Wow! 16/42 - Big Difference... now a question

Rocketman

Registered
Hi All - it's been a while since I posted. Been kinda busy. I had the local bike shop change out my gears and chain.

I put on an EK Drag Chain (non-O Ring) along with Steel 16/42 gears. I checked the slack in the chain - and it looks good. But the front gear area - whines - where it didn't before. I mean - it's noticeable from the passenger seat.

I'm concerned. Should I be? Is it just the non-O Ring chain? Could they have put the gear on funky?

Is it well lubed? Non o ringers sometimes do hum, especially when new. You will have to be double vigilant with chain upkeep, don't forget.

It is the after market front sprocket...the stock 17 has a rubber isolator to keep the noise down...normal :beerchug:

Yes it's all aftermarket. J something sprockets. (Quite common.) So - the noise just comes with the new sprocket then. Do other brands come with that isolator?

OK - as far as lube goes - how often? Do I just check it and see if it needs cleaning and greasing again kind of thing? Every Saturday OK if I'm riding 20'ish miles per day?

Thanks everyone.

Yes it's all aftermarket. J something sprockets. (Quite common.) So - the noise just comes with the new sprocket then. Do other brands come with that isolator?

OK - as far as lube goes - how often? Do I just check it and see if it needs cleaning and greasing again kind of thing? Every Saturday OK if I'm riding 20'ish miles per day?

Thanks everyone.

Only the factory one, and it's a 17.

lube that sucker as often as possible. It;s designed for racing and not street use so the maintenance is much higher.

oh boy, you get to clean and lube after every ride now!! woohoo!!! (or you can kiss chain life goodbye)

Why did you go with the drag race type chain? sure seems alike a lot of headache for no benefit on the street.. (assuming you do ride the bike on the street)

It was a mistake. I was working with drag buddy - who's awesome - and he was setting me up for the 1/4 mile a couple of years ago. I didn't realize it wasn't going to be a O Ring chain. It sat on the shelf for about 2 years.

My sprockets wore out and I had them replaced with the 3 pieces I purchased - from the drag racing time frame.

Money is way tight right now since business is tough. My aluminum sprocket on the back was toast. (Didn't know about not putting those on.) So I had to use what I had. Too many novice errors.

When I get some cash - I'll put on a better set up. I'm bummin.

I'm going to purchase my own chain breaker and rivet tool at some point so I can do this myself. :banghead:

So don't bum out about this, just maintain the chain with good clear stuff like PJ or Bel Rey before every ride. If long ride (over 150 miles) bring lube with you and have friend hoist bike on kickstand /front wheel while you spin rear and run a bead along BOTH sides of rollers...it's not that big of a deal! Wear surgical/Harbor Freight rubber gloves. Raydog

Did you put the washer on the inside? Aftermarket front sprockets need to be spaced out from the cases. Putting the washer behind the sprocket solves that problem and corrects alignment issues.

Did you put the washer on the inside? Aftermarket front sprockets need to be spaced out from the cases. Putting the washer behind the sprocket solves that problem and corrects alignment issues.

Thanks GM - I'll check with my mechanic and see if he remembers.

Also - good info here. This is helping me a ton.

I wear out rear tires alot faster with the 16/42 setup on the Luci. But on a good note, the front tire always looks like it's brand new.

Rocketman: There are usually used, stock O-ring chains on Ebay cheap. All you would need is a new master link and your chain tool to replace the drag chain.

I ride to Thailand once with that your set up,it became very loose when i reach that place.Crusing speed around 180km/hr.Total distance 1200km.The whole set up are aftermarket parts

Back