Gen 1 Turbo Questions

lrhaug

Registered
Hello All,

I have a 99 with a MC-Xpress intercooled turbo kit that i recently melted a piston in due to a lack of tuning and will be rebuilding it this winter. I naturally have many questions, but the first, and most important at the moment before I go ordering parts is about fuel. Are any of you guys running E-85 and if so who did all your tuning. I've been told Smithers Customs does not like to use E-85 and they are the closest shop to me since I am in Omaha, NE. Any help, advice, or opinion is appreciated

One question you might want to ask the real people who know...ask about the fuel pump. We have a bunch of Cannondale ATVs, and played with E-85 on the dyno and made more power. The problem that would arise after a while would be that the fuel pump would take a crap. Similar to alcohol, it is not frendly with all fuel components, such as o-rings and certain fuel line. I believe they make aftermarket car fuel pumps and selenoids for N2O you can get out of Summit Racing that are specified as ment for use with alcohol.
That would be my concern before setting up for E-85 or alcohol. It does make a little more power, but could cause some concerns to be delt with to be more trouble free. We have a gas station about 2hrs away from us that carries E-85 near where we ride ATVs, so once in a while we play w/it for some drag races. It costs a little cheaper than the reg unleaded, but you use more. Good luck and I hope your projects go well. Marc M.

Back