Tony Stewart kills driver in race last night.

if he had spun his tires....his rear end would have slid down the track and why the front end appeared to steer towards him......jmo

Obviously Tony was too close to be avoiding him. I agree, and believe he was going to soil some clothing with dirt. It became a tragic accident and I feel sorry for the family of the deceased. This will change Tony forever, maybe legally and emotionally.

I took from the video that the front end appeared to go up the turn at impact (which seemed to be enough to slide the rear end down a few inches). I could be wrong, but I haven't replayed more than 10 times yet...I'm sure the authorities are and we'll know soon enough what some of their decisions are along with the racing organization. At minimum both parties engaged in poor sportsmanship, but that also is and always has been part of the magnetism of racing. The sponsorships do not usually like it, but the majority of spectators do...We'll see what they say over the next bit.

Even if no charges are filed, I would imagine Tony is a long way from being off the hook.

if he had spun his tires....his rear end would have slid down the track and why the front end appeared to steer towards him......jmo

Disagree, enough centrifical force going around the circle with the spin to put the rear outside and uphill into IMHO...

To me it looks like the guy went into the wall due to being pushed too wide. Then he gets out like a fool and what, tries to stop Steward somehow? What could have been going through his mind beside blind rage. He killed himself. Tony did not make that happen.

Even if no charges are filed, I would imagine Tony is a long way from being off the hook.

Disagree somewhat. You can't fix stupid. We have all done stupid things especially when mad or angry.
Most of the time it doesn't cost us our life. Sometimes it does.

Would I feel bad if someone walked into my path and I had no time to correct (especially when it is 100% unexpected) and they were killed? Absolutely.
But life goes on and beating yourself up over something you basically had no control over is a waste of time and energy.

How many people would be alive today if they had not been drunk or angry or enraged and died or were killed because of their actions?

Sad that rules need to be put in place to help us protect ourselves when most should be common sense.
It's not rocket science that you should say in a vehicle after an accident as there is protection when in the vehicle. Of course
common sense would say if it is on fire or maybe about to go over a cliff then you get out, but that is pretty rare.

I guess it is still pretty fuzzy to me, what was the objective of the guy who got out of his vehicle? Did he want to get to the other side of the track?
Was he trying to slow or stop the race? Was he hoping to cause an accident (not his own) to stop the race? Was he going to go chase down the guy
who he thought caused his accident and beat him up? What ever the case, his anger blinded him and threw common sense out the window. Therefore he did something stupid.

That is not Tony's fault.

Like most racing...it is just part of racing...bad things happen...if he wanted a fight he should have done it by the trailers like anybody else. Any loss of life affects many people all at once so it is a sad event.

Back