Too old to ride a Hayabusa

Smithabusa's 72 yr old grandfather just bought a busa so at 55 I'm just gettin' started :whistle: But the best part is when the young girls pull up at a light and start flirting with ya-love raising the shield and asking "Hey, is your Mom single?" :laugh:

I am being told by some that at the age of 58 a Busa is to much for me and I should be an old Harley man or give up bikes completely!
What are your thoughts on this everyone......am I the oldest here?

I'm 58 and bought my K2 Hayabusa a few months before my birthday. I came back to biking about six years ago after a thirty year break. I bought an SV650 [fine but a bit small] then a Thunderace which I've still got and is a great bike but a little dated, although very underrated. The reason for buying the Busa was I wanted something with effortless power [I'm a big lad] happy to munch the miles and was planted and comfy. I don't do track days anymore and just stick to road riding and lots of it. All the hype about the Busa has created a perception of a fearsome beast that's going to get you into hospital or killed. I think its a load of rubbish. Any bike can do that if you're going to ride like an idiot. A modern 600 can do 170mph+ if you want it to. True the Busa isn't as nimble to throw around as a modern lightweight litre bike but where on the roads do you throw a bike around anyway? Just knowing that you can overtake anything with ease, get to where you want to go quickly in reasonable comfort and not have to spend all day polishing chrome after a few drops of rain is fine by me.
Most of us who ride use and accept speed as a tool. A great servant but a lousy master etc. To me buying a Harley is more a social statement than anything to do with riding. I've ridden Harleys and quite frankly they're just not for me, that's all. They are heavy, slow and really need big wide roads. The Busa can cruise, fly or scream depending on what you want and for me just knowing that the power and handling is there when and if I need it is a very, very good feeling.
You're only as old as you feel - personally I want to keep riding my Busa forever - best bike I ever bought.

Well, I'm 65, I'll be 66 at he end of next month. I have two big bikes, my Hayabusa and a Honda ST1300. The ST is by no means a 'Busa, but it's no slouch either. Of Course --- Glad you could join us... :welcome:

I have seen some 50+ year olds on the track that ran much faster times than the 20 year olds. I don't think the issue is age as much as health to be honest which goes for not only motorcycles but anything else. I ride downhill bikes and one of the guys I ride with races and he's in his late 40's. Now, downhill racing isn't something just anyone can do, most expert courses will eat people alive or send them to the hospital. Again, age is not the factor, health and physical ability is what really counts.

Happy riding!!!!

Where did we dig this one up? Original poster last logged in October 2012, looks like he never got to a Busa, 5 posts.

I noticed he only had 5 posts too. Oh well - Maybe he got his answer and is out busy riding with no time to post any more. :whistle:

Most of us regardless of age, know that you have to have your wits about you to ride this bike for sure but that could also be said for ANY motorcycle.
Doing head checks, operating the clutch, throttle, and brakes takes coordination vs setting in a car/truck and not having to balance anything.
These acts help us keep a sharp mind (I hope riding will keep dementia from creeping up) not only for riding but many other things that life throws at us.

Even though I wouldn't call most motorcycling exercise - you should be burning more calories riding, then sitting in a vehicle.
And since the older we get the fewer calories we burn.... So riding has many little benefits outside of the big ones like Fun, A Blast to ride, and no other feeling like riding etc.

Older people make mistakes and do dumb thinks too, but not as often as younger people because with age comes wisdom.
How many of you wouldn't like to be 20 again and know what you know now? Ah if only we could turn back time.
But since we can't, we can take solace in the fact that we are wiser now and still alive. :laugh:
Now if we could only get the younger people to listen to us. Oh wait they are like we were and know everything.

I would much rather take advice from someone older (maybe with 40 years of riding experience) and still has an adventurous soul AS they
probably know a thing or two about how to have fun and keep out of trouble (crash, etc) more then most people do.:bowdown:

It seems like many at the "Borg" are over 50.
I had a busa 10 years ago and I had a couple of bikes in between. 2 years ago I got my current 99 model.
As you get younger you appreciate the busa even more, not less...

BB

Sounds kind of dumb to me. What's too old? I guess as long as you're capable of riding anything with two wheels and a motor what does it matter?
I'm nearly 60 and have had my first gen Busa nearly three years. I came back to biking after a thirty year break and had an SV650, CBR600, Thunderace and then the Busa. As far as I'm concerned the Busa just ticks all the boxes. Its big, comfortable, rock steady and can just about show anything the finger even as stock. Sure, you can get into trouble real quick but you can do that on any modern sportsbike. Its also pretty reliable and has never missed a beat. Admittedly its happiest at around three figures and so easy to get there without too much thinking but its not compulsory. Just having the power is what its all about - Uncle Teddy was right: Walk softly but carry a big stick! [I've also got a big cruiser for the taking the wife out - women just seem to like chrome, don't ask me why].

I just turned 50 sunday and I have no plans on giving up the busa any time in the future. I have found myself eyeballing the Victory Cross Country Tour but if i did it would only be a second bike. Not a replacement.

I'm 66 (just retired Jan. 19, 2015) birthday 9/14/48. Been riding for a long time and love the Busa. Probably have a little more sense now than 2 years ago - stopped doing 170. Surrounded by 3 sheriff's cars. I never even saw them until I got home. They were at the side of the road when I passed them. They exerted their influence never to do that again - and I haven't.

I'm 66 (just retired Jan. 19, 2015) birthday 9/14/48. Been riding for a long time and love the Busa. Probably have a little more sense now than 2 years ago - stopped doing 170. Surrounded by 3 sheriff's cars. I never even saw them until I got home. They were at the side of the road when I passed them. They exerted their influence never to do that again - and I haven't.

Just curious.

You passed them going 170 - so how did they get your plate number?
Did they follow you home? Did you see them follow you?

Does "exerted their influence" mean you got a ticket or a warning?

Several years ago, about the time this thread started we had an 83 year old member that still rode his Busa.

I'll be 64 in May. I still bring my Busa and GIXER to the drag strip on a regular basis. I have a Harley. But the Busa gets ridden a lot more then the Harley. Maybe that will change some day. I guess you'll know when it's time to slow down... Not my time yet.

Maybe the Busa is an old man's sports bike? :whistle: :hide:

I think you got that a little wrong.

The Busa is ANY man's bike - old or young makes no difference.

Some women ride them too - but I haven't seen any posts from older women (55 or more) stating that they still ride.

In my opinion.

If you can still lift your leg over the seat and hold the bike up with out problems and can remember where you are and where you want to go, then your not to old. :thumbsup:

If you are 58 and own a Busa , and are able to come here and ask such a sensible question as this , the answer is simply.......

YES

Back