turbo questions:size and application

If you are looking for a good turbo this what you can do with a NLR turbo kit.

- fields performance 7. sec turbo busa sac t@t 11-14-09[/url]

And i'm 273 lb suited.

Last edited by a moderator:
put lights on it,tune it for 92 octane and change the back tire

and we'll have a nice daily driver in some circles

PB240040.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

Last edited:
haha lmao! thats blood* MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahahaha omg...
how much bhp that putting out???
yeah im goiin to get a small turbo but not yet, just looking around, and looking at prices "of course" im not made of money, and only 16 years old... so i'll have fun with the hayabusa at 17 1st then might put sumin on init in a couple of weeks :)

I had the pleasure of putting 550 RWP to the ground in the street on a busa that was stretched 6" . . . it had a Metzler Dragtec with 20 lbs of air in it at the time and that baby hooked fine on white concrete. I had a very hard time keeping it on the ground, made several passes at that level, and can tell you it made me think of being on a rocket sled. Holy crap! To say that my eyes were pushed back into my head was an understatement. Definately the wildest ride I ever had on a street turbo - and I've been riding turbos since 1978.

Putting that kind of power to the ground involves boost control, chassis and suspension. Generally speaking, the smaller turbos - like the 16Gs on the Hahn kits - spool quick, and are a lot of fun. Thats why there are a lot of Stage One bikes out there . . . but trying to build a 800 HP busa really serves no purpose - what are you going to do with it? Not much - its like Ron Jeremy with ED:laugh:

I can't even image riding a bike that pulls in 6th gear faster than most bikes pull in 1st.... :rofl: ...I'm willing to learn though.... :laugh:

I really don't want the maintenance required with a TURBO but the more I think about it, that seems to be the only way to go... :drool:

haha lmao! thats blood* MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahahaha omg...
how much bhp that putting out???
yeah im goiin to get a small turbo but not yet, just looking around, and looking at prices "of course" im not made of money, and only 16 years old... so i'll have fun with the hayabusa at 17 1st then might put sumin on init in a couple of weeks :)

Not to get sidetracked in this thread but how are you riding a BUSA at age 17 in the UK. The graduated license system limits you from riding a BUSA until age 21 or has that recently changed...?

turbo questions:size and application

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by sportbikeryder; 11-29-2009 at 08:52 AM.
whats the size on that thing?

Last edited:
The idea that turbo bikes require added maintenance is a gross misconception. Other than changing the oil a little more frequently because I am anal about my bike, the is no additional maintenance required . . .:poke:

that is hank booths old motor
now in christer's(nlr-sweden) possession
that is the infamous 701 hp motor
size of turbo i dont remember
and hp currently i dont remember either but christer originally built it and has rebuilt it
my favorite part about this motor that not alot realize is the fact that the cases were hard anodized

yeah i agree with you powerhouse...
I can understand theres a limit on what you can put down on the road due to tires... and then you put wider tires on and theres another limit, but then then your at the limit, its unuseable at full throttle... seems pointless,
hayabusa - small turbo = speed, good mpg, reliable, useable, cheep "ish"
Hayabusa - big turbo = expencive, unreliable, needs replacing after less miles, very bad mpg, can't use full throttle on roads

Seems to me the small turbo works just amazing enough to satisfy my speed needs :)

There is nothing accurate in your comparion on big vs small turbos. They both are fast, they both are expensive, setup correctly they both are reliable, the size of a turbo doesn't mean it will need replacing any sooner, a larger turbo does not mean bad gas MPG...more Hp does ect......It would be more accurate to size is the biggest difference, price in actual turbo and spool time

I can't even image riding a bike that pulls in 6th gear faster than most bikes pull in 1st.... :rofl: ...I'm willing to learn though.... :laugh:

I really don't want the maintenance required with a TURBO but the more I think about it, that seems to be the only way to go... :drool:

Not to get sidetracked in this thread but how are you riding a BUSA at age 17 in the UK. The graduated license system limits you from riding a BUSA until age 21 or has that recently changed...?

I know alot say turbos are maintenance free but I don't think thats the case. Believe me my kit his high $$, my tune is good, my parts are good, my builder is great. Stuff still happens...header bolts, chain stretches, electronics, voltage ect.....They can be great street bikes but be prepared to do a little wrenching. For example my bike was fine last time I put it up...not it has oil under it from the sender mounted in the oil pan leaking....nothing major just little pesky crap like that. The turbos are reliable as daily drives but make me god awful nervous...its just so much stuff to go wrong. I would much prefer a GEN 2 all motor to go mess around in the curves on or ride around town and then a turbo bike to pull out when I wanted to go serious riding. In 1000 miles, i've had do work on the chain, change the oil, filter, busted out 2 tail lights, replaced fuses, cracked the tail section, fixed oil leak from the sender, insulated and worked on fuel pump issue, dealt with vapor locking and I've probably had it easy. I still need to get my AMS on manifold pressure and drop in a smaller wastegate spring so I can actually use below 4th gear. They sure are fun though. I just promise you will wish you had a piped everday busa to throw your leg over when you just wanna get on the bike and go for a short cruise or bike night, road trip ect...

Last edited:
In 1000 miles, i've had do work on the chain, change the oil, filter, busted out 2 tail lights, replaced fuses, cracked the tail section
and how exactly did a turbo hurt your tail lights and tail section?

and how exactly did a turbo hurt your tail lights and tail section?

If you ever build a bike that makes alot of power you will know. Lots of power and traction resulting in a tail light making contact and busting out and the tire kicking it up and splintering the fiberglass in the tail section....thats how. A 180HP busa isn't going to find these problems on the hwy doing a rollon. That with a six over tail so its either put an 8 over on it or pull the stretch in

Last edited:
I've Read all the threads, buthave not come up with an answer yet. what size i shi should get to push my new 300mm fat tire

Well any kit you buy from RCC will be made for the bike you bought it for so there wont be any fitment issues. You might have to cut some plastic on the Ultra kits but I'm not sure about that.

i have a gt 40 on my busa and its putting out 524 hp on the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive never had an issue with my turbo busa. It takes the same maintenance as my na gsxr 1000. Ive had it at the track with temps from 90-50 out and it never skipped a beat. It ran like a champ with back to back runs in all temps. I dont ride long distances but it starts every time i put the key in it.

Back