turbo vs big bore

I've never understood the whole synthetic oil/coolant thing. Synthetic oils don't cool quicker, they deal with heat break down better.  But I digress.
Thermostats are their to MAINTAIN a certain temp. Not to ensure to vehicle to run hotter or cooler. It is there to help the temps hold a heat range. WHY? because that is the temp the fluids begin to flow best because in the case of oil, it thins as its heated. THAT is NOT the case with synthetics.

bandaids, fixes etc. Remember, these bikes roll out from Suzuki as 1299cc NON turbo charged machines making 150-160 hp. ONCE you start modding it you are bandaiding or fixing a problem.
Mod the air box and fix the a/f mixture
replace the exhaust and mod the emissions

Visous circle.

Thermostats are their to MAINTAIN a certain temp. Not to ensure to vehicle to run hotter or cooler. It is there to help the temps hold a heat range. WHY? because that is the temp the fluids begin to flow best because in the case of oil, it thins as its heated. THAT is NOT the case with synthetics.
eh....I think you need to study coolant system theory. The tstat does regulate the temp of the system, but there is more involved than that. It also regulates PRESSURE which is just as important as temp.

The real job of the tstat is 1) to allow the engine to reach operating temp quickly and 2) maintain operating temp.

Operating temp varies depending on the maximum pressure the system was designed for. This might be surprising to some, but thats the MAIN factor for it. The reason being, the higher the coolant temp, the more pressure the system must build to prevent it from boiling. The advantage to higher coolant temp is, the higher the temp differential between ambiant air outside, and the coolant, the better the heat transfer over the radiator.

Hence, a simple way to increase cooling capacity is to RAISE the tstat temp, and put a higher pressure radiator cap on the vehicle....and raise the fan switch temp. Assuming the cooling system can handle the added pressure, this will increase cooling capacity.

Pressures are results of temps. as fluid boils it turns to gas, gas filled voids and slowly creates pressure. IF you remove the stat you allow the pump to circulate the the fluid faster and unrestricted thus creating lower temps thus making less pressure. Pressure is a by product.

Your stat if working properly will open and close constantly. it does this because it is a spring which reacts to (yes class once again) TEMPERATURE! Temperature/ heat causes the spring to expand or contract which in turn causes the stat to open or close.

as for coolant theory. You need a fan switch which activates at a lower temp to lower the temp of the system via fan.

If you raise the "stat" temperature. It doesn't open till a higher temp is reached thus causing the system to run HOTTER.

this is NOT freon, adding pressure to water will only cause more heat to distribute faster. Presurizing water does not make it cool, it makes it hotter (ie: pressure cooker). heavier caps are added because if the system vents all of its fluid due to extreme pressures normally caused by insuffienct radiators or over effienct pumps the system is dead. There is good reason your coolant sytem can and will vent.

well I give up. There's a couple things you say that are true, most of it isn't. But I'm not going to convince you of this, obviously.

Have fun with your (or others) overheating problems!
smile.gif

fella's i have to say thxs for all the great replies. i never thought it would get this good. i am sure i will go turbo, probably velocity, not sure. but i am happy to learn all i can before i spend the loot. am not big on going to the track basically i just want something that stands out and has all the HP i want. i play with a lot of very, very strong cars here and that's where i'll make my biggest paydayz. i just want reliability, it seems the power is there either way. but i pick boost

Back