Hit and Run last night.

Adrenaline is awesome , You want to beat dudes a$$ , but like they said he could have a weapon. At least you got the plate# so let the insurance take care of the rest

Really didn't want to beat him up. Even if he had hit me I just would haw wanted them to come and arrest the guy. I live in a congested grid pattern area. Like I said I'm 100 sure we passed one or two cops while I was following him.

Good grief. My wife calls and says I put a hand on her and the whole dept shows up minutes later.
Call to get help following a fleeing hit and run driver and their like don't worry about it?

I must have envisioned pulling him out of the car at gunpoint a hundred times. Cooler heads prevailed and I'm glad the operator was kind enough to say 'sir calm down and let him go'.

A violent crime or one in true need I would not have listened and done what my heart told me.

you did the right thing going and getting the plate i would have gone back and talked to the person who got hit and explain what happened

you did the right thing going and getting the plate i would have gone back and talked to the person who got hit and explain what happened

I did. I basically did a big circle, three right turns and thought he was heading back to accident to face his fate but alas when I turned back onto my road to go home he kept going. I stopped at accident scene and gave the people a business card with my info as well as gave it to the cops.

I could just tell he was gonna run by the way he kept backing up saying he was sorry.
Slipped into car and floored it. I was like unh uh.

Roscooooooooe P Coltrain......Hot Pursuit......Caa ca Caa coo!
tumblr_l9l2dvec6d1qate3qo1_400.jpg

Was ready to cuff and stuff him :)

LEO's have strict policy's here for chase, which is they don't chase people here unless it's a known felon. They are trained for that kind of driving not mention they have a siren an lights. They don't want people doing chases out there, keep in mind if you chase this guy and he goes up on the sidewalk running from you and kills some people you may find yourself facing charges and if the guy gets away you will be the only one facing charges.

This same thing happened to me I got close enough to get his tag and went back to the scene and gave the info and went home never heard from them again.

The cops did care. They cared about your safety. We had an incident involving road rage here were the parents chased down a guy who tied to run their kids off the road. Guns were involved. long story short the mother was ran over and killed and the court proceedings are still on going. The dispatcher repeatedly told them to break off and they ignored the order.

Around here we get a call of a hit and run, then ten minutes later we get a call from the owner of stolen vehicle. We pull up the info for "Stolen" car and it seems to be just like the one we are looking for. Gee I wonder what happened?

Just sounded strange to me how adimate they were in telling me to stop?
Like they didn't really care?

It seems to be a common thing. I was in a similar situation with dispatch a while back when there were 4 depts (two local and two state) looking for a particular vehicle. I spotted the vehicle and called it in and the lady at dispatch was more worried about why I was following this vehicle down the road.

I advised her I know there are two unmarked county units sitting at the other end of the road we are on and one of them knows this vehicle specifically and wants to have a talk with the driver, and would she let them know it is heading their way so they can make a stop. She ignored my thoughts and says "WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING THEM?"

I have a few choice thoughts for that dispacher~!~

You did the right thing. Place the call give the info and let the police deal with it. Please tell me you weren't really gonna peruse and attempt to stop the offender... If you were willing to get yourself into a confrontation and possible violent situation, commendable but stupid. This person ran for a reasons unknown to you and at the time the police. Me personally, I would have got the plate relay the info and hope the best for the person who was hit and hope they had insurance. I'm not willing to be the guy risking my life or well being for something as trivial as a car accident/hit & run.

Back