The new ride...  figured I would share a little.

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
I don't think I ever posted up what I decided to get, think i spaced it...

Well, after a lOooooOoong Test drive process, that included:

-Audi tt
-BMW330 ci
-BMW Z4
-Mustang GT
-Nissan 350Z
-Honda S2000
-Infiniti G35 Coupe
-Subaru WRX Sti
-Volkswagon GTI

I made a decision that even surprised me.  I test drove it 4 TIMES, FOUR X...  I hadn't even really considered it an option until seeing a used one at a dealership.

So Yeah I Got me a new Mazda RX-8.  Yeah, Rotary Power!  Who'd have guessed it?  Raiderdm got his when they were brand new and I remember then thinking "Hmmm, that's pretty cool" but I hadn't thought of it since then.  I fully expected and planned on buying the G35 Coupe.  I love Infiniti, and I like the VQ motor so it seemed like the perfect fit. Guess Not.

The RX was chosen over every car above for a few simple reasons.

1. FUN, the RX isn't the fastest, but it was by far the most entertaining, most involving car I drove.  Just put a silly grin on my face the others didn't.

2. Road feel, Ride Quality and Handling, this figures into the fun yeah, but it has an amazing "Go where you want it" FEEL that was only topped by the Z4, just a little, but the RX rode so much nicer that it won out.

3. Unique, and *Gasp* Practical.  The rotary engine is what it's all about.  It's design allows the rest of the car to be that much better, perfect 50/50 balance, vibration free operation, Low Polar moment, and lightweight.  Combine this with Mazda's suicide doors and genuine seating for four and there is nothing else like it out there that is still a true sports car.

4. Lastly, quality.  Quality ride, quality interior materials, low noise levels, and over all fit and finish.

It is a true sports car too, not a pimped up Econobox, not a GT, but a fresh piece of paper Sports Car from folks who understand what that means, and that it is supposed to be FUN first and foremost.  Not Tough, Not Mean Looking, Not "Billy Badass" and his Turbo Crew, just fun and fast.

Anyway, first car of mine in 12 years and I am about as giddy as I was when I first got the Busa.  Been out driving and having fun...

So without delay...  The Pics.

I've Named her "Rini".   Ready to laugh?  Rini is Japanese for "Little Bunny".   OK Why such a "SOFT" name?  Because the RX just isn't a tough guy car and when your driving it it's just so fun, so willing to go, and in general just happy if you will.  So nimble, happy, quick, and entertaining?  "Little Bunny"
RX8-3-29-1875copy-full.jpg

IMG_1957-sml-crop-full.jpg

IMG_1968-sml-full.jpg

Cool Blue front lit guages at night, bright white during the day.
IMG_1883copy-full.jpg

Tail lights
IMG_1919copy-full.jpg

IMG_1931SML-full.jpg

02260017c-full.jpg

IMG_1887copy-full.jpg

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146008054 -->

Ok a few more, I'll make google suffer a bit.
It's great in the rain, Traction control, and Stability control if you want, or turn off all the electronic aids and it's drift city.
IMG_1972-sml-full.jpg

Here's a shot from a Recent get together. Mine is on the left, kinda like double vision heh...

wargd3_copy.jpg

we met up for lunch at the mall near my place... Then took a drive for some photo ops.

warjv5_copy.jpg

Here's another shot, My RX is the one on the far left...

parkingroadside2_copy.jpg

I got plans to add this exhaust soon. Racing Beat...

warj36_copy.jpg

I was actually going to buy a Harley, Had it all planned out.  But I got this instead, it's the most Bike Like car I've ever been in.  Anyway, Just thought I'd share,  I don't think I ever posted up officially and went on and on about my shiny new crap.  
biggrin.gif
  Love ya

Rev

Want to see more? Click-> Revs RX-8 Pics and Links

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146007714 -->

Very cool, bro...I'm diggin it. Looks like the weather's been treatin you guys really well, too.
thumbs-up.gif

Wifey enjoys it just as much as you, I presume? Please tell her that big 'ol island bastid sez hello.
biggrin.gif

and good god, man...the first two pics are gi-normous. I think you broke the board's auto-fit feature.
laugh.gif

Hmmm Good point... I should post a warning...

Thanks Pac.

Yeah the wife loves it, it's a rush.

SWEET RIDE!!! Don't see many of them in my neck-of-the-woods. I always loved those engines.

I'm surprised you bought that one Keith. When you took me for a blast in it,I felt a little cramped,sorta like a sardine stuffed in a can. You and me are about the same height so I was surprised you chose it. Handled like it was on rails thou,nice get-up-and-go aswell. It already sounds pretty cool,so after you stick on that giant can it should sound wicked.

nice ride...Rubb.

Nice ride. My neighbor has one of those and they look even better in person.

I'm surprised you bought that one Keith. When you took me for a blast in it,I felt a little cramped,sorta like a sardine stuffed in a can. You and me are about the same height so I was surprised you chose it. Handled like it was on rails thou,nice get-up-and-go aswell. It already sounds pretty cool,so after you stick on that giant can it should sound wicked.

nice ride...Rubb.
Funny you should mention that, THAT is the one Negative I am working on solving. I spoke to Mazda about ordering me a new 2006 in Phantom Blue with the Leather and Stuff but without the moonroof. BUT, they said NO. Leather and Bose means you get a Moonroof. I found that out just today, so while I love the RX it may be short term simply because I am bit too big.

But with the seat reclined a few degrees I fit pretty well it's just that I have NO clearance, it's not my ideal driving position and my head is just about touching the roof if I sit up straight.

Now you had your tall wife behind you and the seat reclined up a bit so yeah Bro you looked REAL tight up front no doubt. But like ya said Sardines Bro... I mean it fit's me good, REAL good like a Sneaker. But I am thinking I might be more of a Loafer Kind of guy. We'll see, I am not done nagging Mazda just yet and I do enjoy the car a lot, it allways makes me smile and the ability to take a third or fourth along for short trips means that it gets used more than a two seater does while still maintaining the fun factor.

If I end up getting a differen't car it will probably be a BMW. A lot of what I enjoy in this car is the handling, road feel, ride quality, and ergonomics. These are all areas that the Beemers had nailed pretty well. The Z4 less than the 330 but the Z4 has such killer looks...

We'll see I am hoping I can just deal with it, maybe get the seat redone. All I need is another 1" or so and I'm good to go.

Looks awesome, and I see there's an entire "club" there or something?
biggrin.gif

That old RX-7 of Mike's was an absolute blast to drive, so I can only imagine the newer, much improved stying of the RX-8 is even more fun! You let your friends test drive it much?
wink.gif

P.S. I love the dash!
cool.gif

Back