turbo questions:size and application

LeDauz

Registered
ok was checking out RCC Turbo online and they have a kit that runs a Garret GT40 and another that runs a Garret GT 35.

So naturally I got woundering so I went and checked out TurbobyGarret online to see what kind of turbo's they got, then came the question:

1. How do I know if the turbo will fit on a busa?
2. What kind of modifications might have been done to a busa to fit larger turbos if any?
3. Whats the biggest turbo put on a busa to date? And was it for show or did it get put to work?

Any info will nice. Also if it has anything to do with a busa that has never been over 100mph or less than 100miles on it, it doesn't make much of a different what they had on it because it just extra junk(ei no show bikes unless they have been put to test).

Well any kit you buy from RCC will be made for the bike you bought it for so there wont be any fitment issues. You might have to cut some plastic on the Ultra kits but I'm not sure about that.

Dude thats ridiculous. The GT40 thats on that super ultra kit that RCC sells is good for over 600hp. Dyno queens don't even shoot for much more than that. Why don't you call Richard and ask him.

Have you ever been on a turbo bike. Looking at your sig I would say stick with a stage I kit. Of course thats up to you.

Theoretically you could put a GT 35 on a lawnmower. The busa doesn't have a limit per say. I'll just leave you with this. Look at RCC's site. If it were at all practical in any way to put a bigger turbo on a Busa than what Richard has listed, don't you think he'd be doing that. Good luck!

You have to look at all the variables when choosing a turbo. The spool time would be horrible if you go any bigger and then you would struggle to put the power to the ground. Hell, not many can even get the 600hp to stick and end up dialing that back...

I have a GT40R on my busa and street ride. Its the GT4094 and larger than the normal GT4088 that comes on the Super Ultra kit. YOU DON"T WANT A BIGGER TURBO NOR CAN THE SIZE OF THE ENGINE PUSH IT. Plenty of people are going to talk a bunch of crap about it being to big for the street but it just depends on what you like. If doing alot of hwy and interstate pulls then this SOB can't be touched....stop light to stop light go with a smaller turbo. The 40R fits me because it gives an unbelievable upper RPM pull that goes longer than you can hold it WOT, makes more boost per lb than smaller turbos and doesn't see boost till 7K therefore driving like normal biek. With stock cams I ran 40lb and made 616HP in hot ass Alabama humidity and heat and pulling a huge RC Component 240 rear tire. My power comes on at 7500 RPM gauge indicated "in reality thats 7000RPM since the busa tach is 500RPM off" It runs like a normal street bike out of boost and then runs like a raped ape if I want it to in the upper RPMS. At 14lb and 349HP it will lite the tire up at 120mph in 3rd and 150mph in 4th out on the street. That a 240 tire we are talking about spinning and I weigh 270 suited and thats 6 inches stretched slammed with an ELKA drag shock. Don't go any larger on the turbo....if $$ doesn't matter then i would just increase the bore to 1363 and have Carpenter do headwork or Cooper Performance or whoever you choose. I've made the big dyno HP and never care to do it again. I would rather 08 crank, 1363 bore and do some badd azz headwork and run E-85 and make some ridiculous street HP....450HP could be achieved I believe. If you just don't give a **** and want to shoot for the moon then have richard slap a 42R on it....10MM crank, do the head, run it on alchy and clear out the dyno room and get a pass or 2 out of it

Last edited:
Ace is correct in what he says above, but I prefer a smaller turbo for the street. If I'm running 60mph in 6th gear when I roll into my gt2871R I'm boosting by 3500rpms and at full boost by 5000rpms. No need to downshift here...lol. Also I can shortshift{8000rpms} going through the gears and rip anyones head off with a normal bike. My wife has a z1000 kawasaki and I used to do roll ons with her with my old 01 stage 3 Velocity bike from 60mph in 6th gear and she would jump me 20 bike lengths before the big 35r would finally spool up. Now she jumps me 3 feet and then it's over. Think about what you really want to do with your set up.

Ace is correct in what he says above, but I prefer a smaller turbo for the street. If I'm running 60mph in 6th gear when I roll into my gt2871R I'm boosting by 3500rpms and at full boost by 5000rpms. No need to downshift here...lol. Also I can shortshift{8000rpms} going through the gears and rip anyones head off with a normal bike. My wife has a z1000 kawasaki and I used to do roll ons with her with my old 01 stage 3 Velocity bike from 60mph in 6th gear and she would jump me 20 bike lengths before the big 35r would finally spool up. Now she jumps me 3 feet and then it's over. Think about what you really want to do with your set up.

Good info here also from a smaller turbo perspective.... Hard to beat them
on the rollon unless you really know your bike and how to apply the power from a big turbo

kinda a dumb question to add but will a larger turbo need a larger bore to be used?

would a stock(1299cc) have the same rpm to start building boost as a 1397cc or 1441cc?

also boost at 7k rpm doesnt sound to bad but 5k or 6k rpm wouldnt be bad either as far as light to light... thats for little bikes top speed is busa turf

I have found all this information very helpfull!!

I just couldnt imagen a hayabusa with out 350bhp on the road...

Would be mentaly pointless, id say anything up to 220bhp and even thats probs to fast, unless like you say you want to roll on, but doesn't a turbo shorten the life of the engine as its working harder being pushed more just to get more bhp, that wasn't suppost to be done in the 1st place.

I dont know much about turbos but all i know it, on youtube, thats abit to quick for me!
i didnt think it would make much of a difference but i was very vey very wrong!

if you want it to spool fast and build the mitusbishi turbos are great i have a hahn kit and its unbelievable after 4500 rpm pulls like a freight train havent tried the other turbos just know what my bike does

I have a question, do turbo's make the top speed higher?, just by adding 1 and removing the limiter??
Or would you have to change the sprockets and also the chain maybe links taken out or a longer 1...

I have a question, do turbo's make the top speed higher?, just by adding 1 and removing the limiter??
Or would you have to change the sprockets and also the chain maybe links taken out or a longer 1...
LOL...more power always makes the top speed higher.

You have to look at all the variables when choosing a turbo. The spool time would be horrible if you go any bigger and then you would struggle to put the power to the ground. Hell, not many can even get the 600hp to stick and end up dialing that back...
460 HP all day and a multi-stage boost controller will do the job. Having had a 445HP bike break traction all 15 passes at Texas in every gear 1-2-3-4-5-6, I can tell you 460 should get the job done, traction corrected.

I had the pleasure of putting 550 RWP to the ground in the street on a busa that was stretched 6" . . . it had a Metzler Dragtec with 20 lbs of air in it at the time and that baby hooked fine on white concrete. I had a very hard time keeping it on the ground, made several passes at that level, and can tell you it made me think of being on a rocket sled. Holy crap! To say that my eyes were pushed back into my head was an understatement. Definately the wildest ride I ever had on a street turbo - and I've been riding turbos since 1978.

Putting that kind of power to the ground involves boost control, chassis and suspension. Generally speaking, the smaller turbos - like the 16Gs on the Hahn kits - spool quick, and are a lot of fun. Thats why there are a lot of Stage One bikes out there . . . but trying to build a 800 HP busa really serves no purpose - what are you going to do with it? Not much - its like Ron Jeremy with ED:laugh:

yeah i agree with you powerhouse...
I can understand theres a limit on what you can put down on the road due to tires... and then you put wider tires on and theres another limit, but then then your at the limit, its unuseable at full throttle... seems pointless,
hayabusa - small turbo = speed, good mpg, reliable, useable, cheep "ish"
Hayabusa - big turbo = expencive, unreliable, needs replacing after less miles, very bad mpg, can't use full throttle on roads

Seems to me the small turbo works just amazing enough to satisfy my speed needs :)

or a happy medium, i found i prefer a bigger gt30 turbo for the street over the gt28r i started with, slower spool time gets more power down without wheelies , small turbo makes for a pogostick

hha well i never thought of it like that but i suppose thats correct, how much would a midi turbo cost, to buy and gess the fitting charge? im from the uk but will convert the dollers... thanks

Back