Talk to me about my useless rear ABS

dcnblues

Registered
I've decided it actually bugs me having (only) the rear brake be so useless. So

A) does ABS make everybody's rear brake pretty much useless when used alone? Mine stops in at least three times the distance of my gen 1 and of course won't slide. But it is so ineffectual I'm thinking there's some kind of problem.

B) has anyone deleted just the rear ABS?

C) in the electronics I remember setting the ABS to minimum, and I'm certainly under the impression there's no separate settings for front and rear. So I'm not under the impression there's any digital solution to improving the rear brake.

I'm surprised that the difference between front and rear. A front panic squeeze works really well and stops the bike instantly. The rear seems to render the brake useless. Up to now I haven't cared that much, but now if there's a solution I'd like to know it.

A) does ABS make everybody's rear brake pretty much useless when used alone? Mine stops in at least three times the distance of my gen 1 and of course won't slide. But it is so ineffectual I'm thinking there's some kind of problem.

B) has anyone deleted just the rear ABS?

C) in the electronics I remember setting the ABS to minimum, and I'm certainly under the impression there's no separate settings for front and rear. So I'm not under the impression there's any digital solution to improving the rear brake.

I'm surprised that the difference between front and rear. A front panic squeeze works really well and stops the bike instantly. The rear seems to render the brake useless. Up to now I haven't cared that much, but now if there's a solution I'd like to know it.
I agree 100%, rear abs on a motorcycle is just dumb the Gen3 also links the rear brake as well, which is even dumber. I'm planning an ABS delete but you might be able to simply block off the rear lines from the pump and add a resavoir and a new line so there is no rear abs and it's unlinked as it should be IMO.

S**t. From the Boost by Smith web page:
Deleting a front or rear ABS sensor? *
I don’t really recommend this as you lose the traction control functionality when doing so.
I want to keep the front ABS, so I guess my Gen 3 is just going to have a useless rear brake. This is how Valentino Rossi felt when they brought in the electronics...

Well, here in 'Nanny State' NZ, we have to keep the ABS intact and working as it came from the manufacturer, otherwise the vehicle is no longer compliant with the Warrant of Fitness the vehicle must have each year ( a safety check )
If the vehicle does not have a current 'WoF' the insurance is void and if caught by Police there is a $200 fine issued.
But in America it appears you guys can do whatever the hell you want, so. . . .
I'm gonna move to the USA!!!!

(just kidding, they'd never let me in lol)

Well, here in 'Nanny State' NZ, we have to keep the ABS intact and working as it came from the manufacturer, otherwise the vehicle is no longer compliant with the Warrant of Fitness the vehicle must have each year ( a safety check )
If the vehicle does not have a current 'WoF' the insurance is void and if caught by Police there is a $200 fine issued.
But in America it appears you guys can do whatever the hell you want, so. . . .
I'm gonna move to the USA!!!!

(just kidding, they'd never let me in lol)
We still have some freedoms left over here...

S**t. From the Boost by Smith web page:

I want to keep the front ABS, so I guess my Gen 3 is just going to have a useless rear brake. This is how Valentino Rossi felt when they brought in the electronics...
I'm pretty sure that you could keep the electronics in place and just use the gen2 non-ABS line to bypass the ABS valve block. Then you would have a functional front ABS and non-computer controlled rear brake.

@smithabusa should be able to provide some more accurate info.

I'm pretty sure that you could keep the electronics in place and just use the gen2 non-ABS line to bypass the ABS valve block. Then you would have a functional front ABS and non-computer controlled rear brake.

@smithabusa should be able to provide some more accurate info.
Doesn't sound right. But I hope it's true. I don't know anything about the rear sensor.

Also just occurred to me maybe the rear needs a bleed, and this isn't about abs. What's it like for your bikes? It's an astonishing feeling to not have that rear brake stop the bike but you can feel the ABS pumping every three or four feet mildly...

I can lock mine up just like my other bike if I want to. I don't really use the rear unless I'm on a hill or something though.

I would still like to know whether anyone on a stock gen 3, going let's say 20 miles an hour, can slam on the rear brake and have the motorcycle stop in a decent amount of time. Mine won't, and I don't know if it's an outlier.

I love my rear brake, I always did :D
I always use the rear brake first, and in a corner it allows me to correct the trajectory without raising the bike too much
Hard to imagine to ride without it !

I would still like to know whether anyone on a stock gen 3, going let's say 20 miles an hour, can slam on the rear brake and have the motorcycle stop in a decent amount of time. Mine won't, and I don't know if it's an outlier.
I will check. If I recall the braking practice from the motorcycle safety course as a thumb rule rear only should be approx. double of the front only and approx. three-four times more than if you properly applies both together starting with the rear to lengthen the wheelbase and lower the center of gravity to enhance the grip and increase stability.

I will check. If I recall the braking practice from the motorcycle safety course as a thumb rule rear only should be approx. double of the front only and approx. three-four times more than if you properly applies both together starting with the rear to lengthen the wheelbase and lower the center of gravity to enhance the grip and increase stability.
Braking drills at a track School end up with you heading towards the instructor, and waiting to see whether he signals that you use your front or back or both brakes. Using just the back trains you to have a soft enough touch not to slide the back tire, which will give you the shortest stopping distance. Whatever that was on my gen 1, on my abs rear gen 3 it's like double that distance minimum.

Which means it's not working well. And I have no idea whether that happens to everybody.

Braking drills at a track School end up with you heading towards the instructor, and waiting to see whether he signals that you use your front or back or both brakes. Using just the back trains you to have a soft enough touch not to slide the back tire, which will give you the shortest stopping distance. Whatever that was on my gen 1, on my abs rear gen 3 it's like double that distance minimum.

Which means it's not working well. And I have no idea whether that happens to everybody.
In comparison with gen 1 if it double... pfff... it has to be a failure on that individual bike. Otherwise, ... well... it is safety hazard.

Back