Gen 2 Trunk Mod

20150807_154020_zpsb5pxld2e.jpe

Did my mod today with the file box, i don't ride 2 up since my girl has her own bike so I went with 5 inches for the box and yet im still sticking out below thw tail by an inch or so. It doesn't look terrible since the box was a textured satin black, pretty much matches the stock plastic under there. My real question is if you guys are cutting them short enough to not poke out below, how are you gaining any room in the trunk over stock? I'm not lowered so the 5 inches gives me plenty of travel room under the trunk and I can stick a gallon milk jug in there no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I did this mod last night . I decided the Stainless steel was going to take more time/effort to fit vs how the OA had been doing this mod for years . So I followed the lead of others .

Made a template of the bottom of the can

DSCN0535_zpshtn7aoq9.jpg
DSCN0536_zpsusn03b3p.jpg
DSCN0537_zpsdvdgf9ia.jpg
DSCN0539_zps2n6czloh.jpg
DSCN0538_zpsg8yzt43w.jpg
DSCN0540_zpsmy1okx96.jpg
DSCN0542_zpsty8tovqs.jpg
DSCN0546_zps1mars2hm.jpg
DSCN0547_zpshpwlg9yg.jpg

DSCN0558_zpssyqgfes3.jpg

I'm pointing at a very nice fast fill micro air pump with gauge I store here out of the way with a few tie straps

DSCN0559_zpssx5ywx8l.jpg

DSCN0561_zpszsdu0lqs.jpg
DSCN0562_zpsnrhomcm9.jpg
DSCN0563_zpskzruafio.jpg

I also keep a lock pick set for riders who lose/break keys on rides/rally's Stored here above brake light with pump

DSCN0565_zpspkr7yfoa.jpg

DSCN0566_zps1o3jmjgq.jpg
DSCN0568_zpsrzvbiirc.jpg

Clean cloth rolled up tight

DSCN0567_zps3lmg18pz.jpg

No see trunk mod

I'm glad I revived this thread :)

I did mine yesterday, so much quicker 2nd time around. I needed 1/2" more clearance, but went a full 1" to be safe when riding 2-up. Hindsight is always 20/20, really just needed to take 1" off rear, could have left front the same. Oh well, more than enough room for what I carry. I rode the bike to work this morning, I'll see if I had enough clearance.

Also for the record, even though Wal-Mart's site says it doesn't carry the Sterlite 7.5gal "N base" black trash cans..... They do have them on the shelves, $10.

Also did a time lapse for fun. Did it, got intrupted by in-laws, then finished it and adjusted my low beam finally after 5yrs.

Also hile I was doing it, figured I'd write down some dimensions of mine and sketch it in CAD real quick. I added the 1" to the front of the sketch, so it should give anyone little more room and what I should have done. This works on lowered bikes with +6 arms & 250 tire.

Hayabusa Trash Can Dimensions.jpg

20150807_154020_zpsb5pxld2e.jpe

Did my mod today with the file box, i don't ride 2 up since my girl has her own bike so I went with 5 inches for the box and yet im still sticking out below thw tail by an inch or so. It doesn't look terrible since the box was a textured satin black, pretty much matches the stock plastic under there. My real question is if you guys are cutting them short enough to not poke out below, how are you gaining any room in the trunk over stock? I'm not lowered so the 5 inches gives me plenty of travel room under the trunk and I can stick a gallon milk jug in there no problem.

The angle is wrong.
The front of the can(towards the front of the bike) needs to go down.
And then the rear can come up.
Some of the cans will push into the cut out tail section and stay there, just so you can position it and step and look at it.
If yours won't, you just need and extra set of hands.
But you can hold the can in place from beneath at arm's reach, and get a good idea of where you need to be.
I had a template with dimensions, but I don't know where it is.
Infinate Reality's post above has the sizes though.
If you can fit a milk jug, then there's a 99% chance the can will rub the tire over bumps with a passenger.
I cut mine down to where I could put two 1 liter water bottles side by side, and had over an inch above them(so whatever that is:laugh:), but if I remember correctly it was 4.5" deep.
I never had a problem with it rubbing with a passenger after that.

Hasn't rubbed yet and the roads here in Lafayette are ****ty and rough so it has't came into contact yet. I didn't want the trunk at a hard angle so I put the can in level. Like I said, to me it doesn't look too bad.

Just did mine this past weekend; don't mind the metal shavings I had to drill out the rivets to re-position the trunk because it wasn't flush up against the bottom of the tail tray. I will add some more pics with some items inside the trunk. I've since put the bike together and taken it for a ride with no rubbing issues.

20151111_192308.jpg

20151111_192314.jpg

20151108_195456.jpg

20151108_195505.jpg

20151111_190013.jpg

Here are a couple pics with a 2 liter bottle of soda and some small items. I still had about 2 inches/fingers of clearance from the top of the bottle to the bottom of the seat latch bar. I think I could fit 2 sodas side by side if I move the small stuff to the back. Thanks for doing this mod and posting the instructions. This is the best functional mods I've done on the Busa. :thumbsup:

20151115_161722.jpg

20151115_161737.jpg

When my new fairings come in I'll get to do mine over a 3rd time, lol. I keep making them too tall in the rear and short in the front so my tire rubs on it. But I'm lowered and +6.

Last edited:
I need to do this mod but can't find a trash can to save my life. I know it has to be a 9x12 inch can right

Back