Weird chain problem on '04 Busa

1meanZ

Registered
I was hearing a weird knocking noise when I would take off from a dead stop the last few days. I thought it was a clutch issue. I decided to look at the simple 1st and saw the chain was completely loose with at least 2 inches of slack. there was no change in the rear index marks. I adjusted the chain to 1 inch of slack and took it around the block. The knocking type noise is gone but there was a whirring noise coming from the rear sprocket and the bottom of the chain was bouncing. I put it on the stand and the chain appears to be binding once every revolution. It gets completely tight. The sprockets appear to make 2 turns for every revolution of the chain so that makes me think it is something other than the sprockets. Any ideas? CCT?

The bike is a 04 with 27,000 miles with stock chain and sprockets. Chain cleaned, lubed, and adjusted if necessary every 1000 miles.

You might have 1 link that is binding, not going back to it's original position.
It may be seized in place. Look at each link and see if there are any that don't go back to their position like the rest. You might even loosen the wheel and take the chain off the rear sprocket and bend each link back and froth and see if one is seized.

you are ready for a new chain... DO NOT ride the one you have... you have a link that is binding up and although unlikely, it could break and that sir is a bad deal and not worth the risk..

My bike developed a "surge" I could feel going down the road when this happened and I had to nurse the bike home 500+ miles..

Check with site sponsors (via PM) for chain prices.. (and maybe sprockets too)

10-4 on the new chain and also probably sprockets. Whats happening to you with your chain is a big symptom that the chain is worn out. Definately worth the time, effort and money to replace it.

You might have 1 link that is binding, not going back to it's original position. You might even loosen the wheel and take the chain off the rear sprocket and bend each link back and froth and see if one is seized.

Thanks everyone. Taking the chain off was my next step in the morning.

Back