V-Max engine output

badgerbusa

Registered
I read a Cycle World article on the 2009 V-Max. The dyno figures were 174 hp and 114 lb-ft. For a 1679 cc, clean sheet design, new Japanese V-4, is this impressive?? Given the engine specs, I would have expected more. Did Yamaha artificially limit the bike to avoid government pressure/scrutiny? From an engineering perspective, how efficient is this engine?
Yamaha stated that dynoing a bike this powerful was difficult because of the uncontrolled wheel spin that would occur. There are several bikes available that easily exceed the torque of the V-Max, and the ZX-14/Busa nearly match the V-Max on both measures. This claim sounds like hype to me.

Kinda makes you wonder if the original engine concept made more power and that they toned it down.

You can trade HP for brute torque (much better for a quick street machine anyway) I doubt if you compare the torque curves from the 3 machines that the Vmax is going to loose...

I have seen 100hp motors that made 3 times the torque of any other 100hp motor..

For nearly $18,000 it should have 200 hp, especially since it weighs nearly as much as a GOLDWING :laugh:

For nearly $18,000 it should have 200 hp, especially since it weighs nearly as much as a GOLDWING :laugh:
the article I saw said 210hp out of the 09, figured we gotta wait and see what it really is..

I am sure it was designed with the standard mods in mind(pipe,ecu),will probably have a hard time putting the power to the ground once its modded.Or... it will be the true monster it is intended to be.:bowdown:.We will find out next year when(if) the after market responds.:beerchug:

Growing up, Vmax's were good for one thing, rolling burnouts.

Only Major Problem I see, is you have to order one BEFORE they will make it. Just like the FJR in the early years. So, with the Toy Money getting smaller, I wonder just how many they will really build and hold on to for the US Market. Might me another Great Bike at the Wrong Time:(

I just wish them better luck with the new V-Max than Suzuki had with the B-King. :whistle:

Why what is so wrong with the B-King? Mine made 155 bhp and it is all stock, And i rode a new V-max at the STAR demo rides at Bikes,Blues and Bbq and the V-max can not even come close to handeling as well as a B-King, And the V-max did not feel any quicker at all than a B-King.:thumbsup:

Why what is so wrong with the B-King? Mine made 155 bhp and it is all stock, And i rode a new V-max at the STAR demo rides at Bikes,Blues and Bbq and the V-max can not even come close to handeling as well as a B-King, And the V-max did not feel any quicker at all than a B-King.:thumbsup:

I think by better luck he means longevity as they already quit making the
b-king after 1 year of production.

As far as what's wrong with the b-king, it's $2,500 more than a busa and the
tank is pretty...well...hideous.

Yeah the max is a lot more molla than that but it's a different bike. They don't
offer that motor in a sport chasis for $2500 less so it has a chance. The B-king
was doomed before the first one rolled of the assembly line.

I rode both at demos in daytona, the king is a nice machine but the max blew
me away. I can't see me ever buying a king but if I had the money...I'd have
a Vmax on order already.

Back