? For The Stretched Arm Guy's

ToXSicK RoCKeT

Registered
Hey Fella's, quick question for you......do any of you guy's notice a rattle/weird sound from the chain area sometimes, like after accelerating and then letting off? At first i thought it was my chain gaurd rattling or something, so i put the bike up on the stand, pulled the guard off and put it in gear an ran it......Still making that damn noise ??? The best i can tell is its the chain slapping the top chain guide/wear pad. "YES" the chain is adjusted right, This noise doesnt sound right to me!!! I cant see anything wrong......maybe i should pull the front counter sprocket cover off too, and see if there's something wrong in there? SORRY.... guess it wasnt a "quick" question, but anyone else have this noise too? Any advise or ideas? Thx in advance.

It may help if you figure it out if you have someone else drive it around you at low speed so you can see and hear while off the bike. And or have someone else ride it while you ride another bike and look and listen. You can see and hear the chain fairly easily. Just an idea. Try to describe the sound.

Remember the chain to arm relation is diff when bike is squatted with your weight. It might just be chain slap? Thats a lot of chain length on stretches.

Never heard it on mine and I have about 6k on my 12 inch. My chain is a little tighter than normal though.....

I'm sure it is just chain slap... I had the same sound... Adjusted the chain and it went way... Make sure after you adjust it roll the wheel and check another spot on the chain...

It may help if you figure it out if you have someone else drive it around you at low speed so you can see and hear while off the bike. And or have someone else ride it while you ride another bike and look and listen. You can see and hear the chain fairly easily. Just an idea. Try to describe the sound.

Thx....But ya i tried that......its sounds like a "RATTLE" to me, but cant find a DAMN thing wrong.....and i cant hear it with my helmet on, but after my buddy heard me take off, HE THOUGHT MY CHAIN WAS COMMING OFF!! Thats when i hopped on it with NO helmet(just to hear)and i could hear it plain as day! And whats weird is its not constant, almost like one spot on the chain or SOMETHING is hitting only in one spot as it goes round(like the Zip Tie trick on a drive line).....but everything is BRANDNEW, i cant visually see anything wrong :banghead: :banghead: Guess im gonna have to pull (L) fairing off, and remove counter sprocket cover, i need to be a 100% SURE its only chain slap from being stretched now! My ZX12R had +7 over stretch with extions and never had this sound???

How did you stretch it? New arm or with extentions? I had a strange rattle on mine when I did the fatty kit. It ended up being the air-ride cylinder and the new knuckle ratteling. Plastic shimms and no issue, but I do tent to hear the chain slap when riding with the open helmet.

How did you stretch it? New arm or with extentions? I had a strange rattle on mine when I did the fatty kit. It ended up being the air-ride cylinder and the new knuckle ratteling. Plastic shimms and no issue, but I do tent to hear the chain slap when riding with the open helmet.

I stretched it with a Macintosh 3-9" over, Alumi Pro arm.

OK, Here's an update, tore the whole damn thing back apart(conter sprocket cover)......Pulled gear off, inspected EVERYTHING! Cant fing anything wrong, But, after i pulled the gear off....no chain to drive, i started it and did still here a "little rattle" was no where near the sound i was hearing, But still could hear it faintly!! WTF? it almost sounds as if its comming from the water pump??? but i highly dout putting an arm on would cause this sound??? HELP PLEASE:please: Can ANYONE make sense of this? maybe what im hearing is chain slap, but i want to be a 100% SURE before doing 189mph on this thing! the chain is brand new EKzzz The strongest one made, its straight as an arrow on the alignment, its not touching the frame anywhere..... I cant figure this out :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

this answers my problem too i did 12" swing arm took it for the first ride and heard the chain slapping also i will tighten it a bit thanks

Just another thought. As my chain got some wear on it I noticed that is made a chatter noise mainly cause it needed some extra lube. That quieted it down. I clean and lube every 600 miles. A little wear, a little dry, perhaps a bit out of adjustment either way and you can get noise from the chain.

Alright guys, Another update.......Just got home from a 45min ride around town(Too scared to get on the freeway) And....Well my conclusion is all is Normal; i guess :suspect: ! I cant find anything visually wrong, it drives straight, and "ONLY" makes the weird noise when you throttle off or coasting, Sooo the only thing it can be(I HOPE:please:) is the "longer" chain slapping the wear/guide pad on top, and im not familiar with it yet :dunno: So i guess i'll ride her till she proves me different :bomb: So Thanks for all the reply's and help! For now, this trouble ticket is closed :laugh: Don't know what i'd do without the .ORG and the Great people on here :bowdown: :beerchug:

Ive got the same issue, DME Arm, stretched 6" over and the chain hits the top of the arm, new chain will stretch a little so have to re adjust it and as stated above when the bike squats the chain tension changes, ill try adjusting the chain and see what i come up with! let me know if you find a solution to your problem!

Would a chain tensioner solve this problem? I use a tensioner on my drag 4 wheelers! I found this one that bolts to the under brace. I use in that is spring loaded on my drag 4 wheeler.

Chariot Chain Tensioner Banshee ROLLER BRACKET ONLY | eBay

roller.jpg

How can you calculate the tension strength required for the new chain?
"Tension strength" is kind of mis-leading,are you referring to chain adjustment or what chain to buy/use based on tensile strength. (the amount of pressure or force it takes to break a chain) Buy the strongest chain you can get. Easy. :thumbsup:
I'm not sure there is a 100% correct scientific calculation in regards to chain adjustment (if that is your question) on stretched arms. It's not like consulting a factory manual that usually gives a setting of like 3/4 of an' inch of slack at the half way point between the 2 sprogs on the lower run. Hopefully a full on hard core 1/4 mile guy will have your answer.They hammer them hard all the time. I have a 4" over arm and just go by feel. Turbo'd motor,huge HP,no issues for 10 years. I could measure the slop in mine,give you an' idea of the required slack if you think that would help. IDK. How long is the arm in question?
Rubb.

Back