tell us your "worst motel ever!" story.

I guess the worst I have stayed in is working storm recovery. We stayed in one that you could slide a pizza box under the door the gap was so big. Bugs everywhere and the power was out, of course. Smelled like stanky B.O., really bad too. It was either that or the cab of the truck.

Super 8 Exit 57 off 95 in Walterboro SC. Avoid at all cost. Pee smell in hall -AC so loud couldn't sleep. Lots of 1st floor rooms but wouldn't let me change room from 2nd story dead end fire trap. SCUMBAGS

My Dad always says, "if there's a Camel tied up out front, keep on driving to another motel". He's got millions of great sayings like that. Funniest old guy I know.

I had a horrible stay in San Antonio while on R&R from the 'Stan. The family and i were going to Sea World and went cheap by staying on Ft. Sam Houston military base. Keep in mind that Ft. Sam is a huge military hospital that treats alot of servicemen and women who have been injured in either Afghanistan or Iraq. Also keep in mind that all hotels located on military bases are run by Holiday Inn.

Ok anyway we check into the room and before getting in bed, i pulled back the sheets to find that they had not been changed. There's blood stains all over the sheets and bloody bandages stuck to the underside of the blanket. It took me all of 5 seconds to pack up everything and go down 2 flights of stairs to cuss the manager out, tell him what a POS he was for allowing his housekeeping staff to take short cuts cleaning rooms and demanded my money back. I got our money back and the manager was trying to kiss my butt by getting me to stay in another room for free. I told him hell no because I was afraid I might find the body that went with bloody sheets and bandages. It was the most awful and disgusting thing Ive had to deal with in a hotel. I wasn't a big fan of holiday inn before they took over the military contract. We normally stay in a Hilton or Marriott chain of hotels. I won't never stay in another military hotel, I've slept in alot of crap places while deployed but definitely had cleaner sheets.

That is really gross, but as a service member, I'd have a little more understanding in this case. Obviously the previous tenant was a WOUNDED SOLDIER - and since you were also deployed, I'd think you'd have a little more understanding in this situation - how would you like to be the guy who is wounded - so bad you are suppurating/bleeding from it...I'm sure the manager didn't let it happen on purpose. Give them a chance to fix it.

I have stayed in a lot of military hotels, and I've always had a first-class experience for a considerable discount. Don't let one bad experience ruin your opinion of them.

5-Points, Robbinsville, NC just down the street from Phillips where the partying is during the Busa Bash...

It was so bad, we all wanted to sleep in our gear... :rofl:

That is really gross, but as a service member, I'd have a little more understanding in this case. Obviously the previous tenant was a WOUNDED SOLDIER - and since you were also deployed, I'd think you'd have a little more understanding in this situation - how would you like to be the guy who is wounded - so bad you are suppurating/bleeding from it...I'm sure the manager didn't let it happen on purpose. Give them a chance to fix it.

I have stayed in a lot of military hotels, and I've always had a first-class experience for a considerable discount. Don't let one bad experience ruin your opinion of them.
I didn't have a problem with the wounded soldier. The problem I had was with hotel housekeeping staff. I've stayed in hotels from anywhere to a night up to 3 weeks and everyday that came and changed the sheets on the beds. The sole purpose of housekeeping is to clean the room. It didn't happen and who knows how long it had been like that because the blood was dry. I showed the manager and he was in shock also. That showed me the housekeeping staff cuts corners or the room was overlooked. Either way i wasn't happy. Im in the military and that was my first and last stay in any of them. My opinion about military hotels won't change based off the experience I had to deal with. Even if I were alone the attitude would still be the same.

The Dollarwise Hotel in Atlanta, GA. I was FORCED to stay there during the 1996 Olympics. We had a death in the family and were stationed in Norfolk and had to drive home for the funeral. Altanta was always 1/2 way and the games were in town. This was the ONLY room available. It was DISGUSTING!! The lights were hanging on by wires, there were no sheets on the greasy mattress, just a nasty stained blanket. Brown towels & water. Stinky, dirty carpet. There was nothing that wasn't GROSS about this room!

Also, the Motel 6 off military hwy in Norfolk, VA. There was broken glass and blood spatters every where. Crusty white stains all over the bed and empty 40 ounce bottles. We turned around and left. That room was so gross that we reported it to the health dept.

I didn't have a problem with the wounded soldier. The problem I had was with hotel housekeeping staff. I've stayed in hotels from anywhere to a night up to 3 weeks and everyday that came and changed the sheets on the beds. The sole purpose of housekeeping is to clean the room. It didn't happen and who knows how long it had been like that because the blood was dry. I showed the manager and he was in shock also. That showed me the housekeeping staff cuts corners or the room was overlooked. Either way i wasn't happy. Im in the military and that was my first and last stay in any of them. My opinion about military hotels won't change based off the experience I had to deal with. Even if I were alone the attitude would still be the same.

Sorry you had such a bad experience, I've always had good ones.

Sorry you had such a bad experience, I've always had good ones.

No need to apologize, it couldve happened at any hotel. We learn from incidents and move on. I'm just moving on to the Hilton or Marriott and get the bonus points for the stays. :rofl:

For me my worst was overseas. It was in the south of France. The motel was a room above a very active bar. It was basicaly a closet converted into a bedroom by throwing a matress in there. There was enough room to shimy around one side of the bed. You couldn't open the door all the way because it would hit the bed. Very dimly lit so it was hard to tell if the bed sheets were dirty or just an off white color. Climbed into the bed and the whole center sunk like a water bed with no water. I was ready to sleep until a rat crossed over my legs. I don't know where he came from or where he went but I left the room and searched for another place to sleep.

I have to add... You had to go through a bar and then on the left side behind the bar was a narrow stair case the stairs leading up went to the "Motel", the stairs leading down went to the bathroom.
For me my worst was overseas. It was in the south of France. The motel was a room above a very active bar. It was basicaly a closet converted into a bedroom by throwing a matress in there. There was enough room to shimy around one side of the bed. You couldn't open the door all the way because it would hit the bed. Very dimly lit so it was hard to tell if the bed sheets were dirty or just an off white color. Climbed into the bed and the whole center sunk like a water bed with no water. I was ready to sleep until a rat crossed over my legs. I don't know where he came from or where he went but I left the room and searched for another place to sleep.

We stayed at a motel in Demopolis Al that didn't have a bathroom door (was ripped of it's hinges). It also didn't have a functioning shower. Turned the water on and the nozzle shot across the tub. It was like trying to bathe from a pressure washer. Sadly it was the only room available due to a "foot wash" going on in the next town over, everything was booked up.

Almost forgot about the one I stayed in in Colorado Springs. Room was nice but it had a bad tick infestation.....they were every where. Got another room for free.

Does it count if you're part of the problem?

This story is 30+ years old, when I was in high school. We were in a soccer tournament at the beach. Our team lost the first day, so we were in runup with the other losers for the next day. Rather than let that get us down, we were in for some big time partying. Remember, folks, this was when 18 year olds could drink legally. We went to a very good restaurant. We drank a lot and were very rowdy. Other people in the restaurant complained, but instead of telling us to quiet it down, the Maitre D' actually moved them to another room. They brought us brandy and cigars after dinner. We tipped very well that night. We even called over the busboy, the chef, and especially the Maitre D'.

That night we went back to the room, I think it was a Ramada Inn, not too bad a place. We broke out the tequilla someone had brought. I went into the bathroom about 3 am only to find John T passed out in the bathtub. He was a chubby little porker. He was in his underwear. The water had drained out of the tub. He was covered in the spaghetti he had puked up - he had tried to cheap out at dinner! I gathered up my stuff and put it in my car.

Then about 3 or 4 of us went and slept it off on the lounges by the pool. The manager woke us up at 5 am. We told him we needed fresh air and gave him our room number which seemed to satisfy him.

I was still drunk for the game the next morning. I think our opponents were still drunk too. It was not a good game. I think we lost.

I will never forget the image of our benchwarmer John T in his tidy whities, laying in the bathtub covered in spaghetti. It really wasn't the hotel's fault. :rofl:

Guiria,Venezuela...... room was 50 cents a night. Had a bum try to get in my room. I smelled him about 15 seconds before he started trying to open the door. :drinka:

Does it count if you're part of the problem?

This story is 30+ years old, when I was in high school. We were in a soccer tournament at the beach. Our team lost the first day, so we were in runup with the other losers for the next day. Rather than let that get us down, we were in for some big time partying. Remember, folks, this was when 18 year olds could drink legally. We went to a very good restaurant. We drank a lot and were very rowdy. Other people in the restaurant complained, but instead of telling us to quiet it down, the Maitre D' actually moved them to another room. They brought us brandy and cigars after dinner. We tipped very well that night. We even called over the busboy, the chef, and especially the Maitre D'.

That night we went back to the room, I think it was a Ramada Inn, not too bad a place. We broke out the tequilla someone had brought. I went into the bathroom about 3 am only to find John T passed out in the bathtub. He was a chubby little porker. He was in his underwear. The water had drained out of the tub. He was covered in the spaghetti he had puked up - he had tried to cheap out at dinner! I gathered up my stuff and put it in my car.

Then about 3 or 4 of us went and slept it off on the lounges by the pool. The manager woke us up at 5 am. We told him we needed fresh air and gave him our room number which seemed to satisfy him.

I was still drunk for the game the next morning. I think our opponents were still drunk too. It was not a good game. I think we lost.

I will never forget the image of our benchwarmer John T in his tidy whities, laying in the bathtub covered in spaghetti. It really wasn't the hotel's fault. :rofl:

Now, I can beat that :whistle:

1982, U.S. Army ROTC Advanced Camp, Fort Riley, KS: Actually, in Manhattan, KS. We got a weekend pass and went to Manhattan (lots of co-eds at Kansas State :whistle:)

There were four of us sharing 2 beds. We went out that evening and had a really good time. One of my buds had a LOT to drink, but he was OK - UNTIL, when we were walking back to the hotel, he had to stop to take a pee. Not finding a toliet nearby, he decides to go down the alley and go behind a dumpster. We are all standing out on the street, just whistling Dixie :whistle: when we see a police officer walk by the alleyway, stop, go back and go down the alley. He shooed out our buddy and we went on our way, having a big laugh at his expense. What we didn't notice was that he wasn't spitting the huge dip he had previously been working on....the cop surprised him so bad he swallowed it....

About 4 AM I go into the bathroom, and he is laying in the floor...passed out...in his own puke...totally missed the toilet and it was EVERYWHERE - walls, ceiling..... How he could completely miss the toilet still baffles me. So, I kinda drag him out of his own vomitus so he wouldn't drown in it, and go back to bed...but sometime during the night he woke up and climbed in my bed to sleep...AARRRGH!!!

We had to pay an extra $100 to the maid to clean the room, and were banned from the hotel for perpetuity....

It's one of those "You just had to be there" moments :laugh:

The Dollarwise Hotel in Atlanta, GA. I was FORCED to stay there during the 1996 Olympics. We had a death in the family and were stationed in Norfolk and had to drive home for the funeral. Altanta was always 1/2 way and the games were in town. This was the ONLY room available. It was DISGUSTING!! The lights were hanging on by wires, there were no sheets on the greasy mattress, just a nasty stained blanket. Brown towels & water. Stinky, dirty carpet. There was nothing that wasn't GROSS about this room!

Also, the Motel 6 off military hwy in Norfolk, VA. There was broken glass and blood spatters every where. Crusty white stains all over the bed and empty 40 ounce bottles. We turned around and left. That room was so gross that we reported it to the health dept.

ok thats the worst one so far, next time i rent a room im gonna get a black lite and check the place out like CSI

I would prefer to sleep on the hood of my car than stay in rooms that are nasty...I have never appreciated truck stops / rest areas so much. I am by no means a clean freak but the wet bed and a loaded toilet are signs to get out.

Guiria,Venezuela...... room was 50 cents a night. Had a bum try to get in my room. I smelled him about 15 seconds before he started trying to open the door. :drinka:

:rofl: and i though i was cheep. :poke: what do you expect for 50 cents.:rofl:

:rofl: thats freakin awesome! 50 cents! :rofl:

I work at an Extended Stay Hotel & we do our best to stay CLEAN & it's not easy, people have to realize it's like cleaning your house EVERY day , we give housekeeping once a week and people are fine with it ,we aren't high end at all but we give GOOD service, we have security at night ,have our own laundry room se we can wash our own bedding and let the guest see us doing it,you can trade out dirty towels for new ones anytime so unless your change out " YOUR" bedding everyday it's not really necessary ...unless......your getting your freak on :whistle: Then we gotcha covered :thumbsup:

Back