Trunk mod done.

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Well since the other thread is pushing 20 pages and I myself got tired of looking thru page after page for pics of this or that I thought I'd start a new one. No disrespect meant to Sixpack and many many thanks to him for this ingenious idea.

Firstly many of you are using the black model can and since my bike is of the fastest color white and blue I thought it best to use same color fast model trash can :)
30a47268.jpg

This is a before pic showing how I can barely get what I carry inside....
4597cbd5.jpg

I left fender on and used an exacto knife to trim it out...
1474a388.jpg

12b2166d.jpg

Trim bucket to fit with a depth of about 4 1/2 inches set down in there a bit. I used small metal screws with washers on each side and blue loctite to secure them....
e0e5cd56.jpg

04a28b32.jpg

3bd525cf.jpg

Pic of all the stuff I had origianally in it. You can see how much more space there is now...
a8726be4.jpg

It's just about six inches deep....
eba09fd8.jpg

Now I've got room for what I really need to be able to fit in there, my favorite pistol and lots of ammo...
e683f930.jpg

You can just barely see bottom of can. I measured from tire to bottom of can and it's just over 3 inches. I hope this is enough because I don't feel like doing it again. I think here in south Florida it should be ok?
9429092e.jpg

I didn't really run into any problems per say but I did do a few things I would do different if I had it to do again. That's why I bought two cans :laugh:
I trimmed a bit too much off back of fender and trimmed it to edge of inside of fender instead of leaving a round line to fit the can. This created space in between can and fender that will need to be siliconed to prevent water from coming up and in. Other than that it's pretty straightforward and I wish I had done it long ago. Thanks Sixpack again for this incredible idea :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did mine it ended up being 4.5 inches deep and my bike is lowered. Mine will rub every now and then. I put tape on the bottom so I can watch it. Its not an issue unless my wife rides with me. Why not pics of how you cut it in the back where the tail light comes down? Seems strange no one ever puts them pics in. I didn't even take them when I did mine because I had to take the rear section off 2 times to get it done :laugh: I need to go back and seal around mine because I do get a few rocks and things in mine still. A winter job. Great job Sir and Thanks to (Marty) Sixpack77 for the great idea

Mr8ball as you see it in pics is how I put it back together.
I didn't cut it down in back? I could feel tail light pushing on it a bit but it all went back together without further need for more cutting.

Nice! You recycled the recycle bin, you green monster you! Did you cut the inner fender with it on the bike? Also, how does it look from underneath? Finally what about a drain? I ask all of these questions because a) I'm very perceptive and b) I f'd mine up! I washed the bike and then went for a little spin around the block. When I stopped the water washed out all over my a@#! It filled up and my PV5 and fuse block were submerged :laugh: They were all still working too. Ended up with a drain tube.

I did a trunk mod just before I left for Eureka Springs. I tried the trash cans like all of the posts that I have seen say to do and I did not like the out come, most were to flimsy didn't fit well or I didn't like the color (I may be a little too picky). So I went to the automotive dept at wal mart and picked up a black plastic battery box (they come in two different sizes, I used the smaller one). I like it better one they are about the same thickness as the material that the factory uses and they are black. I will have to take pics and get them posted.

Nice! You recycled the recycle bin, you green monster you! Did you cut the inner fender with it on the bike? Also, how does it look from underneath? Finally what about a drain? I ask all of these questions because a) I'm very perceptive and b) I f'd mine up! I washed the bike and then went for a little spin around the block. When I stopped the water washed out all over my a@#! It filled up and my PV5 and fuse block were submerged :laugh: They were all still working too. Ended up with a drain tube.

Yes i cut it with fender on. Taking it off seemed quite involved and also I didnt really see the need for it?
Leaving it on allowed me to 'eye ball' it a bit more as well. Didnt put drain holes in? Didn't think I'd need em?
When I rode all day in rain on way to bash or when I wash bike with hose not much water got in there before. There are a few more gaps in it now as I mentioned and I will keep and eye in them to see if i really need to seal them up or not. Also want to make sure I have enough clearance before I glue it all up.

Has anyone else had problems with only three inches clearance between bottom of can and tire?

Blanca Busa said:
Has anyone else had problems with only three inches clearance between bottom of can and tire?

Saiid I'm sitting right at 3 inches between tire and thrash can and I ride a lot with a 115 pound passenger and never had a problem. I have my suspension set a little on the stiff side though.

nice, I like the blue can idea. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really didn't think about it until I went to home depot. It was pouring all day yesterday. I was off and family was away. So I figured if you can't ride it let's mod it. :thumbsup:
I started going thru the trunk mod thread of sixpacks and saw sku # Mr8Ball posted. Searched the sight and my local store had sixteen in stock so I went over there bound and determined to geterdone. When I got there I saw the blue and thought it may make things easier to see inside. I set the two cans on the floor in store next to each other and bottom of blue one was much more visible than the black one simply due to color. So little things inside may stand out a bit more? I may shoot the outside bottom of it with some Rustoleum black.

Saiid I'm sitting right at 3 inches between tire and thrash can and I ride a lot with a 115 pound passenger and never had a problem. I have my suspension set a little on the stiff side though.

That's good to know because it came out pretty good. Thanks

I can't belive it! You finally did it Saiid.
The blue looks really cool too!
Now be honest, wasn't it EASY!:poke:

I can't belive it! You finally did it Saiid.
The blue looks really cool too!
Now be honest, wasn't it EASY!:poke:

You know after it all yes it was quite easy. Just very intimidating taking a knife to your motorcycle.
I think I can do better though and may wind up buying a new fender and not trimming it so much. Those gaps are mentally bothering my anal self :)?

that bucket better not start sagging cuz it.... may look like...... well.... you get the idea :laugh:

It's in there. I used six small machine screws and nuts as well as Velcro on front. Once I go for a ride and confirm it doesn't rub I'll silicon up the gaps holding it even more.
Should be ok?

Back