Turbo?

Been doin homework, been askin questions and gettin answers. I wish i could get consistant answers, everybody says somthing different. All make sense and have great reasoning for what they say but no consistancy. So if you had 5k to get your turbo(goin RCC) and Tune and RCC shop in Canada would you with 16k miles???
Most definately...16k is nothing. The bike will be fine :thumbsup: And 6 lbs is a good amount of boost to run....big enough to give plenty of power, but low enough to let the engine last a long, long, time with a little common sense and a good install. If you start upping the boost tho because you've heard you can, and want to fiddle......you're opening a can of expensive worms. Leave it alone and just enjoy it for what it is (all 240hp of it :laugh: ) and you'll be set :beerchug:

I would reiterate my suggestion on valve springs and the leakdown test when you do the install. Richard is good people and can help you with this.

While 16k miles may not seem like a lot, future reliability will have a lot to do with how you have maintained it and ridden it up to now. (I assume well and hard respectively:laugh:)

If it were an install I was doing I would even check a couple of the rod bearing while I had the pan off since this is a weak point at higher power levels. It's not a lot of cost for the piece of mind. Better safe then sorry.

Just my .02 cents.

Gil

A leakdown test is the process of injecting a constant supply of air into the cylinder via the spark plug hole and measuring the amount of air that "leaks" past the valves and rings (it will also show leakage in the event of head gasket failure or other structural failures, but these are less prevelent occurances). The pressure differential between what is supplied and what is maintained in the cylinder is than converted into a precentage.

If the precentage is to high or there is significant variance between cylinders, it can indicate significant wear or damage.

While, as a number of board members have indicated, 16k miles on a NA (Naturally Aspirated) hayabusa engine is not excessive, the internal stress created by boost can quickly turn a mild weakness into major engine failure.

I intentually excluded specific test parameters simple bacause the process and precentages vary amoung engine builders.

Hope this helps.

Gil

I just put a turbo on a motor with 120,000 miles on it.... running 8 pounds of boost... but then again it was my diesel truck... so never mind LOL

You will be fine with the miles on the Busa. Make sure you get a good tune no matter what you do. Also read everything you can from all of those who have went turbo.

Frog, of the 3 kits you mentioned I would go with RCC, Hahn and Velocity are OK but Hahns tech help could be better and I had a bad deal with Velocity, do in part to the map they sent with kit it was NOT EVEN CLOSE, and my motor cooked itself in a couple of weeks, anyways if not RCC then Hahn, if you do your own install great, but by all means get the bike dyno mapped before getting into any serious boost

:popcorn:

I suppose then it comes down to a matter of choice. One guys kit, or the other guys kit?
Or, just build your own kit...maybe?

I took the advice that I heard so many times on all the forums I have read for the last few years, I chose RCC and I am very happy I did!

Good luck with your purchase

Oh and my bike had 14k on it when I did the turbo set at 7lbs stock compression and it made 250rwhp, for about 10 miles. It lifted the head and blew the head gasket. Put APE head bolts, cometic head gasket and spacer plate, RC injectors and a 8.7 lb spring and made 295rwhp for the last 1,000 miles. Would be more but it has been so cold. So far it is running very well and I'm glad I went with the lowered compression. I wanted to keep it stock so I wouldn't lose any bottom end, but really its not bad. It runs like a screamin demon now! lol

Want to turbo my 06 Busa 16k miles. Thinkin Velocity racing or Hahn with 6lbs of boost. Ride alot and dont want to shorten the life of or blow up my motor. Bolt on at home and enjoy? The systems come with base maps, are they okay to run with or do i need dyno tuning? All info is much appreciated.

Think again.......RCC, Richard is the Man!:beerchug:

Its tial, i think its the blue spring? As far as the #'s go it was done at stedmans and thats what he told me, I have the dyno sheets, He said the 295hp run was when it had cooled down and when it was up to operating temp. it was more like 280-285. :dunno:

Its tial, i think its the blue spring? As far as the #'s go it was done at stedmans and thats what he told me, I have the dyno sheets, He said the 295hp run was when it had cooled down and when it was up to operating temp. it was more like 280-285. :dunno:

if Denny did it....I wouldn't believe the numbers. I had bikes tuned by him and NEVER got the same numbers again on any other dyno. However they did seem to live. His installs definitely earned their "ghetto" name.

Jay did the initial install and tune, it blew up and I took it back down there. Dennis did the spacer plate install and everything else including the tune. I really don't know much about turbos. I'm not just trying to spit #'s out to look cool by no means, just repeating what has been told to me. But I think Jay is a good guy. I have the dyno sheets if you would like to see them. I think the final #'s were an honest 283 with my set up, so he said.

do you have a boost gauge?

easy way to see max pressure is to put a one way check valve in line to the gauge...it will hold the highest boost level shown by the gauge.

Back