V Max

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey gang, met an older guy on a V Max yesterday, he was saying how fast his bike was ... "it's a 1200 " he says... I didnt have my bike with me. He says what kinda bike you have? " A Suzuki " and my buddy with me, I say has a Yamaha ( an R1, but I didnt say it ) Maybe we'll see ya around sometime... we both smiled.
cool.gif

Anyone have a comparo? Gene? I know they are a hot rod sorta blvd bike that doesnt do the twisties well. Any other comments?

- Kent

Loved my 85(except for the shaft drive), was known as a powercruiser in the day(top horsepower bike in 1985)(145crank, 119rw supposedly). Tunnel Ram type VBoost system. Gas tank is located under the seat! There are some folks here that have more history(and knowledge) with the Max than I do.

More of a cruiser seating position, heavy as I recall, and aerodynamic as a barn door, engine has a unique sound. Fond memories
thumb_up.gif

Vmax500.jpg

They are very cool but are only mid to low 11 second bikes. I had a friend with one, I could dust him with my old CBR954RR, which was a slug compared to a busa.

They run virtually the same 1/4 times as a V-Rod. Again, VERY neat bikes, but hardly fast by todays standards.

with that said, cycle world did a revamp to an 80's vmax and let the guy use wheelie bars...piped and small mods the rider put down a high 9 second pass. bike was nearly stock with wheelie bars.

I had a 98 v-max that put down 130 hp to the road. It had a full exhaust system and other mods. It was fast for a cruiser. Crappy handling, crappy brakes. Sounded really great! Had a V8, v-twin, sport bike sound depending on rpm. It had a real mean idle. I dusted pretty much every cruiser I came across including a v-rod. I raced a busa as well. I got the jump on him up to about 30 miles per hour, but, he quickly caught up and then dusted me. We stopped and chated for awhile. The busa is better hands down in all aspects, except for that mean ass rumble of an idle!!!

1998_Yamaha_V_max.jpg

Wonder why Yami went with a shaft, dont most HP bikes go with a chain?

Wonder why Yami went with a shaft, dont most HP  bikes go with a chain?
Seemed to be a fad of the times. Remember the old V-65 Magna that was also shaft? It sort of started the power-cruiser craze that went on in the mid 80's. That's what's funny to me - Harley is all proud that their new V-Rod is almost as fast as a 1980's Yamaha.
laugh.gif

Oh and about the sound - I agree they were wicked-cool sounding. V-4 makes a sound all its own.

My Nephew bought a new one last fall. We got to ride together just once. He could not keep from telling me how fast his V-max was. I have not heard a single comment about how fast it is since we rode.

Nice looking, nice sounding, just does not have the power he thought it did before meeting the Busa.

A NEW V-max is to be released by Yamaha Next year I believe? Rumour says 200+ BHP!

Supposed to be for a sales battle with th B-KING?

Pete.

Most of it has been said in the above post. In it's day it was as bad as it got for power. Yes the Busa has it beat in all categories of speed........BUT.......if the guy has skills, he can certainly give you a run for your money. The bike is not something to just blow off lightly.

They can lay a big old patch just like the Busa can. Lots of low-end grunt in the V-Max. Old school technology, made up for by brute strength.

And yes the new V-Max is supposed to be a whole different beast of a machine. I REALLY love the V-4 engine. Got a Honda V-4 and I won't sell it til I find a cruiser I like better.

Had a '00 & really liked it. Improved the handling with progressive front springs, cartridge emulators, a good fork brace & steering dampner. Dropped the front 2" & the rear about 1 & 1/2.

1993 was the year for factory up grades, better forks & front brakes. Other than that they pretty much are the same now as the introductory year 1985 models. A few variations in wheel & exhaust colors.

As stated, its a barn door at speed but it gets there quickly. This is another bike that is not a good choice as a first bike, it can be a handfull for an experienced rider in certain situations.

IMHO one of the the biggest improvements that can be made to a Max is to have the wheels modded to accept radials. A 15" bias ply rock hard tire (factory installed) on the back of a bike that puts down 125-130hp is a bit unnerving.

Waiting for the new one to be released, if its close to the prototype I might be a player.

Ya Kent you kinda hit the nail on the head, a hot rod on two wheels, the beast just wont turn or stop but hey for a 600 lb cruiser they will get up and move, Dale Walker did a 10.62 run in 1985 on a stock V-Max at Fremont Raceway, check it out, click on the bottom vid.
http://www.holeshot.com/vmax/vmax_vids.html

Personally I didn't ride for about 20 years and in 99 a friend threw me the keys to his Max and told me to take a spin, now the last thing I had ridden was my 74 S3-400 Kawi triple so needless to say the V-Max put an ear to ear grin on my face when I opened the throttle, I was hooked, that is until Dec 06 when I purchased my Busa, the covers have not come off my V-Max's since, imagine that.

The V-Max with an exhaust other than stock can have the wickedest throaty rumble roar that you have ever heard come out of a motorcycle engine, it's like pure testosterone on steroids. Here's a couple sound clips, give a listen.
http://www.ufocycles.com/UFO_Vmax_exhaust.htm
http://www.ufocycles.com/UFO_V-gas.htm

A NEW V-max is to be released by Yamaha Next year I believe? Rumour says 200+ BHP!

Supposed to be for a sales battle with th B-KING?

Pete.
Most of the talk I heard from the vmax guys is that a good number are defecting to the Bee.. They felt a bit slighted by Yamaha about the Vmax (not a big market I guess and Yamaha did not put any resources into a new one)

Still a neat bike and the original "Big power" bike

I had a V-Max back in 88. It had a bunch of power and the V-Boost was neat when it kicked it. It's a straight line bike, can't corner very well relatively. Also felt big, when you sat in the saddle, your legs were spread apart like you were straddling a bull. It's a quick, straight run bike, but has it's limitations....

Back then, I was the only V-Max among a bunch of FZRs. Filled up gas, left the gas station looking at about a 2 mile straightaway. My friend comes up in his FZR1000 with pipes. Needless to say, everyone knew what was coming and we had an audience about 3/4 of a mile ahead.

I gunned the bike and got the jump on him. Tucked down WOT. I had him for maybe 1/4 mile but I heard and saw him coming up, but the 3/4 mile part, he was way ahead of me. I just didn't have the top speed or areos to compete.

Busa would not have any issues with the Max in any length of run. Interesting enough when looking for V-Max top speed, found this H.Org linky

This may sound like bs, but its not. I repeatedly raced an older v-max on my 04 gsxr 600. It was no contest at all. First gear seemed comparable, but it was terribly un-aerodynamic, and if you get over 100 mph, I just cant imagine they can keep up. The driver of the v-max was a friend of mine. He is about 45 years old, but likes to give it hell. The new ones are faster im sure, but compared to a busa, I highly doubt they can run with one. Even with some upgrades, I guarantee they weren't built for pure nasty speed like these busas.

Much like a Busa they're built for acceleration. Unlike a Busa they don't corner any better that an Honda VTX. They're still a neat bike and I wouldn't mind adding one to the stable.

beerchug.gif

Back