Tire wear question;

I ride with Tuf on a regular basis and have the highest regard for his inputs, it also sounds like Mr Bogus knows his stuff too.

I agree that correct springs would be a far better way to go.. I just didn't have the cabbage at the time..

As far as the "top of the heap" stuff... one day at the track and I realized just how slow I really am..:laugh: Tuf could run circles around me whenever he wanted to..

Oh... and your humble opinion is greatly appreciated.. you make good points with the suspension comments..

Thanks, I think it's cool when various skilled people can contribute to a specialized aspect of a sport (in this case, tire wear on motorcycles) without getting into a pi$$ing contest. Re: my "top of the heap" comment....one can tell so much about another's riding style/skill level by the brand and wear pattern of the tires on their bike! Your's demonstrates that you focus and push your skill level alot. I get passed on the track more than a couple times a day but that doesn't mean I'm not proud of my efforts and improvement!
I look forward to riding with you Pacific Northwest guys someday!
Doyle

Doyle, no matter how good you become there is always someone out there who will pass you with ease. I have learned to accept it with a smile. I have the priviledge of hanging out with and riding with some of the best riders in the NW and I am humbled on a regular basis. But in the same tokin, I feel very confident none of them are going to run over me if I fall, snare my front wheel on a pass or arse pack me when I sit up and get on the brakes.

So don't feel bad about someone giving you a whoopin on the track. It's just part of the excitement of the game! Anyways, like John Hopkins once said, if you ride 100% more than three laps, bad things are going to happen!

Great thread, by the way!

:beerchug:

Thanks, I think it's cool when various skilled people can contribute to a specialized aspect of a sport (in this case, tire wear on motorcycles) without getting into a pi$$ing contest. Re: my "top of the heap" comment....one can tell so much about another's riding style/skill level by the brand and wear pattern of the tires on their bike! Your's demonstrates that you focus and push your skill level alot. I get passed on the track more than a couple times a day but that doesn't mean I'm not proud of my efforts and improvement!
I look forward to riding with you Pacific Northwest guys someday!
Doyle

Look me up Raydog! I'd love to show you around "my" roads! :laugh:

I hadn't checked back to this thread since Wednsday..

The general consensus is, I need to slow down on the street...

When two of your friends are race school instructors (and can ride circles around you) and they tell you you should back it off a notch(Tuf being one of 'em)...I guess I'd better listen.

The combination of a heavy bike, coarse Oregon roads, and a soft sidewall make for short tire life.

I need to get back to the track.......

I should give you guys the tire's i throw away, the sides are brand new I only wear out the middle:rofl: I am taking off the rear that still has the little needle rubber thingy sticking out the sides

Like Tuf mentioned Suspension could be a possible issue when was the last time it was serviced. If you are pushing that hard on the street yeah you might want to slow down a bit :laugh:

imo, if you were riding alot of twisties for that many miles, thats what happened. if the tire was cool b4 the ride and now like that, it was the ride. if it was suspension related, that drastic of a change in the tire would've 4 sure made some noticeable riding problems.

Like Tuf mentioned Suspension could be a possible issue when was the last time it was serviced. If you are pushing that hard on the street yeah you might want to slow down a bit :laugh:

Forks were just serviced.

imo, if you were riding alot of twisties for that many miles, thats what happened. if the tire was cool b4 the ride and now like that, it was the ride. if it was suspension related, that drastic of a change in the tire would've 4 sure made some noticeable riding problems.

Yea... no noticeable riding changes...other than it felt better. I'm thinkin it is a combo of my riding style, the soft tires, and the coarse asphalt..

Forks were just serviced.

Yea... no noticeable riding changes...other than it felt better. I'm thinkin it is a combo of my riding style, the soft tires, and the coarse asphalt..

ahhhhhh, the plot thickens.......coarse asphalt

Remember Mark, as the handling feels better we are naturally prone to go faster. Confidence is the most likely issue with those tires. :laugh:

Remember Mark, as the handling feels better we are naturally prone to go faster. Confidence is the most likely issue with those tires. :laugh:

That's what everyone keeps tellin me... although I don't really feel like Im goin that much faster...

I do know the front feels better... it is a bit firmer, feels more planted, and has lost the warble I felt sometimes when I was really pushing it.. logic dictates that I'm moving more rapidly because of those three things... hence, the increased tire wear.

That's what everyone keeps tellin me... although I don't really feel like Im goin that much faster...

I do know the front feels better... it is a bit firmer, feels more planted, and has lost the warble I felt sometimes when I was really pushing it.. logic dictates that I'm moving more rapidly because of those three things... hence, the increased tire wear.

Just get yourself some BT003's and accept the fact that they will need changing every 1000 miles. They will be cheaper than the 016's, and more sticky. That Oregon chip seal is going to chew up any tire you throw on your bike. :laugh:

Smoother = Faster

Ah...the 16's have more grip than I can use.. they're right at 270/set. I'm hoping I can coax 2300 miles out of 'em...

'Cause I'm gonna slow down...

Food for thought:

The faster you go the more grip is required during all aspects of the ride.
The more grip required equals shorter tire life.
Big heavy bikes with big HP are extremely hard on tires especially at a fast pace.
You aren't the first person I have heard complain about tire costs when they realize just how expensive it is to go fast.
If you want to play hard and make your tires last longer, buy yourself an SV650 and loose a hundred pounds of body weight. Becoming a midget on an SV650, you can still ride as fast as you can, have just as much fun and have a pile of left over tire money in your pocket at the end of the season. Of course a midget can't pack very much money around but you get the idea :poke:

Going fast has always been expensive and not likely to change unless one hits the lottery? Then everything becomes inexpensive! :laugh:

Back