Rear brake sucks?

BowDown

Registered
Now don't get me wrong... I know 80->90% of the braking should be done with the front brake, but even after adjusting my brake lever it doesn't seem like the rear brake does ****!

My C50 had a pretty strong rear brake, but the Busa's rear brake doesn't seem to slow me down at all...

Is this normal?

At least there's no worry about locking the rear brake up during emergency stops.
zzwhip.gif

mine works as good as I expect but again, as you noted, nothing like the front... It'll hold me stationary up steep hills... i can see the mph drop when I press on it... and yes i've locked the rear and i'm just shy of 200lbs... I guess it all depends on what you're used to and how you work it... sorry I don't have a better answer for ya'

Yep, normal P.O.S. rear sportbike brakes.........Either all or nothing.....

I have to get on mine pretty good to get some "good" braking..
beerchug.gif

You guys are just weak... I can modulate the rear brake anywhere from soft, slight braking, up to locking the rear any time I want, and anywhere in between.

(bitabur @ Sep. 04 2007,12:55) I can modulate the rear brake anywhere from soft, slight braking, up to locking the rear any time I want, and anywhere in between.
+1

Suspension was nose diving as I am 260 suited. I adjusted forks, rear spring and added SS lines with OEM pads. Had fluid leak on front brake and had to use rear in rush hour traffic for 120 miles. No problems...

(BowDown @ Sep. 04 2007,07:27) Now don't get me wrong... I know 80->90% of the braking should be done with the front brake, but even after adjusting my brake lever it doesn't seem like the rear brake does ****!

My C50 had a pretty strong rear brake, but the Busa's rear brake doesn't seem to slow me down at all...

Is this normal?

At least there's no worry about locking the rear brake up during emergency stops.  
zzwhip.gif
From my experiences most sport bikes tend to have weaker rear brakes. Have you noticed how much smaller the tiny single rear disc is compared to the dual monster fronts? I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose to limit accidentally overbraking the rear and losing the bike under low traction conditions. Just a guess tho
wink.gif

My rear brake works great for what I do with it. And that's setting the chassie up for the corner (while also using the front brake) and letting it off while holding the front brake on. Other than that, in just general stopping for stop lights it works great with the front. As long as you understand the balance of both when working the system and YOUR riding style. Maybe, your expecting too much from the rear because I use it as an aid, not a stopping device !  
beerchug.gif

Rear Brakes
rock.gif
?? I thought that was a foot pedal for the balancing stick that held up the bike when we stopped
beerchug.gif

I complained about this exact same situation on my 2007 when I got mine. I noticed that the rear brake was completely worthless. I not only couldn't lock the rear if I tried, but I couldn't even bring the bike to a complete stop with the rear brake alone. After concentrating on purposely using it as often as I could, I finally started to notice a difference after a 500-600 miles. I think it just took a while to "break in" so to speak. It's much better now, but I still don't think I could lock it up even on purpose. Find some chances when nobody is behind you to use the rear brake exclusively as you coast to a stop from moderate speeds. That's what I did and it seemed to finally work. It still only has the potential to provide 30% of your maximum effective braking performance under the best of conditions. When I first got my bike, that was diminished to around 3-4% since the rear brakes did so poorly. I had to exclusively rely on the fronts in all situations and couldn't count on any help from the rear until a few hundred miles ago like I said.

Why would you want to lock your rear brake at anytime
rock.gif
 anyway ? That's what's so great about it
biggrin.gif
. You can use it to just settle the rear while setting up your corner intro  
beerchug.gif

If you can't lock up your rear brake (really, it doesn't take that much pressure for me) maybe your pedal isn't in a place that's good for your foot to take advantage of it...

Seriously... I can lock mine up so easily.... stock disc/pads/lines/fluid.... everything on my brakes is stock except for the rear caliper hanger which is now a RoadLok.
smile.gif

Back