Rear Brakes

Spkrdctr

Registered
My rear brake is useless except for holding the bike still on a slight grade when stopped. Using it at speed, 40mph there is no noticeable effect. Is there a way to make the rear brake work better? I don't need extreme performance to lock it up, but having "some" braking would be nice. Now I only use the front as the rear is joke. I figure you guys know a lot about this stuff......

SS lines, better pads, Galfer rotors-- they will stop you for sure

Galferitems005.jpg

The stainless line helped me too.
I also sand off the glaze from the pads and rotor in a cross hatch pattern, with 200 sandpaper every once and a while. Keeps them like new.
I use my rear brake a lot, almost on every stop, and as such it is there in a panic stop without me thinking.
Good Luck!

Better pads.

I had ther same issue for awhile. Put a nice set of pads on her and the forst time i tried them out I left a nice little skid mark on my driveway.

Spend the extra money and get a good set.

Stainless Brake line will help as well.

Don't do it. They are so weak for a good reason - so that you can't lock them up easily - still possible though. And don't use your rear in emergency, and especially when wet - you will lock them up. Needless to say, I still have my original rear pads after 25k miles. I apply them once in a while to scrub the rotor so it doesn't rust.

My old srads brakes would get like that from time to time. Never figured it out. I would make sure the calipers are squeezing before I trial and error replacing parts.

You replace you line with the new braided to reduce sweeling which can make the pedal feel spongy.

Also I don't know why yoiu guys are so against the rear brake. I use both in moderation and its easier to control a rear skid than to have the front skipping on the pavement. Learn to use both correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Most effective braking is done with both front and rear brake. Use both.

Sound like you have a real problem, they are not made that way on purpose. Maybe they are glazed over or something but you really should get it fixed.

how does changing the line help??

As your rubber brake line gets older it will expand more, Causing less pressure, A Steel Braided line will not flex or expand.

However, when I had my brake issue I did have steel lines, All I had to do was to install a better set of Pads, Really wish I could remember what they were.

As stated above, It is always best to use the front brake when needed, I use both, But 85 to 90% of it comes from the front, I just lightly touch the rear while slowing.

Last edited:
Also I don't know why yoiu guys are so against the rear brake. I use both in moderation and its easier to control a rear skid than to have the front skipping on the pavement. Learn to use both correctly. :beerchug:

My rear brake is useless except for holding the bike still on a slight grade when stopped. Using it at speed, 40mph there is no noticeable effect.

If this is literal, that's just crazy. Never heard of that. Seriously time to upgrade.

Assuming no serious issues with your bike- Toss the crummy stock rear line and get a stainless braided one. What's 50 bucks when it comes to $$ we spend on our mods. Couple that with a Galfer Wave Rotor. Just swapped out mine for a new one the other day, love the look!

Enter FK003D223R :easy: Buy Galfer Brake Lines Braided Stainless Steel Motorcycle | Pashnit Moto

Enter DF307 :easy:

Braking Rotor,Speigler Line and Carbonne Lorraine Pads,Great Setup...Carboone Pads on the Front with lines work great also...

I'm happy with EBC "hh" pads front and rear. I use both every time with moderation on the rear. It shouldn't be easy to lock-up but it does slow the swing arm movement, which is a life saver when you enter too hot. You need to learn to use the rear brake.
Nick

Back