Quick Question 16-42 Sprocket setup

aldo

Registered
I got the steel 16-42 sprockets, question is do I need to get a new chain, current chain has 3000 miles. If I should get a new one, which one, size? Thanks.

how does your chain look? if you are adding both sprockets together, yeah you might think about getting a new chain at the same time. go with a EK ZVX and if you have a stock swing arm go with 112 links.

Or try a DID X-ring. My EK has stretched so many times i lost count.
The DID, twice.

depends on how you ride....nice and easy, no need. You may get 20k out of the stocker. However, I don't think you would be going 16/42 if you rode like a grandpa. I went with the DID zvm 530 x-ring at 7500 when I changed my sprockets...the days of chain adjusting are over, now it gets adjusted everytime I get a new back tire....about every 2500 miles.

I installed 16/42 on mine at about 2500 mile with stock chain and ran it to about 8000 miles before I was out of adjustment.I went back to 16/40 and a new EK530 xring chain. I ride alot on the highway and did not like where the RPM was at 60m to 70 mph. Bike pulls hard with the 16/42. I would use the stock chain until its worn out.

I think I'm gonna save the $140 on the new chain, stick with the existing chain like hooken says. I like the way the bike behaves above 5k RPM, I don't think I'll regret the 16-42 setup.

Back