This is my first  2000 model

major

Registered
whats up Busa World

in about 1 mouth i will have the money to go pick up my first street bike ever.  I know to respect the bike, because this is not just a bike, but a monster.  

i need to know the does and the don't.  pros and cons.  advice from Busaholics would be  helpful.

peaceout
Dirtysouth

Look up the previous answers on this site to the several questions on the Busa being a first bike.  No one here can give you legitimate advice without knowing more about your riding experience, age, and riding interests.  In general the answer is NO WAY should  the Busa be considered a first bike.  There are a few exceptions however.  Your question hints that you may have been riding off road.  If, for instance, you have 20 years experience and a room full of trophies for off road riding, you might be the exception.

I'd been off bikes for 4 years then bought a busa. If you've bought new the break in period in which you should keep the rpm below 5000 should give you enough time to get used to the beast. Just respect the throttle is all and you will be fine.

I'm still yet to pin the throttle in 1st gear, have done it in 2nd a few times but i'm still being nice to it so it bees nice to me till i get more exp.

Viking

ernaehrung019.gif
I agree with Supersport,, there are exceptions, but if this is your first bike ever..................OUR Father who art in heaven Halo be thy name.............Yey as he walks through the shadow of death shall he fear no evil...........Amen.

:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

DO'S & DON'T'S FOR THE FIRST TIME BUSA RIDER

1. Do not pick your nose while riding over 150mph in 4th gear
2. Do not ride with a passenger for at least 6 month
3. Do not replace morrors with small neat looking mirrors.
4. Do not do any power modifications for a least a year.
5. Do not snap the trottle, you will be up in the air or on your back.
6.Yes use your brakes evenly.
7. Do not do stoppies.
8. Do not ride with out leathers and a helmet.
9. Do not exceed 100 miles per hour for the first 3 months
10. Do not exceed 140 mph before 6 months
11. 160mph after one year
12. 180 mph after 2 years
13. Over 200mph never. But you will try. Do not try until 3 years of riding experience at least.
14. Do not ever ever thing that you can not get hurt.

aktion035.gif
:whip:
that's just a start.

Good job Ninja Eater!! I only take exception to #2 and #5 - if you are used to carrying passengers, do it. The Busa is just another bike in that regard. I assume you are referring to the urge to show off to your passenger what it can do - then you are totally right. As far as #5 - that must be at higher rpm? - I snap mine all the time (probably haven't done it much above 6k rpm), with no ill effects, other than picking up speed. Very good list, though (thoroughly enjoyed #1)!
ernaehrung019.gif

bwilken ,
Yes not a good idea to show off at 170 with a passenger or doing a wheelie with them on at 60mph. You will find even as a good rider that a passenger on the Busa is a little different

Oh yes you will find that it will come up very easy with a snap of the throttle. You will find as you ride that you have not been snapping in reality (which is good) you have been hesitating.

And one more to boot
15. Make sure your visor is locked down over 150mph

This was my first bike I had it since January.. The DO's: Take your time... Take the safety course..And always remember you control the bike don't let the bike control you..be in control of your right hand. Don'ts: don't let anyone talk you out of this bike...you already now you got the big dog so you don't have to prove it.
yinyang.gif
biggrin.gif

What ever happened to starting out on a 50cc, 250cc, or even a 450cc. Hell we toured for weeks at a time on a 44 hp 450cc. Last year I got back into Bikes with a 1000cc 108hp Connie. After a 20 year leave ( got a real bad feeling on a ride, turned around and sold it ). 20 Years ago a 750 Honda with 67 hp was great. The 108 hp Connie was very POWERFUL last year, but talk about top heavy and the buzz. Now with the Busa, what can I say - Restrain at best. Your first bike, lots of Ruck Bucko...

Hey Ninja Eater -

I'm still not buying into your snapping the throttle thing; HOWEVER, it may have something to do with the fact that I'm one of them, what you'd call 'larger' riders!! Not really a big fat pig, although I fee like one at 235 compared to the days around 210! I guess me being in the forward position that the Busa dictates sort of puts more weight on the front end. AND, of course, I don't want to pull it up accidentally too far . . .
lookaround.gif
Last but not least (subliminal maybe??!!), I did a power shift on my Seca Turbo once with wife on back (wife being 8 months pregnant), and boy, that front end came right straight up in the air! Really weird too, because it never wanted to go over, just went IMMEDIATELY up to its apex (at which point I shut it down!!!). Anyway, I saw a guy pull out from a stoplight in Littleton, CO on a GXSR (750 maybe?), and he did this great, controlled wheelie, about 2' off the ground, through the first three gears - never wavered or anything. I'm thinking "boy, I'd like to be able to do that". :hammerhead:

:hammerhead:
You guys must all be crazy first of all have you seen a GSXR 600 they will kill you just as quick as a Busa I started out on a 450 Nighthawk and wasted my money for many years till I bought my 2000 Busa 600 FZ 750 GSXR 1100 GSXR most of which had to be given away by the time I was done 62000 miles on my 89 GSXR 1100 its the same with any bike you buy it only goes as fast as you let it ride well within your limits do not try to let your freinds influence the way you ride riding out back will sometimes give you enough time to adjust for a problem the one piece of advice I will give is always keep your right hand so that if the bike dopes come up you dont twist the throttle more I have noticed on small hils when excelerating it will power wheelie over the top of the hill if you cant roll off the throttle you will get hurt Oh yah and the most important thing to all riders watch out for everbody else my only wreck an old guy hit me from behind

More advice for a new rider...

1) Learn that to turn right, you need to turn the handlebars to the LEFT (and vice-versa)! In panic situations, cyclists often steer toward the very thing they would like to avoid because they tend to revert to their car instincts of steering away from the situation.

2) Know your riding capabilities and ride within them.

3) Never split (weave) thru traffic. It's just plain wrong.

4) Realize that speed differentials between vehicles create dangerous situations.

5) Become comfortable with the use of your front brake. In a safe place while going straight, see how much pressure it takes to lock the front wheel (but do let go as soon as it locks).

6) Know that your bike is gyroscopic in that the faster its wheels spin, the harder it will be to turn.

7) Know that heavy braking needs to be accomplished before you attack a turn.

8) Before entering an intersection, sit up straighter, lift your head slightly, and cover your brakes. Sitting up/lifting your head may get you extra attention due to the fact you've moved. This extra attention reduces other driver's tendency to inadvertaently cut you off. Covering your brakes gets you ready to deal with those who still aren't ready for you.

9) Know that car drivers are more inclined to pull out in front of a cyclist going 50 mph than a truck going 40 mph. They tend to interpret your smaller size as if you are either going more slowly or farther away. Either way, it's unfortunate for you, the cyclist. Nevertheless, expect this behavior.

10) Know that the codger driving the '72 Gremlin in front of you knows not the ferociousness with which your 'Busa can pass him. Expect him to change lanes (with no directional) just as you are about to blow past him. Good measure, assume he doesn't have any mirrors.

11) Assume drivers in front of your do not see you in their mirrors. (How can you expect anyone to see you in their mirrors if they don't use them in the first place?)

12) Never ever change lanes without verifying your next lane is clear. Either glance quickly to the side, or lean forward toward the appropriate mirror so you get a better view of your blind spot.

13) Know that the road is most slick when it first begins to rain. While there is enough water to make the road slick, there is not enough to cleansing effect. Be especially wary of that oily strip down the middle.

14) Going fast on a straight road is relatively easy, but unless you know there is no access to your lane via crossroads, turnarounds, entrance ramps, etc... it is still unsafe.

15) Know that your braking distances increase with the square of your speed. If you can stop from 30 mph in 30 feet, stopping from 60 mph will take 120 feet. Since 60 mph is twice as fast as 30 mph, the theoretical braking distance becomes: 30 feet x [(60/30) squared]. By extension, the braking distance from 180 mph becomes 1,080 feet (about 2 tenths of a mile). In practice, your stopping distances from these higher speeds will be higher because your brakes lose their ability to dissipate heat (becoming less effective) and because you'll be reluctant to fully apply your brakes at these speeds.

wink.gif

sleepy.gif

Major,
You are about to purchase an extremely fast, quick stopping, great handling motorcycle.  Be careful!  Drive slower until you get the feel of the bike.  I had a GSXR 750 (93) and put 73,000 miles on it.  My new 'Busa is light years quicker, and handles the same or better.  A few tidbits of advice,
1. Split the lane when the traffic is bumper to bumper and don't go too fast CA is 5 mph over traffic speed.  i.e. cars doing 35, you can go 40.  If you split the lane when there are gaps between cars, you may get cut off or side swiped.  If you stay in traffic your chances are better to get rear-ended because you will stop faster than the car behind you.  Speaking of that, anytime you are stopping fast, glance in the mirrors to see if the car behind you is coming too fast.  I almost got hit that way. I split between the cars and was saved.  Now I split the lane all the time.  When it is safe to do so.  Studies have shown that it is SAFER to split the lane.  
2. Don't blow past cars at all.  They don't see you and may change lanes right into you.  Cars driving at night must think that I'm in their lane and they change into my lane thinking they're getting out of the way. Go slower past the cars until you are past them.
3. The 'Busa has a ton of torque so be especially careful accelerating out of wet corners, the rear wheel will get out from under you.    
4.  Wheelies are ok if you like that kind of stuff.  The sound of a cash register cha-chinging in my ears if I fall stops me.
5. Find a twisty road and take it easy for the first few trips and get used to how it handles, brakes, acclerates.  The bike will lean farther than you think so before you go off into the gravel, lean it, you'll make it.  I have gotten to the point that I couldn't get my foot out from under the shifter because I was scraping the ground.  That's far enough for me.

I started out on a CBR 600. I rode it for about two years and put over thirty thousand miles on it. Almost all highway. I was what I thought was comfortable and wanted a new one. So I bought the Busa. I got it in Nov. and hit a tree in March.
Here are the mistakes I made in just one night.
Mistake 1: Went riding with friends that had been on bikes a lot longer than me. ( Not necessarily a bad thing if everyone knows how everyone else rides. Take it slow the first time out as you will see why below)
Mistake 2: I followed them down the road (at night) that they take every night and I have only taken maybe once or twice.
Mistake 3: After falling behind in the first two corners I used the power of the Busa to catch them in the straight away. Which I did right at the enterance to the third corner that I didn't know exsisted.
Mistake 4: I PANICKED!!!!!!! I only used the rear brake and locked it up. I started to skid and the bike started to come out from under me. So I just got off of the brakes and held on for the ride. I missed the guard rail but not the tree.
A bad habit I had was only using the rear brake. So when I had to slow down fast I couldn't. I now use the front brake also. My comfort level was high but it was for only going straight so I found out the hard way.
Another bad habit is that I push the bike away from me in turns insted of leaning with it. Fine if you only take wide turns but if you try tight turns you will run out of road and wind up in the dirt. I am trying to stop doing that and lean more.
Specific enough for you?
My mistakes cost me (or should I say the insurance company) big. $4600 for the bike to get fixed and over $50,000 for me. When I hit the tree I broke my leg in four places. lucky I guess it could have been a lot worse.
I missed three months of work. I wasn't able to walk without crutches for four months. I didn't ride for six months( should have been atleast nine but I had to do it.) And now that a year has past I have finally lost my limp but still don't have all the strength back in my leg.

bwilken,

Big or not if you snap it will go up. If not that is a good thing don't try harder. I have seen 2 Busas go all the way over and fall, not good.

Stay safe.

i only use the front brake, and let the engine take care of the back end, if i need a lil extra woah then i'll bring in the back, but it locks up far too easily, so i try not to

this'll be hard to get used to if ur a dirtbike rider, i'll never forget the first time i let my bro ride my katana, he left a 300ft black mark and a huge flat spot on my back tire as he slid past my house... i cringed
nervous.gif

Are you an idiot or what?
withstupid.gif

No lets think about this one for just a second...
Firstly- Bugger all road /bike skills
Second - you buy a busa which has the most amazing low down /mid range power in which case you are going to learn all the little things about bikes which are damned dangerous
bikes are a lot less forgiving thatn & car.
I love both but i have learnt the hard & smart way about bikes.
a low HP bike can get you in trouble too no doubt but a busa will get you there faster and as forgiving and amazing they are to ride...as a novice rider you wont know the signs / indications that arise on the road telling you that you are in the deep ####
A BUSA IS NOT A LEARNERS BIKE
Get yourself a 250 or at best a 600 and learn to ride & how different a bike is compared to a car
No way should you be learning to do this on a busa
bikes are fast and anybody can handle speed in a straight line a GSXR600 is a really top performing bike that handles sooo damn well has plenty of speed good power I can get good wheelies happening from 2nd to 4th gear 190KpH is the most forgiving and stable bike I have ridden in a long time ( fitted a 750 into it cause I had one available & did a 10.9 on the 1/4 mile...they will give alot of big bore bikes a run honstly) to drop one would mean unless something else came into it,,,you would really have to be going hard at doing it all wrong....put heaps of power down low to a novice rider a good looking corner that is not so damn good and a wrong move and a bad reation and ...well mate you just got yourself an early grave
honestly mate you either have some damn good off road skills or a really bad sence of self preservation ...the dealer needs a kick in the ass for selling you one too i reckon
Do yourself & your family a favour & the rest of the biking community and dont get it.
As much as I love My Busa there would have been no way in hell it was ever gonna be my first bike.
If you have already got posession of it
#1 Sell it
#2 if #1 isnt in your mental capacity DONT RIDE IT
#3 if 1 & 2 is in your vocabulary dont take it over 3000 rpm outta gear and 2000 in any gear at all

The bike here isnt the problem its the rider but hey
Enjoy your life
wow.gif
:hammerhead:
ernaehrung004.gif

Back