twotone's Colorado trip.

Looks like your having a great time.

If you get a chance take the Silverton train from Durango to Silverton, Beautifull ride, I think I may have told you but I proposed to Karen on that train.

Thats tomorrow! :beerchug::beerchug:

James did you crawl through the tunnels at Mesa Verde? I have been there several times...

Enjoy the trip....

I went were they allowed us to go, we had to self guide. All the park guided tours were sold out.

In 1977 I spent a summer in Grand Junction, I was 10 years old and it was one of the best summers of my childhood. Growing up in West Texas one can only imagine how cool million dollar highway, Grand Mesa and the rest of the Rockies was. Thanks for the pics.

The last two pics of my last post and these first couple are of test shafts. They would start digging to follow a quartz vein. The vein contained the silver, gold, copper, whatever they were looking for. When the vein ended, the quit digging and started over somewhere else. The last picture is what is left of the old mine owned boarding house. The mill ran 24/7 with 12 hour shifts. Men would sleep while others mined, then they would rotate, most shared rooms so there was always someone in the bed. A very hard life indeed. Oh, and the small wood structure with Eureka on it is what is left of the old water tower. The railroad used to run all the way to Animas Forks, but with WWII coming on and in full swing, the railway was pulled up and the steel was donated to the government for the war effort. You can still see the old railway ties, but this is one reason they do not still mine this area. New EPA laws and the cost of building a new railway make it cost prohibitive, but there is still 80 to 90% of the original ore still left in these mountains.

Colorado Jeep Tour 034.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 035.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 036.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 037.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 038.jpg

Last edited:
A few small mines. These are privately owned mining claims. You can buy one, and although the federal government owns most of this, the original mine claims are still held privately and can be sold.

Colorado Jeep Tour 040.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 044.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 046.jpg

The first picture is of a private cabin, the second pic is the same cabin, but taken from the road we were on. I had to zoom way in to get the first picture. This is one example of the mining claim. You can lease a claim from the US government for a few hundred dollars for 99 years. All you have to do is make a 250.00 improvement every year to keep the claim active. This is only accessible by snowmobile in the winter, and most of the winter the cabin is buried under 24ft of snow.

Colorado Jeep Tour 048.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 049.jpg

Here we are at Animas Forks. This was the largest mill ever built in the region. It was also the first to be built with structural steel. The first two pictures are of the mill foundation, the last picture is of the mine entrance. This mill was only productive for 8 years before being closed. The mill was so large and so expensive, it was dismantled and re-assembled in Eureka after the first mill burnt down.

Colorado Jeep Tour 050.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 051.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 052.jpg

Still in Animas Forks, this house was built in 1906. There is a newspaper framed in the back room that was taken from one of the walls. It is of the Denver Post and you can read it. Newspaper was used for insulation in these days. Also some other houses built in the area.

Colorado Jeep Tour 054.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 055.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 056.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 057.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 058.jpg

The only 2 story house in Animas Forks. Also, allegedly, the first bay window built in Colorado. This person must have had money compared to the rest of the town. The stair case was rickety, but functional. The last pics are of the view out of the bay window. The last pic may be hard to see, but there are 4x4 trails that go to Ouray and Lake City. I need to come back with a rented Jeep, I want to see more.

Colorado Jeep Tour 059.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 060.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 061.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 062.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 063.jpg

Last few pics of the mine tour. The suspended ore buckets you see travel miles up the mountain sides. There are 6 cable routes, and the miners used to ride these buckets, 2 men to a bucket. The first cable towers are wooden and still standing. I hope you can see them, they are miles away up the mountain. The story here is of 3 men that died on Christmas Eve one year. The mine operators lost count of how many men were coming down that night and shut down the cable system. 3 men were stuck aloft in the buckets all night and froze to death. Keep in mind, the men were wet all day in 60 degree mine shafts and had to be steamed out of the buckets when they got to the mill.

Colorado Jeep Tour 065.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 066.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 067.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 068.jpg

Last pics of the day. Eating lunch at Grumpys in Silverton, very good food and great staff. Although, not be confused with our Dave Grumpy (your food is better brother), but still good nonetheless. The last two pics are of downtown Durango, shopping. Train ride pics to come tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Colorado Jeep Tour 069.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 070.jpg

Man, James! How kind of you to share your vacation with everyone. Very cool pics and a heck of an oratory. Makes a person feel like they's right thar witcha! :thumbsup:

Great opportunity and wonderful priviledge! Continue to enjoy! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Thanks for the pics, those are simply amazing!

I know I have had some rough times in my life as everyone has, but I don't know any way someone could be depressed living in scenery like that.

I used to ride up to the Blue Ridge Parkway about an hour from where I live and just sit and look over the mountains. GREAT way to just take your mind off daily stuff.

Great shots James. What a great vacation to take the family on. Will you adopt me for next years vacation? Where we going next year, oh and Pepper says he wants to go too.:laugh:

Great Pics, Be a nice place to plan a bash gathering there one year...

If I ever lived anywhere besides Texas it would be Colorado. Bowhunted there for over 10 years and can't wait to get the adventures started back up. Lived in Durango when it used to be a one street town , way too big now.It's hard to beat them roads for riding ! Nice pics. :thumbsup:

Great shots James. What a great vacation to take the family on. Will you adopt me for next years vacation? Where we going next year, oh and Pepper says he wants to go too.:laugh:

don't forget your brother from another mother either :thumbsup: thanks for sharing!! :beerchug:

Back