Need help picking a new (used) sports car,..anyone?

Help me choose my next used car, if you please.

• Mercedes CLK55 AMG

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Mercedes CLK 500 convertible

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Lexus SC430

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Infinity G35

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters

NCBusa2001

Registered
I'm hoping for some divine board wisdom. Here's the deal. I am feeling the itch REAL bad to spend some money. I cashed out of the market and have a have a few bills to spend.

I'm going to try and avoid what I usually do with spare cash (buy safe queens and ammo) and spend it on something a bit more productive.......and maybe a queen or two. So I'm thinking a used "go fast" car that is RELIABLE. Price range is UNDER 15k. Other limiting factor it has to have a "car seat-able" back seat.

In the running thus far is:

Mercedes CLK55 AMG
Lexus SC 430
Mercedes CLK 500
Infinity G35

All can be had in my price range with 50-75k miles.

If I'm missing any candidates, Please post up. I have elected not to go with honda/acura. I love honda but I'm driving a Civic coup and my wife has a accord ex. I'm looking for a change and I can't stand the way the Acura's look, IMHO.

Once again I thank the mighty Oracle in advance.

Cheers,
Chris

I hear a Mustang GT convertible is car-seat-able. :whistle:

I like the Lexus IS300. Right around $10k, and if it's too slow stock you can use the extra $ to swap a supra motor :bowdown:

What year, how many miles, and what condition is the Mercedes CLK55 AMG that it can be had for under $15k? ???

I'd have to also throw in an older BMW M3 and an Audi A3 turbo in the mix.

Id go for the G Chris, my brother has one witha a Cold Air kit and that things HAULS AZZZZ:laugh::thumbsup:

E39 BMW M5 V-8 6 Speed manual
Cadillac CTS-V V-8 6 Speed manual
Either one of those will provide you with plenty of power and handling, but are 4 door cars....

G35...not as fast as the G37, but still quite quick and sporty looking. I'm biased though, my wife has the G37. I try not to drive it as I get into trouble with it. 140mph is smoooooooth. :whistle:

Here are a few more to consider. The first two are more in the 20-30K range, but you can find a few closer to 15K for the miles you want.

Maserati Coupe
Lotus Elise
Audi TT
Porsche Boxter
BMW M Coupe / Roadster
Mercedes CL600
Acura NSX (... just kidding, although definitely can be had sub 20K like the rest)

Id go for the G Chris, my brother has one witha a Cold Air kit and that things HAULS AZZZZ:laugh::thumbsup:

i agree, i wanted the best of both worlds have 2 kids but was not gonna get a minivan. I bought an FX35 with the sport package. Added a CIA and I was really suprised on how it really moves out and handles with the 20's, the exhaust sounds sick too.

DSC_0049.jpg

Last edited:
E39 BMW M5 V-8 6 Speed manual
Cadillac CTS-V V-8 6 Speed manual
Either one of those will provide you with plenty of power and handling, but are 4 door cars....

Good luck getting either of those under $15k with his mileage requirements.
Both excellent vehicles though.

Here are a few more to consider. The first two are more in the 20-30K range, but you can find a few closer to 15K for the miles you want.

Maserati Coupe
Lotus Elise
Audi TT
Porsche Boxter
BMW M Coupe / Roadster
Mercedes CL600
Acura NSX (... just kidding, although definitely can be had sub 20K like the rest)

None of which (except the CL600) meet his criteria to accomodate a rear child safety seat.

Are you guys reading his post?

you sir, have an odd idea of what a go fast sports car is... ???

half of those cars would be killed by a new mustang... the clk 55 amg is the only one that wouldnt really, and a new camaro ss would give that car a solid run for its money, likely besting it on the top end....

i think the key is, when most people say sports car, they mean touring sedan/ touring coupe...

which is where most of the models you listed fell..

vehicles with a fun and sporty feel, many of the extra comforts you get from a luxury sedan(leather, sat/nav, etc.), but fall short on the performance of a true sports vehicle generally putting out 300 or less HP, there mercedes being an exception in the 350 area... however, they ALL will generally weigh quite a bit as the comfort adds substantial poundage...

in a SIMILAR vein to the vehicles you seem to like, but much more sport oriented compared to the vehicles you posted what about the Audi RS4 or the likes...420 hp of fun...

just a thought:

0703_ec_01_z+audi_rs4_mtm+front_view.jpg

or convertable!

2006_audi_rs4_cabriolet_01_m.jpg

Last edited:
you sir, have an odd idea of what a go fast sports car is... ???

half of those cars would be killed by a new mustang... the clk 55 amg is the only one that wouldnt really, and a new camaro ss would give that car a solid run for its money, likely besting it on the top end....

i think the key is, when most people say sports car, they mean touring sedan/ touring coupe...

which is where most of the models you listed fell..

vehicles with a fun and sporty feel, many of the extra comforts you get from a luxury sedan(leather, sat/nav, etc.), but fall short on the performance of a true sports vehicle generally putting out 300 or less HP, there mercedes being an exception in the 350 area... however, they ALL will generally weigh quite a bit as the comfort adds substantial poundage...

in a SIMILAR vein to the vehicles you seem to like, but much more sport oriented compared to the vehicles you posted what about the Audi RS4 or the likes...420 hp of fun...

just a thought:

0703_ec_01_z+audi_rs4_mtm+front_view.jpg

or convertable!

2006_audi_rs4_cabriolet_01_m.jpg
He said under 15k dollars.

Buy a 1 or 2 yr old Lancer Evo and whip up on most of them..

MitsuEvo2005.jpg

SoFla is full of cars like this and man I'm telling you at 120 plus they still pull hard.

Any of the ones you listed will have so many miles on them that other things will soon be in need of addressing.
Have any idea how expensive rotors are for ones you list ?
A new tranny on a 80k mile benz ?
Power window motors on that 6 yr old lexus you are looking at ?
Power roof motor on conv Lex ?

A used german or european sort/touring car like the one you want but in your price range will soon be in need of 3-4k in maintenance and repairs.

If it was a 300E sedan I would say it will run fine for 500,000 miles but the ones you list will have been driven just like you wanna drive them..hard !

blanca did nail a BIG point actually... maintenance is a big pain... nothing comes cheap... its why i swear up and down ill never buy an AUDI or Merc out of warranty.... repairs will eat you alive...

His suggestion wasnt to bad either, Evo's are strong runners....

BUT not particularly right out of the box...

STOCK the evo would actually lose to the AUDI, and POSSIBLY the clk 55 amg....

however, once you modded the evo a little that would all change..

then again, the audi is nearly as moddable..

the reason i dont recomend the evo, it lacks the "cushy" factor, its no where near the same fit finish and refinement of the audi/merc/etc. but it wasnt ment to have that either...

You also would have to be ok to be relegated to the "tuner crowd"(honda civics, rsx's, etc) as the evo is to the tuners what the BUSA is to sport bike world...

they are sweet cars though.... just not on my personal owning list for the above reasons..

i also personally think they look silly... but thats a personal preference..

Last edited:
Back