twotone's Colorado trip.

Amazing stuff James! I am sure it was a great vacation. thanks for sharing the pics..:thumbsup:

Oops! you're still there! I lived in colorado for 9 years. Cost of living drove me back east. My brother is still living there. Great place to visit!

Last edited:
:thumbsup: i love that part of the world! ridden it many times. :poke: too bad you didn't bring the bike. looks like you have plenty to do besides ride. have fun, thanks for the pics.

Luci and I want to visit that part of the country. The roads around Durango and Silverton are supposed to be a biker's dream.

sweet pics, i could live on that porch in the house you are renting for most of the year! :laugh: i want to see that part of the country myself one of these days :beerchug:

Great trip! Great pics! Have they paved US550-Million dollar highway. Last time I was there a few years ago, it was in bad shape.

WOW! What an experience! Fantastic photos, my brother! That's what I call chillin' out. Expected heat indices close to 110 and humidity above 80% makes your location look like sub-zero. Great way to experience a family vacation! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

I lived in Denver in 1976 for about a year and love every minute of it. The roads Are a bikers dream ! Im in for Colorado next year !!

Thanks everyone, Steve, they have not repaved the million dollar highway, if fact, in many places, the white line on the shoulder is gone and it is straight down!

Great pics! Colorado is such a beautiful place. My brother was stationed in Colorado Springs many yrs ago and we would vacation up that way.

Some interesting places I went to there was Garden on the Gods, seven falls, cave of the winds and Cripple creek.

OH, and that cabin y'all are staying in ROCKS!!!

Have fun and we look forward to many more pictures!!!

Wow, that's a beautiful location and that house rocks dude.

Props for you taking the family and stuff to have time that and make memories also!!!

I have always wanted to visit Mesa Verde Nat Park.
:thumbsup:

Great Pics. I love the Durango Mountain Area.

I mainly am there in the winter...been there twice in the summer and once was on the bike.:thumbsup:

In the winter I loved the hot springs just north of town. Probably still a good treat in the evening in teh summer.

The train ride is great as well.

Great pics, James! Looks like y'all are having a good time! :thumbsup:

Ok, here we go, Jeep Tours of mining ghost towns. Just a few shots on the bus before heading up to Silverton.

Colorado Jeep Tour 001.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 002.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 003.jpg

And a few shots of a quick rest stop on the way up to Silverton, 1.5 hour ride on the bus. The scenery just amazes me and I cant seem to get enough of it.

Colorado Jeep Tour 004.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 005.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 006.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 007.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 008.jpg

I dont remember the name of this town, there were three we visited. This particular site happens to be the post office and the first Mill that built in this area. It was built of wood and on the flat prairie. They later learned to build the mills on the side of the hills and use gravity to their advantage. The last pics is of one such mill they built on the hill. Shows you what over 100 years of 300" snow fall will do to a structure.

Colorado Jeep Tour 018.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 019.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 020.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 023.jpg

Looks like your having a great time.

If you get a chance take the Silverton train from Durango to Silverton, Beautifull ride, I think I may have told you but I proposed to Karen on that train.

James did you crawl through the tunnels at Mesa Verde? I have been there several times...

Enjoy the trip....

This next town is called Eureka. The concrete structure you see is what remains of the mill that used to stand here. It had 100 stamps that weighed about 1000lbs each, steam operated that raised them and they dropped down smashing the ore that was dug out of the earth. The interested fact is they only produced about an ounce of silver per ton of rock that was processed. In the height of operation, they produced about 800 tons of ore per day. Men working in the mines were paid 3 dollars a day and worked 12 hour shifts. 1 dollar of wages went back to the mine company to pay for room and board. The average life span of mine workers was 35. This particular mine was closed after a lake caused a collapse of a mine shaft below it, draining the lake and flooding the mine. This happened on a Sunday and no one was injured. They built a memorial in Silverton for those that lived. Also, notice the small wood posts to the left, that was the original mill before it burnt down, the concrete one was built to replace it.

Colorado Jeep Tour 024.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 026.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 029.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 031.jpg

Colorado Jeep Tour 032.jpg

Back