt then maybe a bike isn't for you.

i would be dead if i didnt always wear a helmet
so would my girlfriend
so would at least 5 of my mates over the last 4 years

not sure why it is so hard to convince some people

moX

Heres my Helmet but i don't use it much. I think its hard to hear and it blocks my side view.
Photo10.jpg

Photo12.jpg
then your lid is crap.... (actually your face shield is crap.. Why on earth would you paint the stupid thing?)

a good helmet does not block peripheral vision for one.. Secondly I wear earplugs on the road.. You can not hear through your helmet?

These are arguments I have heard from "no helmet for me" guys and they are not valid complaints... sorry to burst your bubble but maybe you should wise up and not paint the "CLEAR" visor on the helmet you are "LOOKING" through....

I see Chris's helmet today from a low speed lowside and he would be in bad shape had he not had his lid on....

I have no sympathy for idiots that don't wear helmets and suffer horrible injuries because of it.

YOU make that choice every time you get on the bike. YOU choose to be irresponsible and do the WRONG thing.

Why *I* and other responsible riders have to pay for it, I have no idea.

For those of you that think riding with no helmet makes you look cool, it's quite the opposite. It makes you look like a giant idiot with no helmet on a motorcycle (for lack of a better way of putting it).

And really, you think you can hear or see better with no helmet? Really? The *ONLY* person you are convincing is yourself, the rest of us (those of us with a clue), know better.

Happy head injuries!  
thumb_down.gif

04' Busa
Went without a lid 4 times.

1.) Had to pick up my son unexpectedly. So I had him wear the lid.

2.) Went to a picnic 15 miles from home. It rained on the way back.
I never wanna feel that pain again.

3.) Took a girl for a ride. I insisted she wear my lid. I had glasses on. Took a bug to the eye.
I never wanna feel that pain again.

4.) I lied I don't wanna have a forth time.
Beacause I don't wanna feel the pain.

Ordered some Gaerne G-RS Boots today to compliment my leathers, gloves and what's that other thing.......O'yea "a helmet".

Chicks dig scars, but if you have brain damage, I don't think it will matter much.

'05 red/black Busa...no helmet law in IL...i wear mine probably about 75 % of the time (which is a lot more than i did before joining this board)...i know i should wear it all the time and will regret it when i go down without it on
I want to thank you for buying me a helmet!!! Safty first and buckle up! "CLICK IT or TICKET!"

Q: OK... so you can't see and you can't hear and you tire easily when wearing a helmet. Does that really cause Motorcyclists to have accidents?

A: Perhaps not. But ask anyone who's ridden for more than a year or two about his favorite "hornet flew inside his helmet" story. Those are always good for a laugh, especially when you are heading down a busy Interstate at 65 MPH! Helmets save lives my ass!

ask anyone who's ridden for more than a year or two about his favorite "hornet flew inside his helmet" story.   Those are always good for a laugh, especially when you are heading down a busy Interstate at 65 MPH!  Helmets save lives my ass!
laugh.gif
Funny you mention that ....that happened to me late last summer & I almost flattened a pine tree trying to get him out ....he tore my azz up !
guns.gif

Ohhh...and I wear a lid 90% of the time.
winkold.gif

But ask anyone who's ridden for more than a year or two about his favorite "hornet flew inside his helmet" story.   Those are always good for a laugh, especially when you are heading down a busy Interstate at 65 MPH!  Helmets save lives my ass!
yeah, i had a wasp fly in my helmet and sting me a couple times...you know what hurt a lot more than that?  the bird that i hit with the edge of my sunglasses and side of my head when i was cruising beside the MS River without a helmet on a couple years ago...i am very glad that i saw it in time to duck and only take a glancing blow...if it had hit me straight on in the face (which is where it was headed) i imagine i would have had a rough time not wrecking...it tore up the side of my head and nose with my glasses and made me try to see through watery eyes for a couple seconds...it wouldn't have been a big deal if i had taken the hit to the side of a helmet...just my  
2cents.gif

btw, helmets do save lives...i have been on-scene of several accidents that fellow riders wouldn't have survived if they hadn't had a helmet on...let me see you land on your head at about 50 mph like busadrive did and survive

don't forget, this isn't coming from a "helmet nazi"...i still don't wear one all the time but i am smart enough to see the truth...i have heard all the "reasons" people don't wear helmets and they are all a load of bull...if you don't want to wear a helmet, just take responsibility for yourself (insurance) and don't cry when things go wrong

IMG_1295__Large_.JPG

Bike,HAYABUSA. Helmet,ALLWAYS. I don't understand why anyone would even consider getting an any bike without one on. Even BMX dirt jumping I would wear my offroad helmet.

'08 'Busa here. Helmets laws here in New York--so I always wear it. I've ridden in some states without laws, and I still wear it. I guess I just love my face too much not to! Always wear a protective jacket--but not leather pants. Stupid me!

Back