Need help picking a new (used) sports car,..anyone?

Help me choose my next used car, if you please.

• Mercedes CLK55 AMG

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Mercedes CLK 500 convertible

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Lexus SC430

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Infinity G35

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters
blanca did nail a BIG point actually... maintenance is a big pain... nothing comes cheap... its why i swear up and down ill never buy an AUDI or Merc out of warranty.... repairs will eat you alive...

His suggestion wasnt to bad either, Evo's are strong runners....

BUT not particularly right out of the box...

STOCK the evo would actually lose to the AUDI, and POSSIBLY the clk 55 amg....

however, once you modded the evo a little that would all change..

then again, the audi is nearly as moddable..

the reason i dont recomend the evo, it lacks the "cushy" factor, its no where near the same fit finish and refinement of the audi/merc/etc. but it wasnt ment to have that either...

You also would have to be ok to be relegated to the "tuner crowd"(honda civics, rsx's, etc) as the evo is to the tuners what the BUSA is to sport bike world...

they are sweet cars though.... just not on my personal owning list for the above reasons..

i also personally think they look silly... but thats a personal preference..

i LOVED smacking EVO'S with my mustang! the look on the kids faces were priceless when i walked them by 3 bus lengths...

That pic i found online but a friend had one and man that thing would scream and he had worked it a bit.
When it redline and the blowoff valve opened it was sweet. Thing would go.
Your right nowhere near as cushy as the others but much cheaper and easier to maintain and play with with catalogs of AFM parts for it.

Voted the cheapest on your list. Remember because you got the car at a steal doesn't mean the parts and service will come the same way. A 60k+ car will still be some big $$ to repair regardless of what you bought it for.

GL :beerchug:

i LOVED smacking EVO'S with my mustang! the look on the kids faces were priceless when i walked them by 3 bus lengths...

lol replace mustang with GTO, and you have me...

then again, the mustang can stay, and ill WHOOOP both of ya! :poke:

:beerchug:

Blance:

No doubt, massaged, the evo's can become AWD terrors on the street, impressive works of technology....

i always swore if i "had the need" for an AWD winter car... i would grab either an evo or STi, slap some Blizzacks or other nice winter tires and GO.... the fun factor would just be out of this world...

One thing my GTO doesnt do, is snow....

GTO will literally spin the tires idling in snow if i let it...hillarity ensues!

lol replace mustang with GTO, and you have me...

then again, the mustang can stay, and ill WHOOOP both of ya! :poke:

:beerchug:

Blance:

No doubt, massaged, the evo's can become AWD terrors on the street, impressive works of technology....

i always swore if i "had the need" for an AWD winter car... i would grab either an evo or STi, slap some Blizzacks or other nice winter tires and GO.... the fun factor would just be out of this world...

One thing my GTO doesnt do, is snow....

GTO will literally spin the tires idling in snow if i let it...hillarity ensues!

although i sold my stang in july. I HIGHLY doubt you would of been able to beat me in the 1/4. infact i bet i would of owned you by a cecond or more:poke:

i do like the looks of a gto though...from the rear view mirror...:cheerleader:

The gto was such a great car they made it for 4 years in new production and the company no longer exists lol. The gto is a sweet car I'm just ribbing ya. That ls motor is sweet esp if you got the 6.0 or a poked and stroked 5.7.

If your considering the evo why not the wrx?

The gto would be another that could be had for some decent money but its a coup with a rear sear and the evo and wrx have four doors.

I haven't looked in a while but what about a g8? Srt8 magnum or charger? Dunno where they fall price wise but all three have varying levels of performance some aftermarket and look good imho.
Posted via Mobile Device

Any car can be made to be another.
Cars that are easiest to add hp to have to be the fords...esp Mustang.
Followed then by the Jap cars...Honda then Mitsu..

AND LASTLY

GM...

My 00 Stang I put the procharger on it 4 core aftercooler. Swapped the fuel pump , put 36lb injectors in it all in my drive way with a craftsman 50 piece tool set.
Matching long tube headers with an x-pipe with Mac Mufflers on it.
In the driveway.
Drove it to tuner where they burned a chip for it and it laid down 473 hp to the wheels !

I could not even put dual exhaust on my 88 T/A ?

Ok we are supposed to be at 15k !

Like I said I don't know what they're going for now. I haven't looked at any cars in a while now. But they shouldn't be to far from 15k esp since he's looking at cars up 75k miles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep lol. Or buy a 98-02 f-body or a 99-04 stang or maybe a fox body and source a bunch of used go fast parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bought my '95 Mustang used, $16,000 13 years ago, GT convertible, no longer stock, carried two baby seats in it at once :laugh: NO REGRETS...it's been very reliable AND fun to mod...still reliable and incredibly fun, over a decade and 179,500 miles later :)

I'm quite biased though; I know this... :cool:

I love this car!

Tess2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, Thanks guys and gal for the overwhelming responses. I didn't know I would be starting something here, lol.

The reason I started with the initial list was the reliability factor. The last thing I want to do is buy a car for 15 and then start throwing money into it.

I've heard Mercedes AMG and the Lexus will run forever, with little or no major issues.

I have NOT heard the same thing about the stang, gto, or any other Detroit inspired cage. I really, really dislike F.O.R.D. :)

There are two AMG 55's that I am looking at, both are 2001 models and right around 75-77k miles. I'm sure Mercedes parts are expensive, but how likely will it be needing them anytime soon? (I drive about 10K miles a year).

Then there is the Lexus. My bud has two SC's one a 400 and the other a 430. He has beat the crap out of them without a hiccup. He drives as hard as I do also.

Still thinking,
Chris

Good luck getting either of those under $15k with his mileage requirements.
Both excellent vehicles though.

None of which (except the CL600) meet his criteria to accomodate a rear child safety seat.

Are you guys reading his post?

THanks for paying attention. :)

although i sold my stang in july. I HIGHLY doubt you would of been able to beat me in the 1/4. infact i bet i would of owned you by a cecond or more:poke:

i do like the looks of a gto though...from the rear view mirror...:cheerleader:

PM sent :)

The gto was such a great car they made it for 4 years in new production and the company no longer exists lol. The gto is a sweet car I'm just ribbing ya. That ls motor is sweet esp if you got the 6.0 or a poked and stroked 5.7.

If your considering the evo why not the wrx?

The gto would be another that could be had for some decent money but its a coup with a rear sear and the evo and wrx have four doors.

Hey now, i cant help that people didnt like the GTO.... It was called the most under rated car by car n driver, edmunds, and motortrend like 2 times... LOL..

And the company that made them didnt die... Its a Holden remember, Pontiac was only "allowed" to put their name on it!! hehehehe

Really, being a Holden was the best thing ever for the G8 and the GTO, it left them with "euro" quality interior finish and quality....

they really were just fantastic cars....

AND Holden is still around and kicking...... i think.... roflol....

speaking of.... G8 GT.... solid car, solid HP, back seat... etc...

really, the LS based powerplant is about bullet proof, it will be the last thing to go... i would avoid the 05 year LS2(had a slight oil consumption issue on some versions), 06 year LS2+ LS3 etc are all fine.... and the LS1 was considered one of the best motors ever made for a good period of time, and still is by many....

PS: hahaha i had flipped around his milage and his cost... i thought he wanted something between 50k and 75k with 15k miles hahahahaha

Last edited:
I'd take a pontiac, chevy, dodge, or ford any day over a benz, infiniti, or lexus. The aftermarket for most of those cars suck and parts are hard to find unless you go to the stealer. Which I'm sure the first time the hvac or window motor goes out you'll be hating life. They all break down I don't care what anyone says. I've broke every brand of car just about and if I haven't I know someone that's has. Its more about how much to fix vs the perceived how often.

And why are people selling these higher milaeage cars? You could walk into a basket case.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back