War Hero helps nab suspects in dog killing

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Linky: War hero helps nab suspects in dog killing - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Best part of article is in red below....the cops should have given him 5 minutes alone with the punks....
--------------------------------------------------

War hero helps nab suspects in dog killing
Labrador retriever had been given to him to help heal after Afghan combat

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A highly decorated Navy SEAL who found his beloved yellow Labrador retriever shot dead outside his home helped capture the alleged gunmen following a high-speed chase through three counties.

Marcus Luttrell stayed on the line with a 911 operator as he tried to catch the fleeing suspects during the 40-mile chase that reached speeds of over 100 mph.

"I told them, 'You need to get somebody out here because if I catch them I'm going to kill them,'" Luttrell said he told the operator, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Police stopped the three suspects and charged two men with cruelty to a non-livestock animal. The driver of the vehicle was cited for not having a license.

There are at least five area dog killings in recent months that could be linked to the case, said Texas Ranger Steven Jeter.

Lone survivor of Taliban attack
Luttrell was awarded the Navy Cross for combat heroism in 2006. He is the lone SEAL team member to survive a June 2005 firefight with the Taliban in Afghanistan and was given a puppy to help him heal after he returned from the war. He named it Dasy as an acronym for his SEAL team members lost in that battle.

Luttrell told the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday that he had heard a gunshot on the night of April 1, checked on his mom inside the house and then went outside where he saw Dasy.

"I could tell she tried to get away because there was a blood trail," Luttrell said. "When I saw she was dead, the only thing that popped into my head was, 'I’ve got to take these guys out.'"

Luttrell was recovering from surgery, but when he spotted a suspicious car parked nearby, he crawled under a fence and snuck up on the strangers, aiming a 9mm pistol at them from about 25 yards away.

He didn't fire, however, and as the car left, he ran to his pickup and launched the high-speed chase. His pickup couldn't keep up with the car, but police eventually stopped the suspects.

Luttrell said he the confronted the men. "I was like, 'Which one of you guys killed my dog?'" he said. "They started talking smack."

"I did everything right; I didn’t do anything wrong," he said. "Make sure everyone knows they cold-bloodily murdered."

Now in 'middle of nowhere'
Jeter, the Texas Ranger, said "Marcus is trained to do certain things; he fell back on his training." But he added: "I wouldn’t advocate to the general public to do what he has done — to follow them at that rate of speed."

In his phone interview, Luttrell said he had left his Huntsville home and was in "the middle of nowhere."

He added that Dasy's killing was a huge setback in his life.

"I was trying to talk myself out of being who I am," he told the Chronicle. "Talking to myself about not doing the one thing I am good at."

MSNBC did an interview with this same guy back in 2007

I guess what sticks out in my mind the most is what he went through as a SEAL, and his dog was given to him to help him heal (emotionally I guess) and he gave the dog a name that was an acronym for his SEAL team members who were killed.

I dont know how I would have reacted. I dont know if I could have shown the same restraint he did.

Check out the interview of him from 2007

msnbc.com Video Player

Last edited:
I think those punks should get exactly what they dished out!!! Shoot 'em!!! But then I have zero tolerance for cruelty to animals or children.

They really are lucky the cops got them first

My dogs ARE my children, they're family.

If someone shot your child, what would you do?

Labs are one of the most friendly and happiest breeds. I'm sure the penalty for killing non-livestock animals is no where near harsh enough!

I guess what sticks out in my mind the most is what he went through as a SEAL, and his dog was given to him to help him heal (emotionally I guess) and he gave the dog a name that was an acronym for his SEAL team members who were killed.

I dont know how I would have reacted. I dont know if I could have shown the same restraint he did.

msnbc.com Video Player

Wow! What a story! The liberal bastids should all watch this video! WTF?
Thanks for the link Ron.

msnbc.com Video Player
I can tell you that I would not have hesitated. I treat my dogs like my children. And in his situation I would have been shooting without a doubt. I find it hard to imagine how he did not just take them out. That shows a lot of progress on his part.

Back