2009 Yamaha V-Max

It has 197 HP at the crank and weighs in a 700 pounds DRY !!!NO way will it out run a Busa or zx14 .. For that matter it will not out run a Liter bike either ...

Think about adding a 300 pound girl friend :rofl: to the back of your busa or zx14 and see what numbers you run in the 1/4 mile ...:laugh:

I can wait till one shows up at my track :rofl: I'm going to send him packing ....:beerchug:
A well ridden 600 will trailer that cast iron skillet :laugh:

Ok take 683 pounds and put a 180 pound rider on board = 863 pounds !!!!!!!!

That's great. . . Now take the busa and put a 240lb, or so, person on it. That seems to be pretty close to the average weight of a busa rider. Did you think the busa was going to ride itself? I'm not tryin to be "pro vmax" or anything. Just trying to have a little bit more of an open mind than everyone else. Which is faster? I don't know. Niether do you or anyone else on here. So, as I said before, we'll just have to wait and see.

It has 197 HP at the crank and weighs in a 700 pounds DRY !!!NO way will it out run a Busa or zx14 .. For that matter it will not out run a Liter bike either ...

Think about adding a 300 pound girl friend :rofl: to the back of your busa or zx14 and see what numbers you run in the 1/4 mile ...:laugh:

I can wait till one shows up at my track :rofl: I'm going to send him packing ....:beerchug:

Don't forget shaft drive robs power compared to a chain.
I will wait for a proper head to head comparo.
I am predicting, it will be quick, and easier to launch than the bus, but the bus will be quicker.

Back when the Original V-max came out there was a Cycle Magazine cover (still have it) with a Series of Dyno numbers on it showing the V-max towering over all the other bikes. It was supposed to make like 20+hp more than my old GS1150 and several of the other superbikes out at the time. But the Stock V-max was never a real threat to most of them on the strip unless Jay Gleason was riding it. I used to drag race my old 1150 and I never lost to a V-max.

Having owned a Max for a few years I had more than a casual interest in the new model & considered adding one to the stable.
What killed the purchase for me?

It weighs to much.
Its still a 5 speed gear box. (big downer)
I have concerns about the throttle by wire design with stepper motors.
Its still a shaft drive.
Its 20K + dealer prep & TT&L.

Dollar for dollar the Busa is still a cost effective bike. To make things equal, add 8K to the purchase price of a Busa for go fast mods & take off the mirrors because you will know that everything else will be behind you + you will not have to wait for mag test results to see whats fast. You will just smile & think "toast" when someone lines up with you.

This will be a nice comparison, regardless of which bike is the fastest or the quickest. Love my Busa, but if I were gonna have a mistress it would probably be the V-Max.

if thats the case the boss hoss motorcycle should be faster in the busa, I cant find the clip, but it has like 300 plus hp and couldnt beat the busa on the track

well lets see... if you are buying a bike based on magazine test rides? go get a scooter..

you can have 10 bikes of various makes, sizes and models... any one of them can win a drag race depending on the rider..

I just like the Busa... so I bought it...

10.13 is the best qtr mile run and that is with a 130lb. pro rider.

It was already tested by several mags, one of them ran it against a B-King. The King was quicker in the 1/4 mile....and the V-max put out alittle more power, about equal to a 2nd gen busa. Check Sportrider, Motor Cyclist, and Cycle World online and you'll find the test results :thumbsup:

I do recall reading an article a while back in which a magazine got some drag strip legend to ride the new Vmax, apparently he was a beast on the old one. Skinny, white guy with mad talent. He wrung the hell out of the bike and mustered low 10's after, many, many, many passes. I have no problem with this thing beating or attempting to beat the Hayabusa. Its not in the same class and is not made to do the Myriad of things the Busa can. For what that V4 cost, I got a great '08 Busa and an M109R with money left over for mods....literally

All the reviews I've read praise the Vmax's power but at the same time say that it doesn't hook up well.

That said I like the overall looks of the 09 Vmax and if it didn't cost so much I would love to have one. I'm sure it would be a blast to ride.

Dale Walker at HoleShot has been playing with this bike for a while. Might have to check out what he has come up with so far.

Just looked at Dales response. 178 on his dyno, stock bike. He ran 10.13 @138 for Cycle Worlds testing last year.

I LOVE .ORG you guys are my family lmao, i belong to an unrelated forum and there was a post about whats in your garage and a member posted that he has a 9sec 1/4 mile Vmax sooooo i called him on it and im waiting to hear just what he has??? from everything im reading he better have a LOT of work and a pro card if hes turning 9's, I love you guys this board covers all topics :cheerleader:

Just read my previous post on this topic, over a year ago. Since then, I've actually bought one of these (and a Gen 1 Max, too). Rode a BKing, before that.

Here's a pretty good video of some Max drag racing that took place last summer. All bikes with stock motors, and the usual bolt on goodies. Nope, I'm not there...but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back