Front brakes saved my life: but question.

Reading all of this makes me understand why all the manufacturers think ABS is a lousy idea for a street bike
biggrin.gif
Reading all of this reminds why I think ABS should come standard on bikes. Switchable would be a bonus.

I see more stuff on the internet written by folks who have read a book about riding, and talk about how to stop fast that apparantly have never really tried to stop fast, that I think ABS should be much more widespread...

It would be a HUGE BONUS in gravely, or wet conditions.

ABS isn't something that manufacterers think is a lousy idea, it's just a pricey idea that adds weight.

LINKED brakes are a crappy idea, but ABS is the future and it won't be too long before all bikes have it. It's technology that works.

Reading all of this makes me understand why all the manufacturers think ABS is a lousy idea for a street bike
biggrin.gif
Reading all of this reminds why I think ABS should come standard on bikes. Switchable would be a bonus.

I see more stuff on the internet written by folks who have read a book about riding, and talk about how to stop fast that apparantly have never really tried to stop fast, that I think ABS should be much more widespread...

ABS isn't something that manufacterers think is a lousy idea, it's just a pricey idea that adds weight.

LINKED brakes are a crappy idea, but ABS is the future and it won't be too long before all bikes have it. It's technology that works.
REV - Have you rode a Newer VFR with Linked-brakes...and honestly can say you liked them?

I like the Idea of Traction control ...ala MotoGP, and ABS might be great for the rain, but for dry conditions...my body/mind is use to Non-ABS. I think with a few thousand miles with ABS, I might just like it.

Are you saying reading books, and practicing the things you have learned in books is pointless? I'm trying to be clear on the stand your taking on the rear-brake issue. To say someone who doesn't use their rear brake in an emergency stop has no clue, would be a pretty bold statement.

biggrin.gif
Reading all of this reminds why I think ABS should come standard on bikes.  Switchable would be a bonus.

LINKED brakes are a crappy idea, but ABS is the future and it won't be too long before all bikes have it.  It's technology that works.
Rev, that was a joke !!!! Ha Ha Ha
laugh.gif

ABS on heavy bikes in most peoples hands is a life saver. And for those who use Track Type Braking on the  street. Well, how many tracks have you been on with 4 to 6 different crowns (made by multi ton trucks) that effect the rear and front braking action and the bikes stability
rock.gif
? Not to mention oil, dirt, gravel, rocks, stones, water and general trash on the road that will send your Butt-kus flying if you hit it. The street is NOT a perfect test area for max braking and control. Kinda like some Harley friends of mine who swear that they NEVER use the front brake because it will flip you over the handlebars in and emergency. Of course the only thing I've ever seen that could flip you over a Harleys handle bars is the immovable object it just hit
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yea, if you had gently taped you rear brake it would have stayed in line with the front. That's what both brakes are for, stopping ! The dynamic forces at your speed will twist the bike (or spin) around the front wheel if it is rapidly stopping but the rear is continuning to rotate at it's highly spinning speed. Simply put, the front of the bike is stopping while the rear is still accelerating which will cause a monentary twisting action, generally to the right ! That's why you use BOTH brakes, not just the front for a Panic Stop. You just use 1/4 as much pressure on the rear which will stabilize the rotating mass (called the rear wheel)
wink.gif
if you listen to this guy you will crash !!!!!!! just how in the hell do you figure on "just tapping the rear 1/4 " dude your in for trouble .in a panic just stay away from the rear it will put you in a slide and i dont care how good you are or how light you tap it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lmfao

Yea, if you had gently taped you rear brake it would have stayed in line with the front. That's what both brakes are for, stopping ! The dynamic forces at your speed will twist the bike (or spin) around the front wheel if it is rapidly stopping but the rear is continuning to rotate at it's highly spinning speed. Simply put, the front of the bike is stopping while the rear is still accelerating which will cause a monentary twisting action, generally to the right ! That's why you use BOTH brakes, not just the front for a Panic Stop. You just use 1/4 as much pressure on the rear which will stabilize the rotating mass (called the rear wheel)
wink.gif
if you listen to this guy you will crash !!!!!!! just how in the hell do you figure on "just tapping the rear 1/4 " dude your in for trouble .in a panic just stay away from the rear it will put you in a slide and i dont care how good you are or how light you tap it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lmfao
For your answer, you tap it by FIRST
idea.gif
learning how to ride a bike and control it with ALL its controls. Something you evidently haven't been able to accomplish yet
biggrin.gif

wink.gif
I couldn't agree more! I'm amazed at the number of folks on here that are somewhat uneducated about the proper use of the brakes.

We had a gent who was killed on a bike just south of town about ten miles a few weeks ago. I posted up about his improper use of the rear brake that took his life. He was a 52 year old California man who also thought it proper to use both brakes for maximum braking?

From eye witnesses who watched the entire sinerio he was northbound on I-5 when traffic had slowed in front of him almost to a stop. He applied the front brakes hard and then stepped on the rear. His bike instantly tossed him off (Bitten by the HighSide Snake) and directly under the trailer wheels of a semi tractor/trailer in the slow lane next to him and his head was crushed like a pumpkin. One moment he was riding along 75 mph enjoying the view and within three seconds of applying the rear brake he was dead (That means Grave Yard Dead with no second chance).

So if you are not a professional rider who knows how to slide the rear into a corner (Called Backing it in) and keeping the tire spinning throughout the entire corner, I'd suggest you pretend the rear brake is a hornets nest. If you are willing to poke a hornets nest, then don't complain when you get stung!

I got a chance to prove some of these theories just this morning! I was riding to work and I am following this old 66 Mustang. I was actually daydreaming a little like I damn well know I shouldn’t be, when I noticed that the Mustang was suddenly a lot closer to me than he had been a millisecond earlier. No brake lights at all! And he is stopping hard. I instantly grab a handful and clench the tank with my knees. And wouldn’t you know it I found myself dabbing the rear brake pedal ever so slightly, to just hear the rear tire chirp a little! Brought it safely to a halt and went on my way. Now under normal circumstances I rarely ever use my rear brake for anything but reigning in an errant wheelie or holding position at a stop light. So I found it funny that I would actually use my rear brake in a panic stop??? Never thought about it, never practiced it, just happened. Instinct I guess?  I went on my way analyzing that scene a bit and I guess I really don’t know what to think. I know damn well I was using all the brakes my trusty Busa had to offer for sure and my sticky tires did their part. I am sure I should have been paying more attention to where I was but when the time came I did exactly what I needed to do when I needed to do it so I was actually pretty proud of myself for that one.

Be safe out there!
If you heard the rear tire chirp then you weren't on the front brakes very hard.

Oh, maybe you were on a harley :-)

wink.gif
I couldn't agree more! I'm amazed at the number of folks on here that are somewhat uneducated about the proper use of the brakes.

We had a gent who was killed on a bike just south of town about ten miles a few weeks ago. I posted up about his improper use of the rear brake that took his life. He was a 52 year old California man who also thought it proper to use both brakes for maximum braking?

From eye witnesses who watched the entire sinerio he was northbound on I-5 when traffic had slowed in front of him almost to a stop. He applied the front brakes hard and then stepped on the rear. His bike instantly tossed him off (Bitten by the HighSide Snake) and directly under the trailer wheels of a semi tractor/trailer in the slow lane next to him and his head was crushed like a pumpkin. One moment he was riding along 75 mph enjoying the view and within three seconds of applying the rear brake he was dead (That means Grave Yard Dead with no second chance).

So if you are not a professional rider who knows how to slide the rear into a corner (Called Backing it in) and keeping the tire spinning throughout the entire corner, I'd suggest you pretend the rear brake is a hornets nest. If you are willing to poke a hornets nest, then don't complain when you get stung!
I agree with your PROPER use of Brakes !  Live and Learn
idea.gif

wink.gif
Sorry, but I disagree. If that was the case, why do they put two brakes on a bike? There are times to stay off your back brake, You should never get on the rear really hard (unless you want to slide on purpose). But using both brakes in the a straight line will slow you down alot faster than the front alone. A Heavy Busa needs all the help to it can get to stop!!

Sorry, but I disagree. If that was the case, why do they put two brakes on a bike? There are times to stay off your back brake, You should never get on the rear really hard (unless you want to slide on purpose). But using both brakes in the a straight line will slow you down alot faster than the front alone. A Heavy Busa needs all the help to it can get to stop!!
It's okay to disagree but the "Highside Snake" is watching you :-)

You really want to know why your sport bike has a rear brake?

It's because they can't sell them in this country without one!

I know this topic has been hashed to death but here is the real deal on your back brake. If you are giving the ole girl all the front brake she can handle the rear tire is so light that even if you do step on the brake, the tire has no traction to help you out. Just keep squeezing the front brake a little tighter until the rear wheel is in the air, will it help you at that point to apply the rear brake? Rear brakes are necessary on all big heavy cruisers such as harleys, gold wings and the like but on your sport bike, the rear brake is completely useless as far as shortening up your stopping distance. Just look at any of the moto GP guys, they brake so hard with the front that most of them have the rear tire in the air.

Take your busa to the track and try braking with both brakes and you'll find every swinging ##### out there will out brake you. Yes, everyone on the track will out brake you!

Bottom line is,,,,,,,,,,,, if you find the rear brake actually slows your bike down then you are not braking very hard with the front. Take a track day with instruction, they will teach you about braking.

Check out an Aprila sometime. They are the only bike I know of that comes from the factory with virtually no rear braking ability. They do average everyday guys a favor and make there bikes almost highside proof (Idiot Proof) under braking.

Back