2009 Yamaha V-Max

badgerbusa

Registered
From what I have read, the 2009 V-Max is the fastest accelerating bike available. Is this claim true or marketing hype? When compared to the the 2008 Busa, the V-Max lacks any aerodynamics and is around 110 pounds heavier.

Not hype. It's the fastest 1/8 and 1/4 mile bike. The difference comes in the top speed. The V-max tops out at 130.

Not hype. It's the fastest 1/8 and 1/4 mile bike. The difference comes in the top speed. The V-max tops out at 130.

Um, no. The bike is limited to 137 mph, and if racked through the gears (as in a 1/4-mile run), 143 mph. And with regard to the fastest 1/4 mile...it will have to prove it.

Any actual times for a stock bike ??? links to articles ??? or have you just been hanging out on the V max boards :rofl:

Only thing that I found was a bunch of hype from back in MAY ???

I eager to see the test results on the bike I am big fan of the bike,, shame everyone was hitting the crack pipe when they decided on the sale price.. maybe the price will drop after they start selling them.

It has 197 HP at the crank and weighs in a 700 pounds DRY !!!NO way will it out run a Busa or zx14 .. For that matter it will not out run a Liter bike either ...

Think about adding a 300 pound girl friend :rofl: to the back of your busa or zx14 and see what numbers you run in the 1/4 mile ...:laugh:

I can wait till one shows up at my track :rofl: I'm going to send him packing ....:beerchug:

Last edited:
Launching the beast will be the big trick, drive shaft bikes don't launch well.

:whistle: memories .......

Um, no. The bike is limited to 137 mph, and if racked through the gears (as in a 1/4-mile run), 143 mph. And with regard to the fastest 1/4 mile...it will have to prove it.

Well excuse me for not giving perfectly acurate numbers. I was rounding. And you never know what it's going to be exactly anyway. Keep in mind actual, GPS top speed on a busa is MANY times around 170-175.

It has 197 HP at the crank and weighs in a 700 pounds DRY !!!NO way will it out run a Busa or zx14 .. For that matter it will not out run a Liter bike either ...

Think about adding a 300 pound girl friend :rofl: to the back of your busa or zx14 and see what numbers you run in the 1/4 mile ...:laugh:

I can wait till one shows up at my track :rofl: I'm going to send him packing ....:beerchug:

I don't know where you're getting your info from it's 683lb WET. Granted, that's still about 200lb heavier than the busas DRY weight, but as for right now no one knows what the gear ratio is, (or at least I haven't heard of anyone that does) There are a lot of variables. All I'm saying is they have a shot at it. Forgive me for thinking that MAYBE something out there could POSSIBLY outrun a busa in a 1/4 mile drag. The busa will still get it on the top end no doubt, so I don't know why everyone's jumpin all over me anyway. . . Truth be told no one really knows or will know till the first pull down the strip. Will the max win? Maybe. . Maybe not. We'll find out on that day.

I don't know where you're getting your info from it's 683lb WET. Granted, that's still about 200lb heavier than the busas DRY weight, but as for right now no one knows what the gear ratio is, (or at least I haven't heard of anyone that does) There are a lot of variables. All I'm saying is they have a shot at it. Forgive me for thinking that MAYBE something out there could POSSIBLY outrun a busa in a 1/4 mile drag. The busa will still get it on the top end no doubt, so I don't know why everyone's jumpin all over me anyway. . . Truth be told no one really knows or will know till the first pull down the strip. Will the max win? Maybe. . Maybe not. We'll find out on that day.

:popcorn: sounds like hype to me...till it makes some passes.

Supposedly it makes more torque than a Busa and the HP is about the same, but at about 150 pounds more than the Bus...you really think this 1800 cc pig is gonna beat a Busa in the 1/8 or 1/4. I don't really care who makes or what is the quickest bike at the drag strip.

Until the bike is out there and somebody does a shoot out...it's ALL hype and BS :banghead:

I really don't care who's faster on the strip either. My busa won't ever see a drag strip so it makes absolutely no difference to me at all.

The difference in wet weights is about 106 pounds. The V-Max's horsepower at the rear wheel, because of the relatively inefficient shaft final drive design, will probably be less than the Busa. The MCN article mentioned above states the engine's output at 166.8 lb/ft, instead of the 122 ft/lbs I had read earlier-that I find very hard to believe given the displacement. Regarding 1/4 mile racing, the V-Max wheel base is 66 inches, pretty long.

Ok take 683 pounds and put a 180 pound rider on board = 863 pounds !!!!!!!!

166 NM of torq + 122 foot pounds Thats good torq but thats taking at the crank ...

PS
This unit (German: Pferdestärke = horse strength) is no longer a statutory unit, but is still commonly used in Europe, South America and Japan, especially by the automotive and motorcycle industry. It was adopted throughout continental Europe with designations equivalent to the English "horsepower", but mathematically different from the British unit. It is defined by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB)[2] in Braunschweig as exactly:

1 PS = 75 kp·m/s = 0.73549875 kW = 0.9863201652997627 hp (SAE)

It's listed as 200 PS so in SAE numbers it would be less than 200 HP at the crank ...
Take off 17% drive loss = 166 hp at the the wheel ......( maybe )

gmmech07 wanna take a bet in the 1/4? You take the v-max I'll take the busa or zx 14...lol

Back