Tire wear question

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
This is my front Qualifier after 6000+ miles, I discovered it was in this condition 60 miles away from home.
SHOCKED.gif

Can the flames, these are only on 4-5 places on half the circumference of the tire- on my pre-ride check I saw smooth tread, but not the hickey-looking places as they were under the fender.

So obviously the tire is worn out, I have a replacement waiting at the shop for my next day off. My question is, is this just a normal worn-out tire that will handle riding to the shop to replace it, or an explosive blowout waiting to happen at any moment?
rock.gif

Anyone had a tire of similar appearance before replacement, or God forbid had a blowout while riding on aforementioned tire?

Qualsmall.JPG

Just do a wheelie all the way there LOLLOL!Just kidding,I wouldnt chance it ,Those spots are very thin

Like I said, new tire is at the shop, but the shop is 20 miles away. Will it make it?
rock.gif

I would ride. Speed limit only.
Never let my front get there before. I have seen the cord's in the rear.
Avoid glass & sharp rocks.

I would not ride that any faster than you think you could control a front blowout at. 25-30 mph at most - and keep the tire cool.

I really don't see a problem if your only going 20 miles. Like the others said, just be careful and drive slow (as in 30 mph or less)  
beerchug.gif

If you have a way of getting it there without riding it, that is what I would do. Why be sorry when you can be safe?

I'd (almost) be more worried about getting a ticket for the Bald tire than having it blow out on the 20 mile cruise to the shop. But that's just me.

You need to reexamine your preride checklist, what's considered ok and whats 'not safe'. Tires don't get like that from one ride.

(JuiceSC @ May 03 2007,12:46) You need to reexamine your preride checklist, what's considered ok and whats 'not safe'. Tires don't get like that from one ride.
beerchug.gif
Safety 1st

(JuiceSC @ May 03 2007,14:46) You need to reexamine your preride checklist, what's considered ok and whats 'not safe'. Tires don't get like that from one ride.
Refer to original post-

"Can the flames, these are only on 4-5 places on half the circumference of the tire- on my pre-ride check I saw smooth tread, but not the hickey-looking places as they were under the fender. "

And yes, it did happen on a 150-mile ride before this one as I had occasion to roll the bike back onto the rear stand to lube the chain before that ride and look at the whole tire.

Shouldn't assume...
poke.gif

Wasn't flaming. I see a BALD tire there. Those spots come after riding on blad tires for a while. IMO, that tire was unsafe to ride on about a 1000 miles ago.

Tires are realtively cheap compared to body panels. Or worse....

I agree with Danny. Just go slow. How old is this tire?

I have an 05 that has pristine tires because I haven't ridden it that much. My question would be--how about age. They are two years old now. How old can they be before they are too old, regardless of wear, for 180 mph?

Tire replaced today, moot point.

FAV- I would think you would want to replace that tire. Extended periods of cold, dry weather (Idaho, maybe?
smile.gif
) will tend to make rubber become brittle and possibly crack.

Man, you need to get out and ride more! I got my bike last June and I'm on my third rear tire!
laugh.gif

Most tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires after 72 months, regardless of tread left on them. The reason for this is that UV rays damage tires in that they break down the compounds in the tires and cause them to crack. The cracks may be too small to see with the naked eye, but again, it's better to be safe than sorry here.

72 Months  
wow.gif
, Geezzzzzzzzzz that's 6 years. If you haven't ridden 3500 miles (average tire life) in 6 years, you should just SELL the Bike
laugh.gif

Back