Thinking of buying boat

monti

Registered
Thinking of buying a boat. Wanted to know what you guys recommend for a lake boat to go out with the wife and kids and have fun. Will more than likely buy a used boat as there are some nice lakes out here and people are always trading in or selling.

My idea of fun and your idea of fun might be different. What kinda fun you plannin to do?

Depends on what kind of boating you want to do .. I have a 205 Sundowner Fourwins cuddy cabin .. Love it Can pull 4 skiers or tubes ..Have a camper canvas package that comes with it.. You can cruise around all day and sleep on it at night not to big not to small..Can put 8 people in it comfortably ..Now that kids are getting grown and gone thinking about trading it for a full out ski boat or jet boat..

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142525199 -->

593910_1.jpg

Best advice when buying a boat that I have ever heard? DON'T Nothing else drains wallets faster from what I hear.

smile.gif
That's the advice I got from a buddy back in the day and after living in Florida and being surrounded by friends with boats from 26' to 51' or so I think, I have learned that it's a pretty true sentiment. IF you really REALLY want a boat and your a boat kinda guy/family? then they make sense, but casual boat ownership is called a Waverunner.
wink.gif

But that's just my opinion man,
laugh.gif

Best advice when buying a boat that I have ever heard?  DON'T  Nothing else drains wallets faster from what I hear.

smile.gif
 That's the advice I got from a buddy back in the day and after living in Florida and being surrounded by friends with boats from 26' to 51' or so I think, I have learned that it's a pretty true sentiment.  IF you really REALLY want a boat and your a boat kinda guy/family?  then they make sense, but casual boat ownership is called a Waverunner.
wink.gif

laugh.gif
Another saying the 2 happiest days in a boat owners life is the day you buy it and the day you sell it..

Speaking from a woman's prospestive.....get one with a potty!
If you do make sure it is a porta potty do not use the waste tank on the boat ask many a boaters once the smell is in the lines and tank you can never get it out.. My advice for that is to know the lake there is always bathhouses and outhouses all around any good lake..

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142527781 -->

a boat is a hole in the water in which to throw money in.

I almost bought a boat for like 190,000 bucks,bought a house instead.

The boat would have been cool though.

I agree with someone above, big $$$$ pit. However, not as bad as an airplane (owned one of those for about 5 years--big $$$ to keep legal).

I agree with someone above, big $$$$ pit.  However, not as bad as an airplane (owned one of those for about 5 years--big $$$ to keep legal).
I hate to do it but i disagree I have put more money in my busa then ever in my boat..Its all in what you want.. Boating is nice and relaxing If you use it .. If not it collects dust like mine has for the last year

The two biggest things to know when looking at used boats

1. STAY AWAY FROM OMC OUTDRIVES!!!!
Typicaly found on older bayliners. OMC went out of buisness a few years back and any amount of work or service can get pricey. Additionaly if you get an outboard I would stay away from force motors. Kinda under powered and if you get one with problems you will always have problems.

2. Spend the 100 bucks or whatever to get a used boat inspection from a surveyer.
Exspecialy handy if you don't know that much about the mechanics of boats. They will check hull strength and mechanical function. Basicaly give a thumbs up or down on condition and a general price you would expect to pay. Also remember that boats times are measured in hours not miles. pending on how much you want to spend is going to be how big and how old you get. But if youcan find anything under 200 hours at the price you want and a surveyergives a clean bill on the hull then your good to go.
Used is the only way to go when buying a boat. If you buy new your probably going to regret it. Boat depretation is worse than cars, and only get harder to sell the bigger you get and the more expensive gas gets. As long as you stay to trailerable boats 26 feet and under than you should not ever have a huge problem reselling. Once your over 26 feet it might take a year or 2 depending on how much you are asking and your market area.
If you have any questions on any one particular brand I would be more than happy to write you another novel for a response, and hopefully answer any of your questions.

The two biggest things to know when looking at used boats  

1. STAY AWAY FROM OMC OUTDRIVES!!!!
Typicaly found on older bayliners. OMC went out of buisness a few years back and any amount of work or service can get pricey. Additionaly if you get an outboard I would stay away from force motors. Kinda under powered and if you get one with problems you will always have problems.

2. Spend the 100 bucks or whatever to get a used boat inspection from a surveyer.
Exspecialy handy if you don't know that much about the mechanics of boats. They will check hull strength and mechanical function. Basicaly give a thumbs up or down on condition and a general price you would expect to pay. Also remember that boats times are measured in hours not miles. pending on how much you want to spend is going to be how big and how old you get. But if youcan find anything under 200 hours at the price you want and a surveyergives a clean bill on the hull then your good to go.
      Used is the only way to go when buying a boat. If you buy new your probably going to regret it. Boat depretation is worse than cars, and only get harder to sell the bigger you get and the more expensive gas gets. As long as you stay to trailerable boats 26 feet and under than you should not ever have a huge problem reselling. Once your over 26 feet it might take a year or 2 depending on how much you are asking and your market area.
     If you have any questions on any one particular brand I would be more than happy to write you another novel for a response, and hopefully answer any of your questions.
now THATS good lookin' out

Speaking from a woman's prospestive.....get one with a potty!
If you do make sure it is a porta potty do not use the waste tank on the boat ask many a boaters once the smell is in the lines and tank you can never get it out.. My advice for that is to know the lake there is always bathhouses and outhouses all around any good lake..
+1 Sorry ladies. Your'e just gonna have to hold it till we get to the dock. Otherwise get a milk jug or something similar and cut a hole. $ pit? Depends on what you get. Buy something in haste and probably a $ pit. I have spent more on the boat than on the Busa, but give me some time. Had the boat for 9 yrs and only 2 on the Bus

I have a full head and nobody craps in it.
Use the 5 gallon pail.......
2002 Maxum 2400 suncruiser I will sell it for the right price.
Bought her brand spanking new.
DSC0002229.jpg

Owning a boat was ton of fun but a major pain in da a$$! The maintance, the money, the drinking buddies, the launching, the cleaning, the storing, the towing head aches, the trailer maintance, the water cops, the other fool boaters...but start simple w/ a inboard 135 hp at least & a 17 footer runabout w/ an open bow is a great start! If it doesnt work out 4 ya just sell it. Good luck!

Monti....pm me if you want...i've got 15 years in the biz, and I'll give you the straight skinny on any questions you have.

Tim

Best boat advice - MAKE A FRIEND WITH SOMEONE THAT HAS 1
smile.gif

Best advice when buying a boat that I have ever heard?  DON'T  Nothing else drains wallets faster from what I hear.

smile.gif
 That's the advice I got from a buddy back in the day and after living in Florida and being surrounded by friends with boats from 26' to 51' or so I think, I have learned that it's a pretty true sentiment.  IF you really REALLY want a boat and your a boat kinda guy/family?  then they make sense, but casual boat ownership is called a Waverunner.
wink.gif

laugh.gif
I am with Revils on this one. They can be SERIOUS money pits.
crazy.gif

Back