Things really are bad....

BrianKesler

Registered
Last night at work, i was called to a suspicious vehicle in a closed park. I didnt think much of it, usually its teenagers taking their trucks out playing in the dirt and mud, no big deal.

When i arrived, i found a nice F250 Powerstroke, little lift on it, and nice rims, just sitting blacked out in a field. Now, im thinkin there is probably a teenage guy and girl having a little fun, and im about to be the a-hole and screw it up.

As i approach the truck, i notice there is only 1 occupant, an midddle aged guy who appeared to be upset. As he climbed out of his truck, he began to tell me that he didnt know what to do. He explained to me that he had been layed off from the job he has had for the past 20 years, and now cant find work anywhere. He went on to explain how he is about to lose his truck and his home. He also told me that he has 2 children, and he does not even have the money to buy them groceries.

The man told me how he has had a job since he was 16 years old, how he was a hard worker, and he prided himself on that, and now look where he is. As im standing there listening, the man began to cry. He explained how he has sent his resume out to over 100 different companies, from Florida to Maine. He told me how his electric bill was due in a few days, and he didnt know where the money was going to come from to cover it. He explained that his mom and dad were both dead, so he could not ask them for help. He told me how he applied for several government programs, but has gotten no response. He told me how he has gone without his heart medication so that his kids could have food on the table.

Long story short (kinda), i followed the man home and called him a counsler. The man was very appreciative of my time, and thanked me. You could tell he was honestly a good guy. He had a nice home, a nice truck and you could see that he worked hard for them.

The entire time i stood there listening to him, i couldnt help but to think, that could be any one of us, at any time. I know i ***** and moan sometimes about my job, more about some of the people actually, but i need to appreciate the fact that i have a job.

Ive heard other people say they cant find a job, and how bad things are right now financially, but standing there with a grown man while he cries because he feels that he cannot support his family anymore was the hardest thing ive had to do in a while. I felt completely helpless, there was nothing i could do to help with his situation. I guess the point im getting at, is those of us who are lucky enough to still have a job, should be thankful. Everyone has good days and bad, but at least at the end of the week, we still have a paycheck coming in.

Im not the most religious guy in the world, but the guy last night was talking about how God has always provided for him, and he's always had faith. He told me how his faith is running out, and he's honestly scared. He doesnt want to burden the people at his church and ask for money, and he said God hasnt put it in his heart to go ask for it.

Anyway, this situation really made me take a step back and be thankful for what i have. It has also shown me that i need to stop whining and complaining about the meaningless things that i want, but dont have. There are a lot of people out there who are worse off than me, and i think we all tend to forget that. This has taught me to be happy and thankful for what i have, and not dwell on the things that i dont.

Thanks for helping that man out. :bowdown:

You are right, we should be appreciative of still having a job. I catch myself complaining about my job in silence and this post helped me to realize how foolish that is.

Last edited:
Been at my gov job for 14 years and I cringe cause I know cuts are coming so I started saving 2 years ago... Its gonna get rough with so much money flowing out that cuts will have to be made somewhere... A travel trailer, truck and bikes and hit the road!!!

That is tough. Times are def. tough for alot of us right now. That was very nice of you to show compation on him like that and go the extra mi. for a fellow man. If there were more people like you out there this would be a better place for all of us.

Been at my gov job for 14 years and I cringe cause I know cuts are coming so I started saving 2 years ago... Its gonna get rough with so much money flowing out that cuts will have to be made somewhere... A travel trailer, truck and bikes and hit the road!!!

I'm in the same boat, been with Bestbuy for 8 years and as you all know the economy aint booming right now, good looking out for someone else if its only just to listen to them, you probaly helped him more than you know.

You did a good thing bro! Times are indeed tough for a lot of folks. Only time will tell if the current administration can get anything done.

P.

Good job, I'm sure the memo is out but you need to be safe out there, things are getting stressful, lots of people pushed to their limits right now.

Long story short (kinda), i followed the man home and called him a counsler. The man was very appreciative of my time, and thanked me. You could tell he was honestly a good guy. He had a nice home, a nice truck and you could see that he worked hard for them.

You said that you felt helpless for not being able to help his situation....but you did help him. You followed him home and called him a couselor. That is MORE than some people would do.

That to me deserves :bowdown: and :beerchug: and:thumbsup: to you. That man needed someone and YOU were there. However little you feel it may have been.

Thank you for being a good listener and making sure he got home safe. God was truly using you that night to comfort this man. I will say a prayer for him and his family. Stay safe.

You are an awesome person, Brian. Obviously, you saw that there was a person you could reach out to and 'go the extra mile'. It IS that extra effort that defines you over others that would simply wave him off as a whiner and push out into the streets just to get on with their beat. I commend you and the service you provide.

This is an extremely tough time and those that have locked down salaries are definitely a rarity. I have myself have thrown out hundred's of résumé's at different categories of skills that I have developed over the years,, and when you think that you may have a chance at a job,, one job,, there are hundreds of others that are hitting that same position at the same time as you are! There was a 'meter reader' position that had come up here in the lower Seattle area,, ONE SPOT! OVER 1600 people applied!

I am not suicidal, nor do I ever think of taking my life, no matter how hard it may seem. I am going through a tough time,, and I don't think I am completely out of it. Tomorrow I say goodbye to a long friend, ,my Porsche turbo,, but it IS just a material item and I will not hang on to a large boulder just to try and swim!

It is strange recently when I go into a store to buy food,,, suddenly,, it is not whether I want it or not,, it is whether I can afford it.

And still, each morning when I wake,, I thank God for my every breath and those that care that are around me. I wish I could help this guy, Brian,, I really do.

Would you have any way to send the guy in the truck something if I could?

Last edited:
Nice to see the Guy with the LED Crown vic just took the time to listen and help, sometimes a friend for an hour is all someone who is feelin down needs. Great Job

You said that you felt helpless for not being able to help his situation....but you did help him. You followed him home and called him a couselor. That is MORE than some people would do.

That to me deserves :bowdown: and :beerchug: and:thumbsup: to you. That man needed someone and YOU were there. However little you feel it may have been.

Job well done. Sometimes people just want to talk and know someone is listening.

Yeah, well done Brian. I had an officer pull me over when I was in my early 20s. I went ripping by him on my GSXR750 in town at probably about 75 in a 35 zone. I had a brutal argument with my ex-fiance and was just all messed up.

When I saw the lights behind me I was just like "great, one more thing."

Funniest part was I shut off the bike, and just ass I shut it off he (5'4" Blond Cop) was just about at the bike in a raised voice shouting out my offenses. 75 in a 35 careless driving (front wheel was in the air a little) and was over all NOT pleased with my behavior.

Well as I pulled off my helmet all the young guy angst, frustration, and worry all came to the surface and I just lost it. Burst into tears as I stepped off the bike. Well this poor guy just didn't know how to react. Was kinda funny really, I am sure that this isn't what he expected. 6'1" guy with long hair and a tough guy beard just pulling his helmet off and crying like a little kid.

He actually stepped back a few steps. Had to be a pretty funny scene really. He asked me what the problem was and I explained through sobs what my situation was. New semester starting, fight with the fiance' etc...

He was awesome. Had me step over to the curb and have a seat. Even said go ahead when I asked if I could light a cigarette. So there I was sitting all pathetic on the side of the road and the Officer steps outta his car bringing me my license back. He asked if I was thinking about hurting myself, and I said NO I'm fine.

He replied with "Go ahead and just relax right here, take as much time as you need to compose yourself, have another cigarette, I've got a lot of paperwork to catch up on and I'll just sit right there (motioning to his cruiser) until your ready to go."

Was just really unexpected and appreciated. I sat there through a another smoke got myself together and got back on the bike.

He didn't give me a ticket, he was genuinely compassionate, and that was completely unexpected and exactly what I needed. Helped me out and may have prevented me from riding angry for too much longer and making a mistake there.

SO good on ya, sounds like you were able to help someone who really felt helpless. :thumbsup:

I wish I had something to say that hasn't already.

Yes, it's tough out there.

It is bad and I'm glad to hear there are still good people out there. You probably helped out more than you will every know!

Great job Brian.

What is scary is wondering if he will be able to continue getting help? If he can't pay his electric bill how will he pay for a doctor? Yet we give billions to banker so they can stuff their pockets and we don't want to support programs that would help because we are afraid that someone will take advantage of the handout. Why should this guy have to choose between getting the help he needs and paying his electric bill?

I am not trying to turn this into a political rant because I think things have gone beyond that. Everyday people just like all of us are finding themselves in a world of hurt. I think we are better than that as a country.

Instead of ranting about the millions wanting something for nothing think about this guy and the others like him than need help where none is available.

Back