Turbo help

spanky31680

Registered
I just installed a velocity racing turbo on my 08 hayabusa, after getting it tuned, im blowing antifreeze out of my resivor, the kit is a stage 1 with 6 psi, i called velocity and they said i may have lifted the head, my question is while im there i want to put a .080 spacer, turbo pistons, gaskets, springs and acj. Cam sprockets is there 1 place i can go to get everything that i need to do the job?

compression ratio is pretty high on the 08 for a turbo.. Not sure about the pistons you are installing but seems sort of strange to put in the spacer AND turbo pistons.. seems one or the other (could be wrong, I do not have specs on the pistons in front of me)

Check with the board sponsors.. there are 3 or 4 that do a good bit of turbo work..

turbo pistons require a spacer

.PM boostbysmith he'll get everything you need. Greg is a great guy to deal with

yeah either lifted the head or blew the head gasket.
richard at rccturbos.com can also set you up with anything you need as well as greg can too.

yep turbo pistons (for the busa) requires a spacer due to the pin to crown height is different (taller)

greg (smithabusa) can get everything for a great price

is it blowing throw the bottom of the resivor b/c the same thing happend to me but turned out i didnt bleed the system enough and i had to much anifreeze in there so the extra stuff was just blowing out the bottom hose after it blead itself it was all good?

Why not just leave stock pistons and add a spacer. Get rid off the TI valves and you should be good for 9 lbs of boost[ 280 hp]thats what mine makes on 9 lbs...also I'd put in some head studs.

If you use JEs (pistons) then yes you also will need the .080 spacer, however CP makes a turbo piston, and there may be others, that do not requier a spacer, if you did not damage your pistons you may just want to install the spacer, have the head and block checked for flatness and go back with it, I do have a couple of questions, did Velocity sell you this kit new? and did they know it was for a 08? and did they know it had 6lbs of boost when it left, because trying 6lbs on a 08 that has 12.5 comprestion already is not a good idea, you may have gotten away with it if your running water inj, or race gas, but with 6lbs and pump gas your lucky thats all it did was pop the head gasket

Last edited:
hey spanky whats up. congrats on turbo. i was interested in same turbo setup.does air filter stick out from fairing on your 08 or does the fairing need to be cut. is the header a new design from the 07s down. i heard the tubo sits more to the right side of bike is that true. answers well appreciated t.y.

the turbo was set at 10psi unintensionally from velocity, by the time i figured it out it was too late. yes, the air filter sticks out of the left side of the bike and you have to cut a hole in it along with clearence of the pipe to the air box. the exhaust pipe points out of the right side of the bike and you dont have to cut the plastic.

gee that was nice of them :moon: woops

the turbo was set at 10psi unintensionally from velocity, by the time i figured it out it was too late. yes, the air filter sticks out of the left side of the bike and you have to cut a hole in it along with clearence of the pipe to the air box. the exhaust pipe points out of the right side of the bike and you dont have to cut the plastic.

10psi? ouch... bet she hauled the mail though :)

I am curious why they built a turbo piston that also requires the deck height changed as well... why would they not build the piston to just work on a stock deck height?

10psi? ouch... bet she hauled the mail though :)

I am curious why they built a turbo piston that also requires the deck height changed as well... why would they not build the piston to just work on a stock deck height?

turbo pistons have always required a spacer on the busa.

if you haven't melted a piston, add a spacer and a new head gasket and go...

odds are you blew a head gasket or melted a piston. I have never seen a head lift on a busa.

turbo pistons have always required a spacer on the busa.

if you haven't melted a piston, add a spacer and a new head gasket and go...

odds are you blew a head gasket or melted a piston. I have never seen a head lift on a busa.
does not answer the question... WHY would you not manufacture a piston that does not require a spacer on a busa motor... why require a deck height change..

This is not how it is done on any other type of motor we have turbo'ed.. The primary difference in a stock piston and a turbo piston is typically compression ratio and in some instances heavier ring lands.. (we always run total seal, zgaps or dykes rings) adding additional pieces to the cylinder assy simply adds more chances for leaks, movement or failure.. The spacer is only going to further lower the compression ratio on the motor, why was this not done during machining of the piston slugs?

does not answer the question... WHY would you not manufacture a piston that does not require a spacer on a busa motor... why require a deck height change..

This is not how it is done on any other type of motor we have turbo'ed.. The primary difference in a stock piston and a turbo piston is typically compression ratio and in some instances heavier ring lands.. (we always run total seal, zgaps or dykes rings) adding additional pieces to the cylinder assy simply adds more chances for leaks, movement or failure.. The spacer is only going to further lower the compression ratio on the motor, why was this not done during machining of the piston slugs?

ummm....maybe not enough material to allow the rod to be moved any further north? Dunno, never ran specs of an OEM piston versus a turbo one to see differences. My guess would be that they know what theyu are doing.

To get the piston shape with good quench and low comp ,there is not enough room between the pin and head without the spacer (in JE's eyes anyway)
Haven't seen CP or others that don't need the spacer

ummm....maybe not enough material to allow the rod to be moved any further north? Dunno, never ran specs of an OEM piston versus a turbo one to see differences. My guess would be that they know what theyu are doing.

To get the piston shape with good quench and low comp ,there is not enough room between the pin and head without the spacer (in JE's eyes anyway)
Haven't seen CP or others that don't need the spacer
so we got a thin piston to start with... gotta love it.. now has anyone played with ceramic coatings on the head of the piston? we have done this on apps where boost pressures may exceed 50 psi with good success (well at least to keep pistons from turning to vapor) pistons with enough material became to heavy for good balance without killing the skirts off..

might not be thin now....maybe they don't want them to become thin...

not willing to trade off perhaps?
certainly not... the pistons we had made always had a thicker crown than the stockers.. all we had to do was move the wrist pin up on a blank and machine the dish in the piston (they typically looked like flat tops but with the wrist pin moved, the CR was down about 2 points....

guessing that weight is at such a premium on bikes, I suppose it makes sense to keep every gram off the motor possible.. Guess a guy needs to cross section a slug to see just how much is there.. thanks for the info :)

Last edited:
someone has cross sections a stock vs je

pics below
je on lhs
Piston2Thin_DSC0744.jpg

je on rhs
Piston2Thick_DSC0744.jpg

see the bottom ring landing in bottom picture is very near the wrist pin hole

Back