Stupid Newbie Question #2

T5eater

Registered
I just noticed this after picking the bike up for its initial service. At about 40-50mph I hear a "whining" noise coming from the bike. It's almost like a gear whine, but its loud enough that I can hear it clearly through my full face helmet, even over the wind noise at 50mph. It does it when cruising with the bike in gear, as well as with the clutch pulled in. It also doesn't seem to matter if I downshift (keeping the clutch in), or stick it in neutral. As I slow to a stop the noise gradually gets more and more faint (but is still present until I stop). Is this normal for these bikes? It may very well be something that it was doing before I took it to the shop but I just didn't notice it. I rode the bike about 30 miles before I got a chance to check it all out. The next morning when the bike was cool (before riding again) I checked the chain tension (with the bike on the sidestand). There was maybe 1/8" to 1/4" of play at MOST in the chain. This was checking the play at the middle of the bottom side of the chain. I readjusted the chain according to the shop manual, and rode the bike again. The "whining" noise was still present. Much like my other "stupid question", I am guessing that I am just being paranoid. However, I'd rather be safe than sorry, and not find out the hard way that it was an issue as something comes apart at 100+mph.

I would say it was something with the chain since it does it whenever you described but you said you checked it and everything looks okay so.......

Next thing would be have you greased it?

If it is well greased then check the plastic slider on the swing arm. Sometimes when you RE-adjust the chain in rubs on that for a little while making a noise. Once it wears in the noise should go away!

Also, I'd think you would notice this but is the rear wheel aligned the same on both sides? You might get some more noise from the chain if it's not even but I would think you would noitce this when riding.

Only other thing without looking at it would be a LOW tire but once again, this would be something you would notice when riding.

The bike is NEW so you would think it wouldn't be the wheel bearings. If you are still getting the noise after you check this and run a tank of gas through it, maybe you have a bad bearing?

Anyone else, ideas?
rock.gif
?

Hi,

I have my first busa too so i'm also just figuring out the little idiosyncrasies, even so I figured i'd share what little i know about mine. The only thing that I can think of on my bike that sounds even slightly similar is a noise that comes from the injectors - at least I think it does. It's a high-pitched noise that could be described as a whistle. This happens anytime my bike is turned on and available to start. The difference is that i don’t think I can hear it over the rest of my engine while running hard- at least if i do i have started to ignore it. Anyway if that could be it, i am confident its normal, however if not something that loud doesn’t sound good. Also good job checking your chain, that’s pretty important and i'm surprised you got it back from your first service with it adjusted poorly. Good luck and enjoy your bike!!!

Wissler,

That noise you hear is the fuel pump on initial start up pressurizing the system. It should stop after a couple seconds and you shouldn't hear it again, even when riding!

Wissler,

That noise you hear is the fuel pump on initial start up pressurizing the system.  It should stop after a couple seconds and you shouldn't hear it again, even when riding!
I can hear my fuel pump while the bike is running. When I'm sitting with the blinker on, I can hear it occilate as the V drop makes it go slower and faster.

T5 - is it the same noise you hear as the fuel pump pressurizes the system when you turn your key on (before starting the bike).

Mikey D,

What year is your bike?

I don't hear mine at all! If you have a 99-00 then I could understand (outer pump)but my 01 and now my 03, I don't hear it at all after the initail pressure check start cycle!

T5Eater,

What year is your bike? I just thought about it and if it's a 99-00 it could be your timing chain tensioner! If it is a 99-00, I wouldn't ride it anymore without having that thing checked(TSB/recall on it). I have heard stories of that thing snapping and locking the motor up at high speeds!
wow.gif

One Thing every new Busa owner should know, is that these things make a lot of mechanical racket... All sorts of whirs, farts, whistles, and mechanical sounds.

The Honda Blackbird hardley made a sound accept for a Schweet induction noise at around 3-5K RPM. But the Busa isn't a Honda (which is a good thing) for the most part. If it was.... well it would be a Blackbird...

The noises I get out of the Busa are as follows:
1. Clutch, noisiest wet clutch I have ever heard when idling in neuteral. Sent me into the dealership once...
2. Fuel pump whine, I like it...Means she has a healthy appetite.
3. Intake noise, now this is where things get muddy, once in awhile it's a proper whooshing sound, most of the time however it's a wierd farty growling noise, especially when really on it. Sort of opens into a roar that gets blended with the air rushing past at higher speeds. Really don't notice it all that much unless your not wearing a helmet. (yes, I will go out in my neighborhood without a helmet just to listen to her,) it's important I think I can immediatly hear what my chain needs, and I can tell if there is anything unusual going on with my tranny/motor. Could be a helpful tool...
4. Valvetrain clatter, reminds me a of an older Air Cooled Porsche flat 6. Just all kinds of sewing machine sounds.

So what I am trying to say is that the Busa makes all sorts of noises which are completely normal and in character with this beast... What surprises me is none of you new owners ever ask about all those damn burning smells with your new bikes... That really got me after getting on her real good and then bringing her home... I thought I had something on fire....

I am thinking (Doesn't hurt too bad) that you might just be picking up some induction noise... Don't take my word for it, if your concerned wheel her over to the Dealership or your favorite wrench and have them take a listen, should take about 10 seconds if all is well...

Rev

I am thinking (Doesn't hurt too bad) that you might just be picking up some induction noise...  Don't take my word for it, if your concerned wheel her over to the Dealership or your favorite wrench and have them take a listen, should take about 10 seconds if all is well...

Rev
Rev -

I haven't been terribly impressed with the dealership I bought it from (took it to them for service, got it back dirty/oily, chain too tight, extra scratch on it, etc).  However, being that JohnnyCheese is so close by, I may take it by his shop and con him into riding it up the road to tell me if I am crazy or not.  Or, I may possibly take it and have a friend of mine ride it.  Not sure if he posts here but he has a Gold/Silver 99 he drag races, and just bought a Silver/Silver 03 like mine.  

Got-Busa -

The bike is an 03.  It currently has about 670 miles on it.  The sound I am hearing is definately not the fuel pump.  The reason I say this is it seems to be speed dependant, not RPM dependant.  It is really noticeable at 40-50mph and gets quieter as I slow, until it goes completely away right before I am stopped. The best way I can describe the sound, is similar to a 4x4 with off road tires at 70mph.  It's a much smoother sound than that, but similar in that it is a loud humming sound that is tied to the speed of the bike.  Both tires have right at 42psi of pressure in them, and I also verified with a small very accurate ruler that both sides of the rear wheel were adjusted to the same distance (guaging it from the same area as where the indicator notches are on the swing arm).

<!--EDIT|T5eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078770692 -->

Since it's an 03 my guess would be the plastic slider on the swing arm. The chain might rub on that when you get going and make a similar sound.

As for the dealership idea unless the damn thing just isn't running, i wouldn't trust them with anything!

I would for sure take it to JohnnyCheese, he is a good guy that will tell you straight up what you need to hear NO BS! He posts on here but haven't heard to much from him lately. He is probably swamped with the weather getting nicer.

I am thinking (Doesn't hurt too bad) that you might just be picking up some induction noise...  Don't take my word for it, if your concerned wheel her over to the Dealership or your favorite wrench and have them take a listen, should take about 10 seconds if all is well...

Rev
Rev -

I haven't been terribly impressed with the dealership I bought it from (took it to them for service, got it back dirty/oily, chain too tight, extra scratch on it, etc).  However, being that JohnnyCheese is so close by, I may take it by his shop and con him into riding it up the road to tell me if I am crazy or not.  Or, I may possibly take it and have a friend of mine ride it.  Not sure if he posts here but he has a Gold/Silver 99 he drag races, and just bought a Silver/Silver 03 like mine.  

Got-Busa -

The bike is an 03.  It currently has about 670 miles on it.  The sound I am hearing is definately not the fuel pump.  The reason I say this is it seems to be speed dependant, not RPM dependant.  It is really noticeable at 40-50mph and gets quieter as I slow, until it goes completely away right before I am stopped.  The best way I can describe the sound, is similar to a 4x4 with off road tires at 70mph.  It's a much smoother sound than that, but similar in that it is a loud humming sound that is tied to the speed of the bike.  Both tires have right at 42psi of pressure in them, and I also verified with a small very accurate ruler that both sides of the rear wheel were adjusted to the same distance (guaging it from the same area as where the indicator notches are on the swing arm).
Dude, you live near the Cheese?
rock.gif
Thats exactly where I would be! Make sure that what you got under you is running as good as it can....

Rev
Rev -

Got-Busa -

The bike is an 03.  It currently has about 670 miles on it.  The sound I am hearing is definately not the fuel pump.  The reason I say this is it seems to be speed dependant, not RPM dependant.  It is really noticeable at 40-50mph and gets quieter as I slow, until it goes completely away right before I am stopped.  The best way I can describe the sound, is similar to a 4x4 with off road tires at 70mph.  It's a much smoother sound than that, but similar in that it is a loud humming sound that is tied to the speed of the bike.  Both tires have right at 42psi of pressure in them, and I also verified with a small very accurate ruler that both sides of the rear wheel were adjusted to the same distance (guaging it from the same area as where the indicator notches are on the swing arm).
Dude, you live near the Cheese?
rock.gif
 Thats exactly where I would be!  Make sure that what you got under you is running as good as it can....
I think his shop is like 3 miles from my house. I won't have time to run by there for another week or so, but I think that's where I'll end up. Especially if this issue doesn't turn out to be due to the chain rubbing on that plastic piece.

Mikey D,

What year is your bike?  

I don't hear mine at all!  If you have a 99-00 then I could understand (outer pump)but my 01 and now my 03, I don't hear it at all after the initail pressure check start cycle!
I've got an 02.

My Busa exibits al of the noises that Rev mentioned. Very (almost alarmingly) noisy clutch in neutral.

Never noticed the intake noise tho.

Devinately hear the fuel pump.

Rev
Rev -

Got-Busa -

T5 -

Sorry to keep asking, but does the noise get quiter in volume or lower in pitch as you slow down?

Both.  Quieter and lower pitched.
tough with out hearing it in person.  

Did you check, maybe you have knobbie tires on it instead of street?  
biggrin.gif
A set of knobbies would make this thing one HELL of a dirtbike.

I am beginning to think that it may be, as was suggested before, simply the chain rubbing on that plastic piece on the swingarm. if that doesn't turn out to be it, I'll probably ride it over as soon as I get a chance and talk Johnny Cheese into riding it and telling me if I'm crazy.

lost here....don't here much except for the sewing machine noises...and the fuel pump.

Did you check, maybe you have knobbie tires on it instead of street?  
biggrin.gif
Check your front tire pressure and make sure that the tire is not worn funny.  My pressure got a little low last year and my tire got scalloped pretty badly.  I noticed a whine more so when I was in a lean instead of straight up but this may be what you are hearing.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078808839 -->

Back