Tire wear bars...

bitabur

Registered
I'm getting close to the wear bars being even with the tire in the middle of my tread... it looks like I still have considerable (maybe 30% of the original depth) tread left, but I'm not really sure at what point this becomes dangerous (or illegal).

I've seen people ride right up until the core is exposed, but obviously that isn't a good idea.

So, on the stock BT056, when you hit the wear bars, what percentage of tread life is left on the tire, or is it time to replace now?

I always thought if you hit the wear bars, it is time to replace. Another method is to place a penny in the tread, if you can see the top of abes head, time to replace.

You are supposed to replace them when they hit the wear bar. Anything beyond that is up to your comfort level.

(twotonevert @ Oct. 03 2007,05:06) I always thought if you hit the wear bars, it is time to replace. Another method is to place a penny in the tread, if you can see the top of abes head, time to replace.
Yep, Dat's de Correct and Approved Answer  
tounge.gif

Beyond the bar, your traction and built in tire squrm ability is at it's miminum. Then below the wear marks you get to a point where a sharp rock can cut the tire badly. You pay your money, YOU decide  
jump9.gif

I ride them until I see a little bit of coord showing and I mean a Little then I replace them it really suxs because it just seems like it was yesterday that I replace the tires and I already have to buy a new rear only got about 4500 miles out of this last PP 2CT

I ran the last rear tire to the cord: 5400 miles on Dunlop Qualifier.  Installed some Pirelli Diablo Stradas--and promised myself I'd never let the tires go to the wear limit again.  I was not as worried about the safety factor as the loss of "Busa magic" on the curves.  The new Pirelli's feel solid and planted in the curves, and I really missed that feeling on the old to-the-cord tires.  If money were not an issue (!) I'd replace both front and rear tires every few thousand miles just to maintain the sport bike feel.  However, money IS an issue.  I went with Stradas to see if I could get an extra few miles out of them.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'll replace front and rear as a set next time around.  I do like the feel!

I'm still maybe 0.5-1.0mm above the wear bar. I have a long trip coming up (@3000 round trip, 1500 each way and I could get a new tire at my destination as I'm staying with family for a week) and I'm nervous about making the first half without reaching the cords.

Seems like the best decision would probably be to saccrifice the remaining tread and get a new tire before I leave, but the penny pincher in me wants to gamble and get a new tire down there.

Would you guys recommend matching the front (BT056 stocker) or getting a PP and not worrying about the rear being stickier than the front?

I had the front wheel off doing some brake work this weekend and noticed a big cut in my tire. I'm still off the wear bars and hadn't planned on changing it out for a few weeks yet. Thank god I pulled the wheel to replace the rotors.

I had been at the top of the speedo a few days before.
AAAssjani.gif

this is one area that skimping can be catastrophic (if not fatal)! A rear tire blowout at any speed is something I would never want to experience.

(DR1300R @ Oct. 03 2007,12:53) Cords baby.. I get my moneys worth..
super.gif
Yeh man!

Doyle why not just blow it off the rim! LOL

can a flat spot on a tire be dangerous ? Almost al of my miles were on highway, now mostly back roads, and the bike feels like it wants to stand up on me in turns. Somone told me that the flat spot will cause this ?

(bitabur @ Oct. 03 2007,20:38) Would you guys recommend matching the front (BT056 stocker) or getting a PP and not worrying about the rear being stickier than the front?
I would like to know the answer to that too ?

I know someone who rides a Perrelli Diablo, on the rear, and a Perrelli Diablo Corsa III, on the front ? Also, should you run the same brand of tires, front, and rear ?

I know it's more about what you like personally, but you know what I mean, right ?

Back