Turbo touring

plumbusa

Registered
Some of you may recall my story about the botched turbo install that killed my motor.Well after talking with the installer and making arrangements to get my bike to him it's done.Barry at velocity not only rebuilt my engine ,he also went further and added a spacer and adjusted the cams and a few other thing that I can't comprehend.I got a ride up to his shop friday and picked it up.The only thing I had to work out was how to get it home more than 900 miles away.So I rode it.6:00 am saturday I pulled out and began the journey.I was at a friends in knoxville so I took I40 through the moutains.Nice view as the sun begins to peek over them.Continued the ride to I26 still more great scenery.Once I got on I95 thinge flattened a bit and the speed picked up accordingly.Stopping for fuel every two hours provided time to stretch and check over the bike.I'm happy to say the new motor worked very well.After crossing into florida a couple sport bikes came up on me.Looked like a honda and gsxr 1000.Seemed like they wanted to play a little as they passed me then fell back and made another run on me.I was traveling about 85 mph when they started coming back up behind me so I dropped into 3rd and let it rip.Never pulled away from anyone so fast in my life.By the time I hit 5th gear they were gone from my sight and I was on empty so I got fuel.Never saw them again.This turbo motor seems head and shoulders stronger than the last.The only problem it has is a slight flat spot 3500-4000 rpm.Other than that it runs very well.I have to give barry and velocity racing credit for the way they took care of the problems associated with the first install.If any one is considering a turbo and are in the nicholasvills Ky.area they cant go wrong with velocity.The busa is also a great sport tourer.The ride home was a blast.Bought it to ride it.

over 900 miles.... how many hours....
rock.gif

900 miles in 13 hours? It does sound like fun!

Excellent news and big ups to Velocity for handling their business. Glad you got everything worked out!!

Ups to Barry for manning up...Glad that you apparently didn't have any problems on the return ride...

congrats on getting everything worked out...and nice ride report on the turbo. Post up some pics if ya get a chance.

I'm sure Berry took this one to an actual dyno for PR reasons, but it wouldn't hurt to go get it checked on boost to be safe. They could probably get ride of the flat spot to. Congrats on actualy getting her back!!
smile.gif

Yes big thumbs up to barry and the crew at velocity.I'm going to talk to barry next week and discuss the flat spot problem.other than that it ran real well.I was a little concerned leaving saturday a.m. but after a few tanks of gas my fears went unanswered and it rocked.

BUT, until you get it checked out, you might be on the edge. And all it takes is one batch of bad gas from some gas station and a little boost, and the fun would be over again. Checking it out is just protecting your investment IMO. Just a little advice so you don't have to be down again.

-
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|TurboProstreet
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150640560 -->

10-4 on that.Definitely don't want to go through that again.I'll wait to see what barry thinks and then look for a shop that can dyno tune with turbo's.Any one know of one in south fl.

flat spot at 3500 to 4000 RPM won't hurt anything, it's not on boost at that point. The only kit out there that is on boost that early is mcxpress.

Owning a turbo you have to take on a bit of tuning chores yourself. Barry gave you a tune on boost at high load, but some of the low speed stuff will have to be worked out by you. Have you considered a data logger? Sounds like a bit of an undertaking but for very little cash you can get set up with a LM1 and RPM converter so you can log RPM, throttle position, and A/F ratio. Plot them out on a graph or better yet a spreadsheet and it will take all the guess work out of tuning and save a huge amount of time by not doing it by trial and error. Trust me I've been down the trial and error road with a Hahn kit and it is a pain in the ass.

Nice to hear a good experience out of Barry's shop. Seems like you hear a lot more negetive than positive experiences from Velocity owners but I'm sure a lot of that is due to the squeeky wheel theory.

Back