Too old to ride a Hayabusa

First :welcome:

Most of the people telling you this would likely have trouble handling a Vespa. The Busa is the perfect thumb in their eye. All my adult life people have been telling me I shouldn't be riding these things...that I need to be more responsible. F'em. I'm 48, the kids are grown and gone, and I'm still at it. The day I let other people determine how I live my life is the day I roll over and die.

I was riding on the highway. They were at an intersection and I didn't see them. I had to shut it down to be able to make it into the entrance to the development where I live. I was already home, taking my helmet off when 2 sheriffs cars came in with lights flashing. The third car came in with lights flashing from the only other exit where I live. The only way I wan't taken to jail was that they said they didn't have radar on me so they didn't know how fast I was really going. I got a ticket for speed exceeding reasonable and prudent conditions. That was 198.00. They showed me the fines for exceeding 100MPH. I believe it was 400.00 plus an amount for every MPH over 100. They kept badgering me as to how fast I was going, but all I told them was that I was fully concentrating on the road in front of me and all I noticed was the fluttering of the plastic in my windshield. Very lucky that day and I do agree it was not sensible to drive that fast on a public road. There are too many variables such as roadkill, objects that have fallen onto roadpath, drivers in front of you that could suddenly change lanes etc. It was a rush though.

Thanks for the info. ^^^

Glad you got out of it pretty well.
If you had gone just a little faster and got to you garage and put the door down as fast as humanly possible they
might have rolled on by and never caught you as I don't believe they got your plate number as you were flying by. :laugh:

It always amazes me that it takes 3 police to give a ticket. Well at least all the other speeder etc had a free pass while they were with you.
I have to wonder if when they saw how old you were if they were in shock and that made any difference?

Two very polite young officers caught up with me after I pulled off the highway and stopped, thinking which way to go next.
Apparently I had passed their unmarked car at speed and then pulled away from them for a couple of miles before I stopped. I have a feeling they were expecting someone around 25 and not the white haired gentleman that pulled off his helmet.
Age has its advantages :-)

Being that old definitely made a difference. I think if I'd been in my 20's I would have been handcuffed and thrown to the ground. The reason it took 3 of them was to block the outlet entrance if I would have tried to get away. As it was, I never saw them at the intersection or I would have put the bike and myself in the garage. I had plenty (minute or so) of time.

I've gotten a pass several times by stating "I'm just an old man(62 in June)on one of these young kid's motorsickles and I guess it kinda just got away from me. :laugh:"One time radar clocked me at 116 mph(had just slowed down from about 170 mph)and after my little spiel the officer shook my hand,told me to slow my old azz down and cut me loose without even a warning ticket.I've always found that since I don't mouth off,and act a little humble and apologetic for actin' the fool they cut me a lot of slack.

I was riding on the highway. They were at an intersection and I didn't see them. I had to shut it down to be able to make it into the entrance to the development where I live. I was already home, taking my helmet off when 2 sheriffs cars came in with lights flashing. The third car came in with lights flashing from the only other exit where I live. The only way I wan't taken to jail was that they said they didn't have radar on me so they didn't know how fast I was really going. I got a ticket for speed exceeding reasonable and prudent conditions. That was 198.00. They showed me the fines for exceeding 100MPH. I believe it was 400.00 plus an amount for every MPH over 100. They kept badgering me as to how fast I was going, but all I told them was that I was fully concentrating on the road in front of me and all I noticed was the fluttering of the plastic in my windshield. Very lucky that day and I do agree it was not sensible to drive that fast on a public road. There are too many variables such as roadkill, objects that have fallen onto roadpath, drivers in front of you that could suddenly change lanes etc. It was a rush though.

Take that to court and get off of it! No radar = no ticket. No matter how much BS an officer will give about being highly trained in speed estimation, it is just that, an estimate and will not hold up in court.

I am 48 year old and own a 2006 Hayabusa, a 2006 Harley Davidson Fatboy, and a 2006 Yamaha Raptor. Of the three, the most dangerous was the Quad (06 Raptor) Four wheels gives a false feeling of stability and wants literally to fly in the air and take big chances. The Harley Davidson sounds incredible if you like the sound of a WWII fighter plane, and drives smooth like an old Cadilliac. Great for cruisings or parades and just being comfortable. However, my Hayabusa is a joy to ride. I feel completely connects to her. I describe driving her like driving a jet, you have to think ahead cause she will take off faster, brake later, and her limits are way beyond my skills. To me it feels like owning a Formula One with her excelleration and her capabilities. I love things that are mechanical and think she is a work of art. The Hayabusa is very comfortable and 150 mile trip does not hammer you. I do not particularly like long trips so this works out fine. My honest opinion is that if I could only keep one bike to the grave, its my Hayabusa.

Well here is a different take on things. The HD is a bike with a culture. If you ride a HD you can find a million people who are like minded and are fun to ride with. I'm not a big time socializer type, I love the feeling of being basically alone in the helmet taking in the miles. I like to take off when I get to the good part of the road and ride like a 20 year old where it's is safe from traffic or the cops. Maybe an occasional comment over the radio or the necessary safty chatter. It sort of like the scene in Crimson Tide where Gene Hackman and Danzel Washington are riding in the conning tower of the sub and Gene says Danzel's stock went up because he knew to keep his mouth shut and enjoy the view. That's my kind of riding, and I plan to do it as long as I am physically capable - whatever that age is. But it's very hard to find that perfectly compatible riding buddy as you get older riding a Busa. Most people my age are grandfathers, and the last thing on earth they would be doing with their time is flying down some backroad through a corn field at 130 mph. When I ride with kids it's ridiculious. Scream over the road, no discipline, near death experiences at every turn, then stop at the next gas station and talk trash for 30 minutes on the 10 minute ride you just had. I once saw a guy try to pull a wheelie between two cars and nearly crash. When I asked him what he thought he was doing he said he had never ridden a wheelie and thought it would be cool to ride one between the two cars, really? Just not for me. So as you get older the busa life can get lonely, but still I love the hours I spend with the bike. It becomes a way of life like any addiction. People are scared of addictions. But the way I see it we are all addicted to whatever reaches the deepest into our souls. That might be kids, baseball, or even always being as safe as possible. For me its when my senses are on high, a steady stream of adrenaline is pumping, and a part of the world nobody ever takes the time to look at is passing by my windsheild.

I don't know i was about 65 when i bought my first sports bike A o8 hayabusa March 08. I am a harley rider but the Bus is so much a better bike. It took me years to fiqure out the suspension, fuel, timming, Gear ratios, But it all works now. It is so nice to have a bike like this and run and handle the way i want it to. 85 1st, 115 2nd, 145 3rd, 173 4th, Then every thing is fine.

Your too old to ride, when your pushing up daisies (covered with 6' of dirt), nuff said. Saddle up and ride it like you stole it.[SUP][/SUP]

I am being told by some that at the age of 58 a Busa is to much for me and I should be an old Harley man or give up bikes completely!
What are your thoughts on this everyone......am I the oldest here?
My brother u are not too old. I’m 59 and just bought my second Hyabusa. I love sports bikes. Think young ride young.

Thanks 4life, Sorry if I have misled you, I own a 2009 Busa and am well happy with it, some are suggesting I should get rid!
You have a perfectly good Gen 2 motorcycle and I assume you still enjoy it.
SOME (who are these people) SUGGESTING you get rid of something you enjoy?
Maybe you should tell them that you will give up your Busa when you stop breathing.

Are they SUGGESTING this because you use a walker, or have the start of Dementia?
Or are you so weak that you can't hold the bike up a stop signs or traffic lights?

Why do you care what other people think? Is your wife (assuming you are married) threatening to divorce you?

Are you not old enough to make your own decisions?

It's your life - why don't you live your life the way you want to - instead of someone else telling you how to live it.

Back