Sail Boats??

Excursion05

Registered
I know we have pilots here at the .Org, any boaters? Particularly any sail boat captains? I'm about 30 minutes from the ocean and can't get the idea of sailing out of my head. The local college has a weekend sailing course that I plan to take in the spring.

Just wondering the pros and cons of the sport. I've heard that the two happiest days of your life are the day you buy your boat, and the day you sell it...

Lived in a 45' Ketch for a few years many moons ago. Sailing is nice, but a lot of work! I am more of a 10 meter Fountain kinda guy! Cost money to go fast, but fuckit, that's why we work!
Troy

Thanks for the feedback. I have trouble relaxing and can't decide if sailing would help me slow down and chill or just frustrate me because everything moves so slow.

A boat is a giant hole in the water that you throw your money into.

With a sailboat you have additional costs even when not using it. Consider the cost of rent for the slip/berth.

Each time we would go to West Marine we spent several "WestMarine dollars". One WM dollar = $20 USD.

That said, I miss my sailboat.

A boat is a giant hole in the water that you throw your money into.

With a sailboat you have additional costs even when not using it. Consider the cost of rent for the slip/berth.

Each time we would go to West Marine we spent several "WestMarine dollars". One WM dollar = $20 USD.

That said, I miss my sailboat.

I have owned a few of both. Blow boats are waaaaaay cheaper to own and operate by far. A small sailboat u can trailer, just as a right sized powerboat needs a slip! Evrything is pricier with a motor... Initial purchase price, monthly/yearly maintenance, cost to run for a day, insurance. In fact, the only thing that I can think of that might be cheaper with a sailboat are the sails!

As far as wondering if it will force u to relax. Nope. It is relaxing swinging at the hook, but all that is involved to get u there is a bit much imho. Some really love it though, and that is great. I am just way too type A for that.
Maybe try a small Sunfish or Hobe and take some lessons to see if it is for u or not.
I find motorcycling relaxing, even though I really should keep my head in the game while riding. After that, camping, fishing, and working on old cars really does it for me.
Good luck.
Troy

Thanks Troy!

I plan on taking some lessons this spring. I'm looking for something that I can enjoy with the whole family. My wife used to have a bike and ride with me but she sold it several years ago. We adopted our grandchildren (8 and 7 now) and she hasn't been interested in riding since we started taking care of them.

Another thought has been to get dirt bikes or 4 wheelers and explore some of the California SVRA land.

Who knows what will work out.

Lived in a 45' Ketch for a few years many moons ago .

Sailing is nice, but a lot of work !

I am more of a 10 meter
Fountain kinda guy !

Cost money to go fast,
but good time it,
that is why we work !

Troy

Troy, after you spend some time with your fifth wheel ~ let us know how it compares to living on a ship at sea *

Lol! After just one weekend I can already tell u that it is a huge improvement from the boat! Granted, I didnt have a troller or some big Hatteris or Trojan, just a ketch. Loved being on the water for sure, but this rv is way bigger and more room.
Troy

Thanks Troy !

I am looking for something that
I can enjoy with the whole family .

My wife used to have a bike
and ride with me but she
sold it several years ago .

We adopted our grandchildren
( 8 and 7 now ) and she has not
been interested in riding since
we started taking care of them .

Another thought has been to get dirt bikes
or 4 wheelers and explore some of
the California SVRA land .

Who knows what will work out .

Had a 32' sailboat,34' powerboat,41' powerboat(lived aboard for a year in San Rafael,CA),couple of jet boats,Bayrunner Baja,etc.Slip rents in Newport Beach(CA)are ridiculous,a guy I know has a 41' Hatteras paying $2300 per month,along with another $500 per month for his 12' inflatable.Have been hull cleaning there for 16 years,I'm pretty much over boats...and water.:laugh:

Back