rear tire wear

nbusa

Registered
how far past the tread wear indicaters does everyone let the tire go before replacing it? i can only get about 1800 to 2k out of a batalax 56,i let it go past indicaters until almost smooth in middle and little tread on outer edges

Brother, you are playing with fire. I replace my tire when the tread meets the wear bars, period.

I almost learned a very painful lesson aboard my CBR954RR two summers back when I ran the stock rear Pilot Sport past the bars. When the tire finally decided to give up the ghost, it did so pretty quickly, to the point the tire delaminated in "sheets" of rubber.

By the time you're at the wear bars, you've got so little rubber between yourself and the belts, it's just not worth it IMO.

Brother, you are playing with fire. I replace my tire when the tread meets the wear bars, period.

I almost learned a very painful lesson aboard my CBR954RR two summers back when I ran the stock rear Pilot Sport past the bars. When the tire finally decided to give up the ghost, it did so pretty quickly, to the point the tire delaminated in "sheets" of rubber.

By the time you're at the wear bars, you've got so little rubber between yourself and the belts, it's just not worth it IMO.
+1 I start looking for tire deals when mine get to the bars and replace them as soon as possible after that. Not worth trying to squeeze a bit more life out of 'em to me...

I wear out the left edge first, so as soon as it is flush with the wear bar I replace it. I've seen guys push the rear when the center is bald, but they just do regular traffic commute. I would not try any high speed on a worn tire.

[/QUOTE]

+2

+3
Ya ever had a blowout? Not pretty. When I was young and stupid (did I say that?) I used to run my tires all the way. Hell, I'd ride showin threads. One blowout @ speed on the rear wasn't enough to convince me to change my ways, "didn't drop it....aaahhh, no big deal. Then I lost a front. I fell. It hurt. Kinda spendy too.

Replace them when they hit the wear bars. It'll save you a lot of grief....maybe more than that.
Mark

i had mine so bald, i had shiney metal wires 90 % around the tire where it made contact with the ground. also did high speed runs and many many miles (1.5months) on the tire. but that was because i could not afford the tire at the time. The bike had the expensive pirelli diablo tires on it

Now that I got the tire replaced, the bike seem alot stronger that it did. I later realized that it was tire slippage that weakend the pulls.

i had mine so bald, i had shiney metal wires 90 % around the tire where it made contact with the ground. also did high speed runs and many many miles (1.5months) on the tire. but that was because i could not afford the tire at the time. The bike had the expensive pirelli diablo tires on it

Now that I got the tire replaced, the bike seem alot stronger that it did. I later realized that it was tire slippage that weakend the pulls.
Do us all a favor and never do that again...If push comes to shove go a bike shop and get a take off but ride it as was it is a take off...

Every three races, lets see that equates to every 40-60 miles. You guys are riding those bikes like my grandmother!  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|busagod
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113880374 -->

I usually run mine down to as smooth as a babies ass. But, once they reach the wear bars I never exceed a hundred mph. I will usually burn the last of the rubber off before I change it. I run BTO14's and I've never had a flat or a blowout but I am careful once I get past the wear bars!

If you take the cost of tires and take the actual miles that you will get to run a set of tires beyond the wear bars, you will find that you are not saving very much money at all.

Another point to ponder, you wear your tires BEYOND the wear bars and put a bike down and you risk a good chance that your insurance company will leave you flapping in the breeze. If you are in an accident and anyone else is hurt as a result of your action, like a rear seat rider or pedestrian, etc, you can be charged with some heavy duty charges.

Besides all that, people seeing jaggedy-ass tires like that on a Busa at a stop light will just suck ALL the cool right out of a guy.

Dude it's a Busa... Replace AT the Wear indicator... That's why they are there... Don't fug around.

I thought that they hook up better when they are all smooth....bigger contact patch
rock.gif
J/K if your tires are worn don't take the chance....replace your tires!
wink.gif

I have about 5600 miles on my stock tires. I will be replacing them this week. I just haven't had time to get my Busa into the shop for them to change my tires. Also, I went with the BT-014s. I can't wait to get them on.:D

Tires are cheap your life is not. You see the wear bars you should start changing the tires.

Back